2019 5.3L ECOTEC3 V8 Silverado Engine Tick/Chirp

2 minutes ago, RSVolcom said:

Just picked up my repaired truck.

Passenger side lifter failed on cylinder 3.

Replaced all 8 lifters on passenger side.

Replaced 1 damaged push rode.

Replaced 1 damaged camshaft.

Along with some bolts, plugs, gaskets, & so on.

Covered by warranty.  All said & done probably around 10,000. with over a month of rental car charges.

As of now, very happy with the repair & both the Service Director & main tech that worked on it were great to deal with.  No issues on customer service at all.  I understand SOPs & with delays it parts it was what is was.

You are a saint for understanding the delays lol.  And its good that you seem to have a good dealer you worked with.

I read a little further up in this thread, the camshaft deal.  It can be a 50/50 depending on how far it was driven, how much if any damage was done.  My guess is that the lobe got ate up after the dealer said they couldn't duplicate and the full failure on your post on the 7th.  That failure that day is what probably took the lobe out.  If they were able to duplicate it the first time, the chances of cam replacement could have been less, but not 0%.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, newdude said:

You are a saint for understanding the delays lol.  And its good that you seem to have a good dealer you worked with.

I read a little further up in this thread, the camshaft deal.  It can be a 50/50 depending on how far it was driven, how much if any damage was done.  My guess is that the lobe got ate up after the dealer said they couldn't duplicate and the full failure on your post on the 7th.  That failure that day is what probably took the lobe out.  If they were able to duplicate it the first time, the chances of cam replacement could have been less, but not 0%.  

Ya, that was my understanding.  The tech that worked on it when I initially brought it in new what the issue was, but due to SOPs couldn't move forward with the repair since it didn't code as well.  Codes hours after I left & went back home.  The drive back is what did the camshaft in I'm sure.  

Fingers crossed the driver side stays for a few.  At 48 now, dumping it by 58 prior to the 60 warranty just because of this.

Maybe the Z72 will be out by then LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

So this past Friday night, just under 4 weeks after picking up my truck I received the Message Add Oil across my displays.  Pulled over & what do you know, dip stick is bone dry.  Called the tech & service manager that did the initial repair & they were kind of shocked.  Asked if I had a possible leak & if this was happening prior to the lifter failure & replacement.  Nope, nope, & nope all all questions asked.  Driveway is cement with no signs of anything.

Was upset since I just drove it 500 miles for my camping tripe.  Engine wasn't really make any sounds but to be honest with you I am rather hyper sensitive to the sounds this truck makes now.  Feels like a girl that you caught cheating & you just can never trust again. Well, I feel the same way about this truck now & want out of it regardless. 

Back to this, filed it with 3 quarts to drive it to the shop the next morning.  Dip stick was at level after that.  Went to the back of the dealership & went over everything with the tech, he is a great guy.  Pulled everything of the bottom & no leaks to be found.  Came to the conclusion that basically the tech that was working on this initially only filled it up with 6.5 & not 9.5 that these take.  Anything under 6.5 will not read on the stick.  Wow, this really pissed me of but it is what it is.  .

So, just waiting to dump this thing after the Z72 has been out for a year or so & chip availability is back to normal.  Not picking up a new truck that has no chips so options that I would like can't work.

Edited by RSVolcom

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I again received received the Message Add Oil across my displays Sunday night.  At the dealer ship Monday morning.  Running oil consumption test now.  3 quarts down in the same amount of weeks.  Be back by the end of next week according to the test miles being reviewed.  

Never had oil issues prior to lifter failure & replacement.  Always on point with changes & usually had it in just under the mileage requested for the change.  

I back the dealership & understand their SOPs to be completed.  Lets see what happens next.

Edited by RSVolcom

31 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

New Engine (with out the AFM) would be what I asked for.

Yes, that process should be approved when I bring it back next week.  Wasn't aware if I can request a none AFM one.  I turn the current one off daily when I start up.

37 minutes ago, RSVolcom said:

Yes, that process should be approved when I bring it back next week.  Wasn't aware if I can request a none AFM one.  I turn the current one off daily when I start up.

You can't request a non AFM engine.  They all have the parts inside them, no way around it.  The only thing you can do is to turn off AFM/DFM with something like the Range Pulsar LT.  

19 hours ago, RSVolcom said:

Well, I again received received the Message Add Oil across my displays Sunday night.  At the dealer ship Monday morning.  Running oil consumption test now.  3 quarts down in the same amount of weeks.  Be back by the end of next week according to the test miles being reviewed.  

Never had oil issues prior to lifter failure & replacement.  Always on point with changes & usually had it in just under the mileage requested for the change.  

I back the dealership & understand their SOPs to be completed.  Lets see what happens next.

Sounds like its going somewhere and not burning it if you went from no consumption prior to repair, and to lose 3 quarts so fast.  

On 12/7/2021 at 4:29 PM, RSVolcom said:

Came to the conclusion that basically the tech that was working on this initially only filled it up with 6.5 & not 9.5 that these take.  Anything under 6.5 will not read on the stick.  Wow, this really pissed me of but it is what it is.  .

They take 8 quarts, not 9.5.  9.5 is way overfilled.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update.  Oil consumption test was completed at 1,000 miles & the truck was left in last Monday.  Received an update the next day.  GM approved new engine replacement.  So waiting game as of now when then it will arrive & be installed.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last update with fingers crossed.  Picked up my truck yesterday with a NEW engine.  After dealing with this back to September 2021, I hope this is the last time with this thread.  I am happy that I have a new engine, however so did many of us when we purchased this truck originally that had lifter failures.  Not sure what's next.  Going to stay with this for a few or until needed.  1st time Chevy person after being in Toys for 35 years.