'22 3500HD Silverado LT CC/SB L8T First long trip drive impression

Picked up the truck at the Chevy dealer in Murray, UT, and drove back to Roseburg, OR.  Had a lot of time to get acquainted with the basic functions of the truck.  Thought I'd share in case it is helpful to someone else.

There was a good stretch of I-80, and the rest was mostly two-lane roads through Nevada, and Oregon.  Pretty lonely, and beautiful country.  Highest summit I remember was in Oregon at just over 6,100' elevation.  Had good weather all the way to the west side of the Cascades, where it was raining pretty good.

image.thumb.png.3bdb3d4fa577f024839f0fc1cccfebd0.png

Mostly traveled at or slightly under the speed limit, and used cruise control as much as possible.  There is a stretch of I-80 with a speed limit of 80mph.  I never went over 75mph, because my wallet is directly attached to the gas pedal.  Pretty sure that wallet was made in Israel since it starts screaming at even the smallest expenditures.  Very annoying on the ears, but good on the bank account.

Fuel mileage from Murray, UT to Winnemucca was just over 14mpg.  Fuel mileage jumped up to 15.6mpg between Winnemucca and Roseburg.  I think that is due to the major decrease in elevation, and also speed limits in Oregon are very conservative at 65mph, and 55mph.

Out of the dealership the rear tires were inflated to 80psi, and the ride was terrible, very skatey, and disconnected from minor inputs.  At Winnemucca the rear tire pressure was dropped down to about 62psi cold.  That made a huge difference in ride comfort, and also how the steering reacted. The truck stopped wandering around, and reacted better to small steering wheel inputs.  It also tracked straight for longer periods without needing correction input from the steering wheel.  TPMS showed in the green with the rear at 62psi and front tires at dealer set 60psi.  So I may drop the rear tires down to 60 when running empty.  That is all the Objective input I have. 

Subjectively speaking here are my likes and dislikes.  This is in direct comparison to the truck it replaced (an '07 Dodge Ram Laramie with the 5.9L Cummins that is loaded).  On a side note; After driving this Chevy, it is amazing how good that Dodge is.  Either it was ahead of its time, or the Chevy isn't much improved.  That was the single biggest surprise of the whole trip.

Pros:

* Smooth connected ride - once the rear tire pressure was reduced.  This truck has the Snow Plow/Camper special package with the heavy front springs.  I expected a harsh ride at both front and rear.  Pleasantly surprised that is not the case.

* Quiet - most of the wind noise seems to come from around the B pillar.  The engine is barely audible at cruise, and not more intrusive at higher rpms than the giant fan on the Cummins.  Overall it's a wash in sound level with the Dodge, and to me that is a win for the Chevy.  I was really concerned about loud engine at higher RPM, since I'll be pulling a big 5th wheel through mountain passes.

* Sun Roof ventilation - I love to put the Sun Roof in vent mode, and open the rear sliding window. It gets a nice fresh breeze without a lot of noise.  The Chevy wins over the Dodge on this, because of the volume of air flow, which can be adjusted with how far open the slider is kept.  The Vent position on the Chevy also increased air flow through the vents, so I can manipulate the airflow in the cab better.

* Rear fold down headrests - Thank you Chevrolet! So nice to have pretty much the whole view out the rear window.  On the Dodge, I removed the rear headrests.  Win to Chevy

* Seat Comfort - I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.  When driving long distance I like to have a more "kitchen chair" attitude.  So I raise the seat all the way up to get a more 90* angle at the knees.  The 10 way power seat adjustment allowed me to get an even weight distribution across the full length of my upper legs.  The seat back, and lumbar adjustment allowed a very comfortable weight distribution.  The seat cushions are also firm, which I like.  Overall, I hardly needed to move around to maintain comfort.  I give this a tie with the Dodge, but only because I recently upgraded the lower seat cushion and cover for the Dodge. The stock lower seat cushion on the Dodge is poor when brand new and breaks down quickly.

* Cubbie Holes - Chevy has these everywhere, and that is a win over the Dodge.  I have a hunting dog, so the truck is always full of "dog related" stuff.  The additional cubbies (especially in the rear doors) is a big help in keeping that stuff organized and handy.

* Mirror functionality - I like the view of the upper mirror better than the Dodge. The Chevy mirror is taller (yes the dodge can be flipped up, but when flipped it is not a wide a viewing area).  The big let down on the Chevy is the lower spotting mirrors.  Even when manipulated for maximum height, the view is very low.  It's going to be very interesting when I start pulling the 5th wheel.  Because of this I give the overall edge to the Dodge.

