Gear shift from D to N

Can you do that, yes. But is it saving you anything by doing that, no it's not. It puts wear on the transmission as well.

Vehicles for the past 25+ years or more have had a thing called deceleration fuel cut off. When your foot if off the throttle and you are coasting to a stop or coasting down a large hill, all of the fuel injectors turn off completely.

You can even watch this on your dash if you have that feature. Watch your instant fuel mileage in the cluster, when it pegs the gauge out to 99 MPG, there is no fueling being used at all because the computer has turned off the injectors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pay attention to CamGTP, he’s 100% correct.

You will actually burn more fuel by dropping it into neutral as deceleration fuel cutoff only works when the vehicle is in Drive or L (as the wheels can’t force the engine to turn in N, so it has to burn to stay on)

Oh, as an FYI, even without deceleration fuel cutoff, pushing into N doesn’t save fuel coasting. You would have the engine getting idle throttle either way, which is the same fuel burn.

All pushing into N on a downhill does is cost additional brake wear, because you lose a small amount of grade braking from having the wheels drive the engine, so you need to use more brake to maintain speed.

Right Peter, changing from D to N will let me go forward and far without any acceleration of the motor, and then I think that I will save gas because I can go more far without accelerate the car, and there is my concern related to the transmission because some people told me that this operation can damage the transmission due to the oil pump inside the transmission

The transmission oil pump is always spinning if the engine is running. The flex plate and torque converter are always connected.

Seems like a hassle to try and get every last mile per gallon, the minimal savings isn't worth it to me. Drive slower if you want better fuel mileage.

11 hours ago, Azner Garcia Granado said:

Right Peter, changing from D to N will let me go forward and far without any acceleration of the motor, and then I think that I will save gas because I can go more far without accelerate the car, and there is my concern related to the transmission because some people told me that this operation can damage the transmission due to the oil pump inside the transmission

Leave it in gear, you'll need the engine braking if some knucklehead stops down the hill in front of you.