Trading my 2020 3.0 Dmax for a 2022 2500HD Dmax, some thoughts

I really like my 3.0.  Its task over the past 1.5yrs was to be my daily, pull my boat and my 6800# travel trailer.  Did remarkably well.  I didn't like the 9300# towing limitation and next thing you know the 2022 3.0 Dmax can tow 13.3k, not that I think it's a good idea but that truck is underrated.  I would not hesitate to recommend the 3.0 for what I used it for.  I did add a S&B filter, Load lifter 5000, aftermarket wheels and level kit.

Upgraded my travel trailer and it weighs 8200# empty.  Eventually a 5th wheel is coming, prob in 1.5 - 2yrs.

I'm going to do the same to this, add bags, aftermarket wheels, level kit and CAI.

Tuesday she'll be here!

I did the EXACT same thing in May of this year. I had ordered a Sierra AT4 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 3.0 in December 2020. While we were waiting we decided to order a 27’ Airstream that weighed in at 6800 lbs max. As luck would have it, the truck came in two weeks before the trailer was delivered. 
 I really enjoyed the 3.0 power and economy on the highway. Sooo smooth!  According to published data of payload and towing capabilities, I felt the AT4 would be close to capacity but “should be OK”. I picked up the trailer installed a  Blue Ox Sway Pro and headed 70 miles home. 
 Although the AT4 had more than enough torque and horsepower to pull the trailer, it was evident I was at max payload. A stop at a Cat Scale confirmed my seat of the pants feeling. I was over my 1430 lb payload by 290 lbs and close to max rear axle load. I was at about 75% road ready loaded.

When I got home, I knew I could not travel 10-12k miles a year towing with the AT4. Very disappointed, it was evident I had to trade up to a 3/4 ton P/U. To my surprise the AT4 increased in value due to the chip shortages that were delaying new truck deliveries. 
 In a stroke of luck 4 weeks earlier a customer had cancelled his order for a 2021 Denali 2500 because he did not want to wait another month for delivery. I jumped on the opportunity and I had the truck in 8 days. The price difference after the trade was $9.5k! 
 I’m at 16k miles with the Denali. It has a 3055 lb Payload and that monster 6.6 Duramax! I’m extremely lucky and happy I decided to upsize. The trailering difference is like night & day.

image.thumb.jpeg.ecefa9e23159e1fd99ad6b57fbe91e39.jpeg

Edited by rickmc17

Nice looking truck.  Yea 3.0 Dmax is definitely a good truck.  I was getting 23 mpg with 3.73 gears going 70-75 not towing.  With 3.42's it would have been much better but I wasn't complaining at 23.

Supposedly the 6.6 Dmax gets good mpg not towing also.  Looking forward to getting mine!

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Nice looking truck.  Yea 3.0 Dmax is definitely a good truck.  I was getting 23 mpg with 3.73 gears going 70-75 not towing.  With 3.42's it would have been much better but I wasn't complaining at 23.

Supposedly the 6.6 Dmax gets good mpg not towing also.  Looking forward to getting mine!

6.6's can give good mileage, but not like the 3.0.

Similar tasks, my 3.0L is running a little over 25 lifetime (1 year, 16,000 miles) vs the 6.6's which generally gave numbers high teens. 

Of course they all will show higher 'cruising down the highway' numbers.  Above numbers tank averages.

You'll love they way the 6.6 pulls!

Congrats.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, redwngr said:

6.6's can give good mileage, but not like the 3.0.

Similar tasks, my 3.0L is running a little over 25 lifetime (1 year, 16,000 miles) vs the 6.6's which generally gave numbers high teens. 

Of course they all will show higher 'cruising down the highway' numbers.  Above numbers tank averages.

You'll love they way the 6.6 pulls!

Congrats.

This guy.  You have a 3.0 and the 6.6?  Nice.  I'll be happy with 20mpg tbh.

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

This guy.  You have a 3.0 and the 6.6?  Nice.  I'll be happy with 20mpg tbh.

Sorry if I mislead.

I've had 4 of 6.6's (one at a time) -- 2004 LLY, 2010 LMM, 2011LML, 2018 L5P 

I have the 3.0 because my needs no longer require a 6.6.

When the heavier jobs were done I tried 1500 8 speeds.

A 6.2 (NHT was unavailable when I was having it built) and then a 5.3NHT.  

After years of running 6.6's I just couldn't get happy with the way the gassers drove.  Pulling an enclosed utility trailer across the country with the NHT was the last straw and went to an '18 6.6. (even though the jobs for it didn't justify that much truck)

3.0 / 10 speed seemed to be what I'd been 'looking' for. 

I did order the 'standard bed' (so with the new body style, it's a little longer than the 2500 crew w/standard was.

Imho, they've made the 2500's too high/tall for ease of use -- getting in/out and access to the box.

A lifted 1500 (AT4 or either Trailboss) are still shorter than the 2500's. 

On 11/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, redwngr said:

Sorry if I mislead.

After years of running 6.6's I just couldn't get happy with the way the gassers drove.  Pulling an enclosed utility trailer across the country with the NHT was the last straw and went to an '18 6.6. (even though the jobs for it didn't justify that much truck)

I did order the 'standard bed' (so with the new body style, it's a little longer than the 2500 crew w/standard was.

Imho, they've made the 2500's too high/tall for ease of use -- getting in/out and access to the box.

You didn't mislead.  I was just making a joke.  I got lucky that a local dealer just happened to be getting a shipment of a few in.  So I put my deposit down and did all of the credit app stuff.  Tomorrow I'll pick it up.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, redwngr said:

Sorry if I mislead.

You didn't mislead.  I was just making a joke.  I got lucky that a local dealer just happened to be getting a shipment of a few in.  So I put my deposit down and did all of the credit app stuff.  Tomorrow I'll pick it up.