* Hood style - I really like the sharp edges of the Chevy hood because they allow me to figure out where the actual "corners" of the truck are.  I wish the raised strip (in front of the black plastic decor piece) was moved in about 2" on each side.  that would align it correctly with the steering wheel.  As is, I tend to drive this truck to the left side of the lane, because my mind is using that strip to "position" the truck.  It's something I'll have to train myself to readjust.  That said, it is a freaking huge truck, and makes the Dodge feel like a mid-size in comparison.  So overall the Dodge hood is hugely better in ability to view and "place" the truck.  Win to the Dodge

* Coast distance - When letting off the gas the Chevy seems to coast for ever with a very slow reduction of speed.  For hyper-milers this is really cool.  The Dodge has a PacBrake exhaust brake that stays on pretty much all the time, unless I want to coast, and even when the EB is off, it doesn't coast as far.  So Win to the Chevy here.

* Wiper function - I'm not an "auto wiper" kind of guy, so having a switch to manipulate makes me happy.  What I really like is how well the intermittent function, and wash function work.  there is a broad range of intermittent function that is intuitive for me.  The low and high speed also "fits" my likes.  Chevy was also smart enough to have the lights come on when the wipers are active.  In some states it a requirement to have the lights on when it's raining.  It's like my twin was the engineer who designed it.  The Dodge is good, but the Chevy inches away, and with turning on the headlights automatically is a big improvement. Win to the Chevy

* Dead pedal -  I have the rubber mats, so not sure how this would be with carpeted mats.  For me its positioned perfectly and is huge so I can move my leg around with it still usable.  Big help for worn out knees.  Chevy wins this.

Cons:

* Cruise Control - Does not downshift the transmission when speed increases. That is a huge fail to me.  The Dodge will downshift when speed is between 3-5mph faster than set.  It is also aggressive when hitting resume.  I would accelerate softer to regain speed.  Win goes to Dodge

* Turning radius - Terrible turning radius along with the size of the truck, and difficulty in knowing exactly where each "corner of the truck" is.  Dodge feels like a car in comparison.  Each corner of the Dodge is easy to see, and with a 140" wheel base (versus the 158" for Chevy) and solid front axle it is a huge difference.  Off road getting into the places I go to hunt and fish is going to be tough.  I'm actually a bit worried there. 

*Sun Roof Operation - The Dodge has a single rocker with a button in the middle.  A single press of the switch is all that is needed to move the glass into any position. The Chevy uses two separate switches, and requires manipulating both to change from vent to slide, and vice-versa.  Toyota is the same way.  Whom ever supplies these Sun Roofs to GM, Toyota, etc.  Need to have their engineer go use the Dodge Sun Roof.

*Display screen - The programming of the DIC was done by someone who has no plans to use it.  Fuel information is split apart with maintenance screens in between.  That whole thing needs to be rethought with input from people who will actually use it. 

* Center Console Cabinet - The console itself is nice, but the lift out tray is funky.  The Dodge has a two part lid.  The top opens to a shallow compartment, and below that is another latch that opens the bottom section.  Much easier to use on a daily basis.

* Rear floor use - The Dodge has a tray which folds under the seat bottom. When unfolded it makes a completely flat floor.  That tray is also split 60/40 like the bench.  Chevy was designed for carrying people, not stuff in the back.  For me that "stuff" is my dogs.  So I'll need to fabricate something to get a flat floor like the Dodge has.

* Throttle and Brake ergonomics - Both the throttle and the brake pedal feel long and spungey, like a Glock trigger.  Neither inspire confidence.  Since the truck is so big and hard to predict, I'd like a more direct confidence feeling with both brake and throttle input.  Parking lots and off road situations are where I'll struggle.

Mirror Defrost - Only functions with rear defroster.  Should be a separate button.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.  I like the looks (reminds me of a mid '60s Chevy). The ride is much better than expected for its load capacity, the engine is reasonably quiet even at high rpm/load, the fuel mileage is reasonable.  To me this new Chevy is not a "better" truck than the old Dodge it replaced (imo Chevy should make their design engineers drive Dodges), but it fits my specific needs better for capacity and fuel type.  That said, if Dodge could build a commercial grade gasoline engine like Chevy and Ford have done, I'd have happily bought another Dodge.  Had I been looking for another diesel, Dodge would have been the choice.

It will be another month before I pull the 5th wheel.  I'll add a post after that trip with my thoughts.

