Bilstein lift height in front.

I’ve been reading a lot on the Bilstein 5100’s and one thing I haven’t seen much of is what people are actually getting height wise.  I know the top 2 setting are 2” and 2.5”, but what are people actually getting?  I’m trying to decide what setting to go with. Has anyone noticed that their’s have settled out over time?

Also,  would UCA be required or recommended if the highest setting is used?

I have a 2021 Silverado RST.  Thanks in advance for any input.  

On 11/2/2021 at 9:23 AM, Browtine said:

I’ve been reading a lot on the Bilstein 5100’s and one thing I haven’t seen much of is what people are actually getting height wise.  I know the top 2 setting are 2” and 2.5”, but what are people actually getting?  I’m trying to decide what setting to go with. Has anyone noticed that their’s have settled out over time?

I'm about to install some, but just my thoughts on it...

The physical measurement of the shock should be the distance taller than stock to make the difference. Also, the shocks use compressed gas inside. If it changes height over time that would seem to me like there is a leak. 

I'm interested to see someone's thoughts who have used them though.

11 hours ago, c0ld29 said:

The physical measurement of the shock should be the distance taller than stock to make the difference. Also, the shocks use compressed gas inside. If it changes height over time that would seem to me like there is a leak. 

What heights settings are you going with?  Let me know what the actual lift you get is, if you don’t mind.   I can’t find any in stock right now.  

11 hours ago, c0ld29 said:

What heights settings are you going with?  Let me know what the actual lift you get is, if you don’t mind.   I can’t find any in stock right now.  

13 hours ago, Browtine said:

I'm thinking 2" to level it. After I see how that looks I might add a 1" block in the rear. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend. 

I'll take some before and after measurements to compare actual vs listed.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, c0ld29 said:

I'm thinking 2" to level it. After I see how that looks I might add a 1" block in the rear. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend. 

I'll take some before and after measurements to compare actual vs listed.

I’m interested to hear the difference in ride quality? I have the ranchos right now on my RST and I want to go to Bilsteins I think because the ranchos are terrible over washboard and pot holes. Please let me know what you think! 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:23 AM, Browtine said:

Second setting is 1.75. That's the setting you want. 2.5 with a 1" rear block would also work if you want to go that route but for the minimal gain you are pushing the geometry of you suspension a fair amount more with that extra half inch. They say anything over 3" you need new UCA's. Even then you are going to start running into problems with torn boots, CV axles etc. 2" is the way to go IMO. 

Don't need UCA's. 

Just curious, why Bilsteins? What coils are you using? Don't like the factory ride? Do a lot of off-roading i.e. every weekend? 99% of people are better off with a spacer lift. Bilsteins are "nicer shocks" but are much stiffer than stock and if you pair them with longer stiffer coils you are going to drastically reduce the ride quality of your truck for anything other than off-road use. 

2" spacer is the way to go for 99.9% of people on this forum. $60 if you install them yourself and you maintain the stock "Cadillac" ride quality. If you do off-road, look into Fox coilovers which will also allow you up to 3" of lift but are also better on the road. 

On 11/5/2021 at 11:33 AM, FloridaChevy said:

Definitely interested to see.  Trying to choice of bilstein front and back, with 1" block in rear and upper control arm.  Or to go with a 3 inch lift kit that uses a spacer up front.

Yeah you could definitely run Bilsteins up front at 2.5 and a 1" rear block and UCA but that sounds like a massive misappropriation of funds. Gonna ride like crap. 

Either run a 2" donut leveling kit or run Fox or Icon Coilovers at 3" with an Icon or aftermarket "add a leaf" if you want to off-road all the time. 

Side note: you can fit 35x11.5 tires on stock wheels with a 2" leveling kit. 

1 hour ago, DustSierra said:

Second setting is 1.75. That's the setting you want. 2.5 with a 1" rear block would also work if you want to go that route but for the minimal gain you are pushing the geometry of you suspension a fair amount more with that extra half inch. They say anything over 3" you need new UCA's. Even then you are going to start running into problems with torn boots, CV axles etc. 2" is the way to go IMO. 

Don't need UCA's. 

Just curious, why Bilsteins? What coils are you using? Don't like the factory ride? Do a lot of off-roading i.e. every weekend? 99% of people are better off with a spacer lift. Bilsteins are "nicer shocks" but are much stiffer than stock and if you pair them with longer stiffer coils you are going to drastically reduce the ride quality of your truck for anything other than off-road use. 

2" spacer is the way to go for 99.9% of people on this forum. $60 if you install them yourself and you maintain the stock "Cadillac" ride quality. If you do off-road, look into Fox coilovers which will also allow you up to 3" of lift but are also better on the road. 

Yeah you could definitely run Bilsteins up front at 2.5 and a 1" rear block and UCA but that sounds like a massive misappropriation of funds. Gonna ride like crap. 

Either run a 2" donut leveling kit or run Fox or Icon Coilovers at 3" with an Icon or aftermarket "add a leaf" if you want to off-road all the time. 

Side note: you can fit 35x11.5 tires on stock wheels with a 2" leveling kit. 

Thanks for the response. I’m looking at bilsteins Bc my ride sucks.  When I hit a bridge transition or break in the rod it jars me and then I bounce down the road afterwards.  I’m currently running 2.25” pro comp lift, which pro com doesn’t even show as an offering on their website.  They only show the 1.5”, which is what I have minus the additional bottom spacer.  That is what was installed from the dealer.  Maybe the extra 0.25” is causing the jarring?  Surely not though.  I’ve looked at the fox but I don’t like the rebuild frequencies they recommend.  I don’t want to be Messing with that.  

when you say 2nd setting is 1.75” are you talking about the 2” setting and 1.75” is what you actually got?