2021 Silverado 3.0L Diesel having vibrations on the interstate 70-80 mph

Bought a 2021 Silverado with the minimax.  Love the truck except for the 17 inch rims and tiny tires.  So at around 800 miles I take it back to the dealer because it felt like the right front tire was out of balance.  Literally was told to let the truck settle in another 1000 miles before bringing back.  Yeah sure!? Ended up not being able to until about 5000 miles.  They finally checked it out and rebalanced all the tires.  Drove it another 1000 miles and still getting same vibrations.  Take it back again and find that one of the tires was out of balance again.  Found a belt broken in the tire.  Tire was replaced.  All good? Nope.  Still getting the vibrations.  The problem seems to only happen when crusing,not during acceleration or deceleration.  It is felt coming from the right front.  Noticeably from the passenger seat.  In my mind i want to suspect suspension but ive also known drivetrain can do the same thing.  Anyone else come across this issue?

On 7/20/2021 at 6:24 PM, Armydave81 said:

Bought a 2021 Silverado with the minimax.  Love the truck except for the 17 inch rims and tiny tires.  So at around 800 miles I take it back to the dealer because it felt like the right front tire was out of balance.  Literally was told to let the truck settle in another 1000 miles before bringing back.  Yeah sure!? Ended up not being able to until about 5000 miles.  They finally checked it out and rebalanced all the tires.  Drove it another 1000 miles and still getting same vibrations.  Take it back again and find that one of the tires was out of balance again.  Found a belt broken in the tire.  Tire was replaced.  All good? Nope.  Still getting the vibrations.  The problem seems to only happen when crusing,not during acceleration or deceleration.  It is felt coming from the right front.  Noticeably from the passenger seat.  In my mind i want to suspect suspension but ive also known drivetrain can do the same thing.  Anyone else come across this issue?

Armydave - Sounds exactly the same complaint I have.  Purchased the Denali last August 2020.  Not a smooth ride at 75 mph.  Had a road force balance 3 times.  Dealer also put sensing instruments on on underframe.  Dealer said all was normal.  BS.  Finally gave up.  BTW - I have the 22 inch tires on mine.  Somewhere in this forum I also started a thread on this topic.

Edited by Jaketab

On 7/23/2021 at 3:23 PM, Jaketab said:

Armydave - Sounds exactly the same complaint I have.  Purchased the Denali last August 2020.  Not a smooth ride at 75 mph.  Had a road force balance 3 times.  Dealer also put sensing instruments on on underframe.  Dealer said all was normal.  BS.  Finally gave up.  BTW - I have the 22 inch tires on mine.  Somewhere in this forum I also started a thread on this topic.

So I had the truck left with the dealer over the weekend.  The Master Tech drove it all weekend and said he could not replicate.  I decided to take him on a ride.  Now he feels what I have been complaining about this entire time. Something else I have noticed was that the tire pressure increasing from 34 to 37 over the time of this ride along.  As the pressure increased the vibration was felt more.  So we are under the impression that the tires are heating up and causing the pressure to increase.  So to prove this theory, they are going to swap out the set for a different set of comparable size.  Im hoping that this fixes the issue but now hearing that you have been getting the same issue makes me worry.   Keep an eye on tire pressure on the interstate as the tires heat up.

I too have a 2021 Denali Duramax with 22's. Same thing slight vibration, drove me nuts for 600 miles. I had similar issues with three of the previous generation truck. It was always the tires. The solution was to switch to Michelin defenders each time. So I sold off my rims and tires as a package and bought new Snowflake rims and Michelin Defender LTX. Smooth as glass. Also rides nicer on the Michelins. The Bridgestones were terrible just in ride quality alone, certainly didnt want to start chasing down bad tires too, which is always the case with Bridgestones. 

I have a 2021 Denali Duramax with the 22" Bridgestone's, I was able to cure my vibration pretty easily with some match forcing. I own a shop and the Bridgestone's are great tires which we have very few problems with, compared to other brands.

The tire pressure increase may be worth investigation.  I have noticed that when tires are cold the vibration is less noticeable.  Next time I find the time I will decrease the tire pressure after they heat up to see if that makes a difference.  Typically on a hot day the pressure increases from 37 to 40 PSI.

The factory tire on mine is the Bridgestone 275/50/R22.

23 hours ago, Armydave81 said:

So I had the truck left with the dealer over the weekend.  The Master Tech drove it all weekend and said he could not replicate.  I decided to take him on a ride.  Now he feels what I have been complaining about this entire time. Something else I have noticed was that the tire pressure increasing from 34 to 37 over the time of this ride along.  As the pressure increased the vibration was felt more.  So we are under the impression that the tires are heating up and causing the pressure to increase.  So to prove this theory, they are going to swap out the set for a different set of comparable size.  Im hoping that this fixes the issue but now hearing that you have been getting the same issue makes me worry.   Keep an eye on tire pressure on the interstate as the tires heat up.

Tire pressure rising while driving is 100% normal. 

Every 10 degrees F results in 1psi change up/down at cold pressure.  So if you set them 35psi on a 60 degree day, on a 90 degree day they will read 38psi before you even start down the road.  Again, completely normal.  Now add acceleration forces, braking, surrounding heat from brakes.  From cold tire to driving temps you can see a 2-4psi increase.  