Truck-Natural-Habitat.jpg

Larry H. Miller Chevrolet Murray to Pilot Travel Center - Google Maps.pdf

• Like 1

Couple of things I forgot to put in the above post:

Pros:

* Headlights - The halogen headlights are surprisingly great.  I like Halogen and HID, but struggle with LED because of the harshness.  Was really impressed with low and high beam operation.  Felt comfortable up to 65mph with low beams on a dark road.

* Adding Apps - So far I've only added Pandora.  I did it while waiting at a road construction stop.  Had it downloaded, installed and was listening to music by the time the guy flipped the sign from Stop to Slow. 

* Setting up Android Auto - I'm a luddite by choice.  That said, when I have to or want to use it, I'm tech savvy enough to know good from bad.  The interface over Bluetooth was easy.

Cons: 

* The + and - transmission shift buttons don't work in normal Drive mode.  Since the transmission won't downshift to help control speed in normal drive mode on steep descents, it would be nice to use the shifter buttons. 

ETA: Update 4/29/2022 w fuel mileage info at 3221 miles.

Edited by sheath
Add update post link

Nice truck and nice review.   I have the same color but a 2020.  A few of the things you mentioned can be tweaked a bit as you learn the system.  I am still figuring things out as there are so many things that can be customized. Thanks for the great writeup and enjoy that new truck!

• Like 1

Thanks Sean.  :cheers:

You are right, I have a lot to learn for sure.

It's funny because reading what I wrote seems like I'm not impressed with the Chevy.  But actually I am.  The truck is pretty awesome.  It just really surprised me how darn good that old Dodge is. 

My buddy back home has it currently.  He's as picky as me, and he was also surprised.  

I'm looking forward to getting more engaged with this new truck over the next month, before heading out with the 5th wheel. 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, sheath said:

Picked up the truck at the Chevy dealer in Murray, UT, and drove back to Roseburg, OR.  Had a lot of time to get acquainted with the basic functions of the truck.  Thought I'd share in case it is helpful to someone else.

There was a good stretch of I-80, and the rest was mostly two-lane roads through Nevada, and Oregon.  Pretty lonely, and beautiful country.  Highest summit I remember was in Oregon at just over 6,100' elevation.  Had good weather all the way to the west side of the Cascades, where it was raining pretty good.

image.thumb.png.3bdb3d4fa577f024839f0fc1cccfebd0.png

Mostly traveled at or slightly under the speed limit, and used cruise control as much as possible.  There is a stretch of I-80 with a speed limit of 80mph.  I never went over 75mph, because my wallet is directly attached to the gas pedal.  Pretty sure that wallet was made in Israel since it starts screaming at even the smallest expenditures.  Very annoying on the ears, but good on the bank account.

Fuel mileage from Murray, UT to Winnemucca was just over 14mpg.  Fuel mileage jumped up to 15.6mpg between Winnemucca and Roseburg.  I think that is due to the major decrease in elevation, and also speed limits in Oregon are very conservative at 65mph, and 55mph.

Out of the dealership the rear tires were inflated to 80psi, and the ride was terrible, very skatey, and disconnected from minor inputs.  At Winnemucca the rear tire pressure was dropped down to about 62psi cold.  That made a huge difference in ride comfort, and also how the steering reacted. The truck stopped wandering around, and reacted better to small steering wheel inputs.  It also tracked straight for longer periods without needing correction input from the steering wheel.  TPMS showed in the green with the rear at 62psi and front tires at dealer set 60psi.  So I may drop the rear tires down to 60 when running empty.  That is all the Objective input I have. 

Subjectively speaking here are my likes and dislikes.  This is in direct comparison to the truck it replaced (an '07 Dodge Ram Laramie with the 5.9L Cummins that is loaded).  On a side note; After driving this Chevy, it is amazing how good that Dodge is.  Either it was ahead of its time, or the Chevy isn't much improved.  That was the single biggest surprise of the whole trip.

Pros:

* Smooth connected ride - once the rear tire pressure was reduced.  This truck has the Snow Plow/Camper special package with the heavy front springs.  I expected a harsh ride at both front and rear.  Pleasantly surprised that is not the case.

* Quiet - most of the wind noise seems to come from around the B pillar.  The engine is barely audible at cruise, and not more intrusive at higher rpms than the giant fan on the Cummins.  Overall it's a wash in sound level with the Dodge, and to me that is a win for the Chevy.  I was really concerned about loud engine at higher RPM, since I'll be pulling a big 5th wheel through mountain passes.

