'22 3500HD Silverado LT CC/SB L8T First long trip drive impression

Great review.  I second the crappy brakes and the DIC/whole touchscreen system on these trucks.  What boggles me is its literally the same chevy DIC system  as it was in a 2014 I had which is sad not well laid out.  And the dash/gauges for a 22 is a complete joke.

You mentioned turning radius which is bad, but the last comparable I had was a 2012 F250 so really have no idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nards444 said:

Great review.  I second the crappy brakes and the DIC/whole touchscreen system on these trucks.  What boggles me is its literally the same chevy DIC system  as it was in a 2014 I had which is sad not well laid out.  And the dash/gauges for a 22 is a complete joke.

You mentioned turning radius which is bad, but the last comparable I had was a 2012 F250 so really have no idea.

Thanks for the comments. :cheers:

Coming from the Dodge with a 140" wheel base, narrower track and solid front axle, the turning radius difference is pronounced.  I'm getting used to it, and when hitched to the 5th wheel isn't too noticeable.  Parking lots are an adventure.  Parking way out in the open area, provides an opportunity for well needed exercise. lol  All the trucks are growing longer wider, so it is probably comparable to a new Ford or Dodge.  Haven't looked at the specs.

Overall, I really like the truck.  It hasn't established a character yet, like the Dodge had.  Probably discover that off road during hunting season.  Fingers crossed it's a good character.

14 hours ago, sheath said:

Thanks for the comments. :cheers:

Coming from the Dodge with a 140" wheel base, narrower track and solid front axle, the turning radius difference is pronounced.  I'm getting used to it, and when hitched to the 5th wheel isn't too noticeable.  Parking lots are an adventure.  Parking way out in the open area, provides an opportunity for well needed exercise. lol  All the trucks are growing longer wider, so it is probably comparable to a new Ford or Dodge.  Haven't looked at the specs.

Overall, I really like the truck.  It hasn't established a character yet, like the Dodge had.  Probably discover that off road during hunting season.  Fingers crossed it's a good character.

Im on my third chevy, had 4 fords and one ram in the last 20 years.  Ive tended to like the fords the best, this go around due to the market and getting employee discount I went chevy.  With the ram I had and others they always looked nice and had some nice innovation, but always felt the Rams fit and finish was just cheaper then the other two.  GM is solid but lags behind Ford in many ways as i explained above.  Either way I dont think you can go wrong on what you pick

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Two thing I've been noticing lately as I run a lot more gravel roads and two track is this truck could really benefit from a steering stabilizer, and long mud flaps.

After a couple of hours of having the steering wheel yanking back and forth through my hands due to pot holes, braking/acceleration chop, rain ruts, etc., it can get tiring. Between that and hearing rocks "dinging" off the rockers and bed, it gets old.  

Thinking of ordering this steering stabilizer kit, to help minimize the steering wheel movement:

SuspensionMax Steering Stabilizer

PM'd a couple of guys on this forum who've had this kit on for a year. or so.  Will be interested in their "long term" view of the kit.  I've used the RS5000 stabilizer before on more off-road oriented builds, and it has done a workman's job.

To help with the rocks, I'm looking at a set of extended mudflaps. Something like this (about 9" of extension below OEM optional mud flaps):

Mud Flap Extensions

Along with a set of nerf steps that run the length of the cab, it "should" help keep the rocks from damaging the body.

Only time will tell.

• Like 1