The only fix they will possibly gain from swapping is proving the tires on your truck may have excessive road force or maybe one or more have a belt shifted, assuming the other wheels/tires make it ride totally smooth.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 10:15 PM, seamus2154 said:

I too have a 2021 Denali Duramax with 22's. Same thing slight vibration, drove me nuts for 600 miles. I had similar issues with three of the previous generation truck. It was always the tires. The solution was to switch to Michelin defenders each time. So I sold off my rims and tires as a package and bought new Snowflake rims and Michelin Defender LTX. Smooth as glass. Also rides nicer on the Michelins. The Bridgestones were terrible just in ride quality alone, certainly didnt want to start chasing down bad tires too, which is always the case with Bridgestones. 

I have the stock Denali rims on my 21 and recently bought the Michelin’s and swapped out the bridgestones. I am still getting the vibration. I am thinking it might be the wheels. I had the same vibration on my 2020 so I traded it in. The trucks are exactly the same except my 21 has the mini max and my 20 had the 6.2. Very disappointing 

10 minutes ago, CraneGuy said:

I have the stock Denali rims on my 21 and recently bought the Michelin’s and swapped out the bridgestones. I am still getting the vibration. I am thinking it might be the wheels. I had the same vibration on my 2020 so I traded it in. The trucks are exactly the same except my 21 has the mini max and my 20 had the 6.2. Very disappointing 

Do you miss the 6.2 at all? I have a 2021 TB with the 6.2 and have thought about getting an AT4 with the 3.0 diesel. I just really think I might regret it. The 6.2 10 speed is a beast!

9 hours ago, CraneGuy said:

That is surprising. It is rare to have a bad Michelin tire but my tire guy said he has seen it a couple of times. Nothing like other brands. Michelin is usually always the fix. I would take the truck to a known quality tire shop with a roadforce balance machine. It will identify a bad rim, or tire or balance it out correctly. It may be that simple. good luck

9 hours ago, Firehawk99 said:

Do you miss the 6.2 at all? I have a 2021 TB with the 6.2 and have thought about getting an AT4 with the 3.0 diesel. I just really think I might regret it. The 6.2 10 speed is a beast!

If you like passing other cars and going from 70 mph to 100 quickly you would notice a big difference. The 3.0 shines everywhere else. I loved the 6.2 it was an animal. I tow a race car, but wanted fuel mileage also. The 3.0 is an all around great package. It pulls strong and is very torquey in town but will not pass on the highway like a 6.2. That is the only downside. I drive 78-88 all day and its no slouch...but its no 6.2 in that one category. The mileage is crazy good. I get 24 mpg driving like an idiot. I get 28 being nice, and have gotten 30 being crazy. Very happy with the 3.0, does almost everything well. The 6.2 is a rocket ship hard to compare. So if that is what you like, and dont mind the fuel prices stay with the 6.2. 

On 7/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, seamus2154 said:

1 hour ago, seamus2154 said:

That is surprising. It is rare to have a bad Michelin tire but my tire guy said he has seen it a couple of times. Nothing like other brands. Michelin is usually always the fix. I would take the truck to a known quality tire shop with a roadforce balance machine. It will identify a bad rim, or tire or balance it out correctly. It may be that simple. good luck

Not very often we find out what forum members do. Are you able to give employee discounts for Michelin to forum members? 

Tyler

11 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Not very often we find out what forum members do. Are you able to give employee discounts for Michelin to forum members? 

Tyler

LOL Tire salesman would be a bit of a pay cut! But if you find any coupons or sales let me know, I need to switch my wifes GLC over to Michelin asap! It came with RF Pirelli Scorpions....horrible tire and ride. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 12:55 PM, newdude said:

Tire pressure rising while driving is 100% normal. 

Every 10 degrees F results in 1psi change up/down at cold pressure.  So if you set them 35psi on a 60 degree day, on a 90 degree day they will read 38psi before you even start down the road.  Again, completely normal.  Now add acceleration forces, braking, surrounding heat from brakes.  From cold tire to driving temps you can see a 2-4psi increase.  

The only fix they will possibly gain from swapping is proving the tires on your truck may have excessive road force or maybe one or more have a belt shifted, assuming the other wheels/tires make it ride totally smooth.

The tires have been road force balanced twice.  Thats when they found the one bad tire already.  Both times they were "within limits".  I understand the theory with the tire pressure.  I lowered the cold pressure in order to see if it would make a difference.  So far, nothing has actually changed. The reason we were thinking it was because the pressures would go from 35 to 39 psi from just driving, not even adding the actual temperature outside into the equation. 

On 8/7/2021 at 11:22 PM, Armydave81 said:

The tires have been road force balanced twice.  Thats when they found the one bad tire already.  Both times they were "within limits".  I understand the theory with the tire pressure.  I lowered the cold pressure in order to see if it would make a difference.  So far, nothing has actually changed. The reason we were thinking it was because the pressures would go from 35 to 39 psi from just driving, not even adding the actual temperature outside into the equation. 

Bring up the PicoScope to them.  All GM dealers have one (should have one).  Its a full blown vibration analyzer that can do way more than just vibrations.  They can hook that up to the truck and drive it to record all and any vibrations.  It will single out if its tire, engine, propshaft, etc. 

See if they will hook it up and have YOU drive it with the technician in the passenger seat running the scope that way YOU can try to replicate how and where it happens and he can record.  After reading your whole post again, it seems like they are stalling to use it/don't want to put the effort in.  

Edited by newdude