* Sun Roof ventilation - I love to put the Sun Roof in vent mode, and open the rear sliding window. It gets a nice fresh breeze without a lot of noise.  The Chevy wins over the Dodge on this, because of the volume of air flow, which can be adjusted with how far open the slider is kept.  The Vent position on the Chevy also increased air flow through the vents, so I can manipulate the airflow in the cab better.

* Rear fold down headrests - Thank you Chevrolet! So nice to have pretty much the whole view out the rear window.  On the Dodge, I removed the rear headrests.  Win to Chevy

* Seat Comfort - I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.  When driving long distance I like to have a more "kitchen chair" attitude.  So I raise the seat all the way up to get a more 90* angle at the knees.  The 10 way power seat adjustment allowed me to get an even weight distribution across the full length of my upper legs.  The seat back, and lumbar adjustment allowed a very comfortable weight distribution.  The seat cushions are also firm, which I like.  Overall, I hardly needed to move around to maintain comfort.  I give this a tie with the Dodge, but only because I recently upgraded the lower seat cushion and cover for the Dodge. The stock lower seat cushion on the Dodge is poor when brand new and breaks down quickly.

* Cubbie Holes - Chevy has these everywhere, and that is a win over the Dodge.  I have a hunting dog, so the truck is always full of "dog related" stuff.  The additional cubbies (especially in the rear doors) is a big help in keeping that stuff organized and handy.

* Mirror functionality - I like the view of the upper mirror better than the Dodge. The Chevy mirror is taller (yes the dodge can be flipped up, but when flipped it is not a wide a viewing area).  The big let down on the Chevy is the lower spotting mirrors.  Even when manipulated for maximum height, the view is very low.  It's going to be very interesting when I start pulling the 5th wheel.  Because of this I give the overall edge to the Dodge.

* Hood style - I really like the sharp edges of the Chevy hood because they allow me to figure out where the actual "corners" of the truck are.  I wish the raised strip (in front of the black plastic decor piece) was moved in about 2" on each side.  that would align it correctly with the steering wheel.  As is, I tend to drive this truck to the left side of the lane, because my mind is using that strip to "position" the truck.  It's something I'll have to train myself to readjust.  That said, it is a freaking huge truck, and makes the Dodge feel like a mid-size in comparison.  So overall the Dodge hood is hugely better in ability to view and "place" the truck.  Win to the Dodge

* Coast distance - When letting off the gas the Chevy seems to coast for ever with a very slow reduction of speed.  For hyper-milers this is really cool.  The Dodge has a PacBrake exhaust brake that stays on pretty much all the time, unless I want to coast, and even when the EB is off, it doesn't coast as far.  So Win to the Chevy here.

* Wiper function - I'm not an "auto wiper" kind of guy, so having a switch to manipulate makes me happy.  What I really like is how well the intermittent function, and wash function work.  there is a broad range of intermittent function that is intuitive for me.  The low and high speed also "fits" my likes.  Chevy was also smart enough to have the lights come on when the wipers are active.  In some states it a requirement to have the lights on when it's raining.  It's like my twin was the engineer who designed it.  The Dodge is good, but the Chevy inches away, and with turning on the headlights automatically is a big improvement. Win to the Chevy

* Dead pedal -  I have the rubber mats, so not sure how this would be with carpeted mats.  For me its positioned perfectly and is huge so I can move my leg around with it still usable.  Big help for worn out knees.  Chevy wins this.

Cons:

* Cruise Control - Does not downshift the transmission when speed increases. That is a huge fail to me.  The Dodge will downshift when speed is between 3-5mph faster than set.  It is also aggressive when hitting resume.  I would accelerate softer to regain speed.  Win goes to Dodge

* Turning radius - Terrible turning radius along with the size of the truck, and difficulty in knowing exactly where each "corner of the truck" is.  Dodge feels like a car in comparison.  Each corner of the Dodge is easy to see, and with a 140" wheel base (versus the 158" for Chevy) and solid front axle it is a huge difference.  Off road getting into the places I go to hunt and fish is going to be tough.  I'm actually a bit worried there. 

*Sun Roof Operation - The Dodge has a single rocker with a button in the middle.  A single press of the switch is all that is needed to move the glass into any position. The Chevy uses two separate switches, and requires manipulating both to change from vent to slide, and vice-versa.  Toyota is the same way.  Whom ever supplies these Sun Roofs to GM, Toyota, etc.  Need to have their engineer go use the Dodge Sun Roof.

