Just a quick question regarding my 2021 Silverado 1500 Custom.....what is this thing?

Yes those are the only locations. 6 speakers in total. No tweeters at all. There are 6.5's in the rear doors, 6x9's in the front doors and 2.75" speakers in the dash. The dash speakers and the front door speakers share the same channels. 

There are plenty of options for the doors including adapters to mount 6.5's in the front doors. There are also harness adapters for the door speakers locations. I did not find adapters for the dash speakers but that became moot anyway once I amplified each speaker separately which required running wires to the dash. There are also very few speakers that will directly fit in the dash locations. Morel, Audiofrog, Kenwood and possibly Infinity that I am aware of. There could be more options. If you go with actual tweeters then a adapter plate or bracket will be necessary. 

This is the dash speaker and it's opening. This is the opening with the piller trim reinstalled. If you are willing to cut the dash you can fit larger speakers but as it sits there is only 3.2" of room in there.

20201216_165838.jpg

20201216_165915.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, remanaz said:

Yes those are the only locations. 6 speakers in total. No tweeters at all. There are 6.5's in the rear doors, 6x9's in the front doors and 2.75" speakers in the dash. The dash speakers and the front door speakers share the same channels. 

There are plenty of options for the doors including adapters to mount 6.5's in the front doors. There are also harness adapters for the door speakers locations. I did not find adapters for the dash speakers but that became moot anyway once I amplified each speaker separately which required running wires to the dash. There are also very few speakers that will directly fit in the dash locations. Morel, Audiofrog, Kenwood and possibly Infinity that I am aware of. There could be more options. If you go with actual tweeters then a adapter plate or bracket will be necessary. 

This is the dash speaker and it's opening. This is the opening with the piller trim reinstalled. If you are willing to cut the dash you can fit larger speakers but as it sits there is only 3.2" of room in there.

20201216_165838.jpg

20201216_165915.jpg

Thanks a lot for this info. It appears to me that this might not be worth the trouble of trying to upgrade to a high fidelity system.  I'm used to being able to remove the whole deck and start fresh. What did you decide to go with if you don't mind me asking??

I am stuck using the factory HU as you are aware. I ordered a loopback harness from LLJCustoms to take get speaker level input to one of my amps and then take the newly amplified signal back to the doors. I had to run a separate set of wires to to dash since they are  shared with the front doors by the factory wiring. They also make harnesses that do not loopback but will provide speaker level inputs to an amp or a line converter. The line converter option can be included in the loopback harness as well. 

The actual system is Stevens Audio tweeters in the dash locations, Hybrid Audio Legatia L6v1's in the front doors. The rear doors are not connected to the amp thus not playing. I have an Audio Control D6.1200 6ch amp for the fronts and DSP duty for the whole system. The D6.1200 also feeds the signal from the loopback harness to the sub amp which is an Audio Control LC1.1500. This amp is powering two Sundown SD-4 12" subs in a downfiring box under the rear seat. Origionally the 6 ch was powering the subs as well as the fronts. It just did not provide enough juice to get the subs to play well. So now I have an extra 2 channels. I may in the future go 3 way front by putting my Hybrid Audio Legatia L2se's back into the dash locations and then put the tweets in the pillars.