19' Trail Boss audio overhaul.

I added a pair of subs about a year ago and recently decided that the rest of the system needed an upgrade.  It started as the bose system in my trail boss. I removed every factory speaker except the center console sub.  The factory sub has been disconnected but is too big of a hassle right now to remove or replace and wire in with my other 2 subs. 

Because this information is not easily able to be found online I want to share that the dash speakers and the rear door speakers are 4 ohm speakers.  The front door speakers are 2 ohm.  The dash speakers are the only ones that say "BOSE" on them.  Not sure that means anything its just an observation.  I did not measure the subs resistance level as I did not remove it. I could have tested the wires that ran to it but forgot about it before it was too late. 

The parts list is...

JL audio vxi 1000/1

JL audio vxi 800/8

JL audio fix 82

JL audio vxi hub

JL audio vxi btc

JL audio amp wiring kit

JL audio 10tw3 subs

Hertz 6.5" in all 4 doors

Hertz 3" in dash

Hertz tweeters on pillars

As most are aware there is very little room back there. I had to get creative with how I was going to mount 2 amps and a couple of other accessories.  Under the rear seat is completely taken up with the sub box.  After I removed the back seat and got to looking at it I decided that I needed to move some stuff around.  Since I was going to install sound skins on the back wall and all door panels anyways I removed all the factory components from the back wall. I then installed the sound skins and took some measurements.  I designed up some new brackets and cut them out of carbon fiber plate as I needed something as thin and rigid as possible. I wound up moving the power inverter over to the drivers side as there was a big empty space there and utilized the factory "amp rack" to mount the JL audio fix 82, vxi hub, and vxi-btc bluetooth adapter. Closer to the passenger side I found a good space to mount the fuse block.

1.thumb.jpg.22f9bd7bf13712407d3fd7cbd2a435b7.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.cc48af8b8dfd2846fbf94e667305dbf0.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.33d4918f975657b44a950fb4ce0837d1.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.a97636a964c02ffe61c968a41f22e932.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.411b05c78843103dd39bb951ba7bf0c9.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.da6e9a56756298dc0845a1505970cf8c.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.df8a973380aba19f5db500e690d1f0ef.jpg

After that was squared away. I replaced all the door speakers and added sound skins to them as well.

1371549049_soundskinsdoors.thumb.jpg.a7651283dca2f296387532a81ab70d21.jpg

I found these aluminum tweeter pods on ebay and they didn't disappoint.

8.thumb.jpg.f48949a0241867120ff7eec22631be94.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.7a51ff3da694ea2033a22c88a356f3b8.jpg

I mounted the amps in the back seat storage pockets. I'm not going into a whole lot of detail about it because you just have to wing it on this one. Take some careful measurements and trim some of the plastic in the bottom of that storage pocket. Its not a fun job but not difficult either.

10.thumb.jpg.5548fda046a243fda430e3450adb9c80.jpg

Edited by DK91105
  • Like 3

I forgot to add that while I was in there I added the lighted sill plates. There is some confusion if these will work for a 19' model as they are stated to be for 20+. I can confirm that they install and work as intended just as the instructions say. After installing the plates on the trim pieces it took maybe 30 min to wire them in and put it back together.

11.thumb.jpg.2605da09b75e512fc0a12f567d66ef11.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.83a189f775285974814354ee88ebe36c.jpg

Edited by DK91105

1 minute ago, eppieguy said:

Nice Work, I wish I had that talent.

Thank you!   It didn't all come to me overnight I promise you that. I'm so picky about how things are it takes me forever to get a project done. That's about 3 weeks of off and on work for the install.

2 minutes ago, DK91105 said:

Thank you!   It didn't all come to me overnight I promise you that. I'm so picky about how things are it takes me forever to get a project done. That's about 3 weeks of off and on work for the install.

Seems to be well worth it to me! 

Ok, the key question - how does it sound? :)  Do you feel it was worth that amount of work? My ears are not what they once were, so a lot of nuance in a high end system is lost on me.....   

Did moving the dash tweeters up and pointing them out make a big difference? (I suppose you wouldn't know for sure without mounting them in the original position first...)

Edited by Chris Callanan

59 minutes ago, Chris Callanan said:

Ok, the key question - how does it sound? :)  Do you feel it was worth that amount of work? My ears are not what they once were, so a lot of nuance in a high end system is lost on me.....   

Did moving the dash tweeters up and pointing them out make a big difference? (I suppose you wouldn't know for sure without mounting them in the original position first...)

This is the type of thing that is all personal opinion but I think it sounds fantastic so far. You don't realize a bunch of the notes that you cant hear without tweeters.  I put a replacement 3" speaker in the spot where the factory 2.75" speakers were so the tweeters had to go somewhere else.

These are the new dash speakers. I had to cut some adapter rings for these as well.

13.thumb.jpg.bbdf6fc429f576b117fa19f8b4394ea8.jpg

Edited by DK91105
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 3:54 PM, BT3 said:

Great install

Any pics of the midrange in the dash?

Did you have to trim the opening any?

thx

Sorry for the late reply, yes. I had to trim the opening. I used a dremel with a right angle attachment / sanding drum. It was easy to do but was slow as it was trial and error. I didn't want to remove too much so I did a little, stopped and checked, repeat....  Its not pretty but you cant see any of it once the cover is on.

Edited by DK91105