*Display screen - The programming of the DIC was done by someone who has no plans to use it.  Fuel information is split apart with maintenance screens in between.  That whole thing needs to be rethought with input from people who will actually use it. 

* Center Console Cabinet - The console itself is nice, but the lift out tray is funky.  The Dodge has a two part lid.  The top opens to a shallow compartment, and below that is another latch that opens the bottom section.  Much easier to use on a daily basis.

* Rear floor use - The Dodge has a tray which folds under the seat bottom. When unfolded it makes a completely flat floor.  That tray is also split 60/40 like the bench.  Chevy was designed for carrying people, not stuff in the back.  For me that "stuff" is my dogs.  So I'll need to fabricate something to get a flat floor like the Dodge has.

* Throttle and Brake ergonomics - Both the throttle and the brake pedal feel long and spungey, like a Glock trigger.  Neither inspire confidence.  Since the truck is so big and hard to predict, I'd like a more direct confidence feeling with both brake and throttle input.  Parking lots and off road situations are where I'll struggle.

Mirror Defrost - Only functions with rear defroster.  Should be a separate button.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.  I like the looks (reminds me of a mid '60s Chevy). The ride is much better than expected for its load capacity, the engine is reasonably quiet even at high rpm/load, the fuel mileage is reasonable.  To me this new Chevy is not a "better" truck than the old Dodge it replaced (imo Chevy should make their design engineers drive Dodges), but it fits my specific needs better for capacity and fuel type.  That said, if Dodge could build a commercial grade gasoline engine like Chevy and Ford have done, I'd have happily bought another Dodge.  Had I been looking for another diesel, Dodge would have been the choice.

It will be another month before I pull the 5th wheel.  I'll add a post after that trip with my thoughts.

Truck-Natural-Habitat.jpg

Larry H. Miller Chevrolet Murray to Pilot Travel Center - Google Maps.pdf 336.96 kB · 3 downloads

Excellent review.

You mentioned that you used your cruise control as much as possible.  I thought this was not a good idea for a vehicle break in?  Whenever my truck gets delivered, I will have a 345 mile Turnpike commute and probably will be using the cruise control as well.

Nice truck btw!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cheekster96 said:

Excellent review.

You mentioned that you used your cruise control as much as possible.  I thought this was not a good idea for a vehicle break in?  Whenever my truck gets delivered, I will have a 345 mile Turnpike commute and probably will be using the cruise control as well.

Nice truck btw!!

Thanks for the compliment on the truck.

To support your thought, on page 228 of the Owner's Manual it states: " The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in.  But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:

* Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 800km (500 mi)...."

Certainly I would not recommend anyone else follow my poor choices... lol

:cheers:

On 3/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, sheath said:

That said, if Dodge could build a commercial grade gasoline engine like Chevy and Ford have done, I'd have happily bought another Dodge.  Had I been looking for another diesel, Dodge would have been the choice.

The Hemi 6.4 in the 2500/3500 is just as much "commerical grade" as the Ford 6.2/73 and the GM 6.6.

19 hours ago, the wanderer said:

The Hemi 6.4 in the 2500/3500 is just as much "commerical grade" as the Ford 6.2/73 and the GM 6.6.

No it isn't.  It is a derivative used cross platform with cylinder deactivation and start/stop tech, 16 spark plugs, etc..  It also has some real deficiencies that has plagued it from the beginning.

The Ford 7.3L and GM 6.6L used in their truck platform is a specific engine designed for commercial customers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheath said:

No it isn't.  It is a derivative used cross platform with cylinder deactivation and start/stop tech, 16 spark plugs, etc..  It also has some real deficiencies that has plagued it from the beginning.

The Ford 7.3L and GM 6.6L used in their truck platform is a specific engine designed for commercial customers.

There are two 6.4's, the SRT (used in their cars, Jeep etc), and the 6.4 BGE which is a completely different engine designed specifically for the 2500; it is not used anywhere else to date. It has far less HP/torque numbers than the SRT, and there are some serious mechanical differences. It's a heavy duty engine designed to be worked, just like the the other 3/4 1 ton engines are.

Edited by the wanderer

18 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

There are two 6.4's, the SRT (used in their cars, Jeep etc), and the 6.4 BGE which is a completely different engine designed specifically for the 2500; it is not used anywhere else to date. It has far less HP/torque numbers than the SRT, and there are some serious mechanical differences. It's a heavy duty engine designed to be worked, just like the the other 3/4 1 ton engines are.

