2017 Tahoe Trans issue

My wife’s 2017 Tahoe w 99k miles started shuddering. Took it to a transmission shop and they said it was def transmission, and a torn up pump is a common issue, he wouldn’t know for sure until he got it out. $3800-$5500. $5500 is for a replacement, less if he rebuilds. 

we just spent $1400 on the ac condenser weld problem. 

The internet says these are both known problems with class action suites. 

she loves her car and it’s great for what we need. I’m tempted to have it fixed and put another 100k on it. But maybe it’s a lemon. And the next high dollar problem is right around the corner. 

the alternative is to see what we can get for a trade in.  it’d have to be done quick cause she needs a vehicle. It usually takes her months of working on me to get me car shopping. 

A replacement vehicle would be A bit newer w less miles, potentially w remaining warranty and just be out of pocket the sales tax and a bit more of a monthly payment.  If we could get a reasonable  amount for it. 

not sure what to do. 

Lemon would be the trans went out in like 10-20k.

You have 100k on it.  $hit breaks.  

A reman trans would be a good option like a GM SRTA which gets you a 3yr/100K warranty.  If its a good trans shop, they can overhaul it and upgrade the trouble areas, but your warranty would probably be much less.  Most shops honor 1yr.  

On 8/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, mattd said:

My wife’s 2017 Tahoe w 99k miles started shuddering. Took it to a transmission shop and they said it was def transmission, and a torn up pump is a common issue, he wouldn’t know for sure until he got it out. $3800-$5500. $5500 is for a replacement, less if he rebuilds. 

we just spent $1400 on the ac condenser weld problem. 

The internet says these are both known problems with class action suites. 

she loves her car and it’s great for what we need. I’m tempted to have it fixed and put another 100k on it. But maybe it’s a lemon. And the next high dollar problem is right around the corner. 

the alternative is to see what we can get for a trade in.  it’d have to be done quick cause she needs a vehicle. It usually takes her months of working on me to get me car shopping. 

A replacement vehicle would be A bit newer w less miles, potentially w remaining warranty and just be out of pocket the sales tax and a bit more of a monthly payment.  If we could get a reasonable  amount for it. 

not sure what to do. 

Yea, the Tahoe's seem to be hit and miss.

We have had our 16 LTZ for 5 years now, paid it off after 2, and have had to put some money into it.

Steering rack, and rear MagnaRide shocks were the big ticket items, torque converter, a/c condenser, vacuum pump, and a few other things were all warranty. 

Wife loves it, drives it daily, and we owe nothing, so we keep it. Coming up on 90000 miles.

They hold their value, so if you are going to unload it, now is the time before you go much further past 100000 miles.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 Yukon Denali.  It sounds similar to what I've got going on.  I've got a very noticeable intermittent vibration coming from under the console.  Mine is still under warranty.  Guy at the dealer said it's a known issue.  It's in the shop right now.  He thinks a fluid flush will fix it.  We'll see.  I'm sitting at 44K miles.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2021 at 2:03 PM, MericanMade said:

I have a 2017 Yukon Denali.  It sounds similar to what I've got going on.  I've got a very noticeable intermittent vibration coming from under the console.  Mine is still under warranty.  Guy at the dealer said it's a known issue.  It's in the shop right now.  He thinks a fluid flush will fix it.  We'll see.  I'm sitting at 44K miles.

ask em to put in a new trans t-stat while its there.

21-NA-199