That is akin to sayiing the 6.2L engine used in the Chevy was a completely different engine designed specifically for the 2500/3500.  It wasn't, and neither is the 6.4L Dodge engine used in the 2500/3500.

The Dodge 6.4L BGE is not a "completely different engine".  It uses the same 6.4l architecture that came out in 2011.  They added more nickle to the block, and changed the water ports for rigidity.  Then added higher strength components for durability (simplified explanation).   Hence why Dodge fans like me are pushing for a new engine to compete.  Take the best of the Ford Godzilla (port injection), and Chevy L8T (ability to tow heavy on 87 octane), and resolve the ongoing 6.4L issues with a new design. Keep tech simple and cheap for fleet use. 

Both the Ford and Chevy, are new specific engine designs to meet the needs of fleet customers.  Dodge is not... yet.

1 hour ago, sheath said:

That is akin to sayiing the 6.2L engine used in the Chevy was a completely different engine designed specifically for the 2500/3500.  It wasn't, and neither is the 6.4L Dodge engine used in the 2500/3500.

The Dodge 6.4L BGE is not a "completely different engine".  It uses the same 6.4l architecture that came out in 2011.  They added more nickle to the block, and changed the water ports for rigidity.  Then added higher strength components for durability (simplified explanation).   Hence why Dodge fans like me are pushing for a new engine to compete.  Take the best of the Ford Godzilla (port injection), and Chevy L8T (ability to tow heavy on 87 octane), and resolve the ongoing 6.4L issues with a new design. Keep tech simple and cheap for fleet use. 

Both the Ford and Chevy, are new specific engine designs to meet the needs of fleet customers.  Dodge is not... yet.

I think you're trying to force distinctions where there are none. This is a heavy duty truck engine, designed for "commercial" usage. It doesn't require 89 octane, it runs fine on 87 but gets slightly more power/mpg on 89.

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=183

1 hour ago, the wanderer said:

I think you're trying to force distinctions where there are none. This is a heavy duty truck engine, designed for "commercial" usage. It doesn't require 89 octane, it runs fine on 87 but gets slightly more power/mpg on 89.

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=183

I'm not forcing anything.  The 6.4l hemi was designed in 2011, it was repurposed for use in their trucks in 2015.  It is still a 6.4L hemi, with the issues that have been there since 2011.  Both the 6.6L in the Chevy and the 7.3L in the Ford are specific to their medium duty trucks.  Neither architecture is used in a car platform.

That's pretty straight forward.  You can argue to the cows come home, but you are still incorrect in this case.

1 minute ago, sheath said:

I'm not forcing anything.  The 6.4l hemi was designed in 2011, it was repurposed for use in their trucks in 2015.  It is still a 6.4L hemi, with the issues that have been there since 2011.  Both the 6.6L in the Chevy and the 7.3L in the Ford are specific to their medium duty trucks.  Neither architecture is used in a car platform.

That's pretty straight forward.  You can argue to the cows come home, but you are still incorrect in this case.

You most definitely are trying to force distinctions, and despite that you are still incorrect. Doesn't matter that you can find design history stretching back years, the current 6.4 BGE as it is "now", was first released in 2014 and it is only found in the Ram 2500. It's designed specifically for heavy duty truck usage and includes features not found on other hemis not designed for truck usage, such as piston cooling oil jets, sodium filled exhaust valves, forged steel crank shaft, strengthened connecting rods etc etc. 

I'm not saying it's the best engine out there, I'm saying, the 6.4 is a heavy duty truck engine used exclusively in their heavy duty trucks. It's not used in a car platform, that's the SRT 6.4 and there is large difference between those 2 engines. The SRT is designed for peak power, the BGE is designed for durability and abuse.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

You most definitely are trying to force distinctions, and despite that you are still incorrect. Doesn't matter that you can find design history stretching back years, the current 6.4 BGE as it is "now", was first released in 2014 and it is only found in the Ram 2500. It's designed specifically for heavy duty truck usage and includes features not found on other hemis not designed for truck usage, such as piston cooling oil jets, sodium filled exhaust valves, forged steel crank shaft, strengthened connecting rods etc etc. 

I'm not saying it's the best engine out there, I'm saying, the 6.4 is a heavy duty truck engine used exclusively in their heavy duty trucks. It's not used in a car platform, that's the SRT 6.4 and there is large difference between those 2 engines. The SRT is designed for peak power, the BGE is designed for durability and abuse.

You're wrong.