2004 S 10 door perfomance

Who has poor door performance on their truck? Does the door not stay open? Do the detentes (the places the door "offers" to stay open)
not exist? How  did you fix it or do you just live with it?

• 2 weeks later...

My truck in an extended cab model. The driver's door eats upper hinge bushings for breakfast. I'm on my third set in about four months of ownership. I clearly have alignment or support issue. I read that genuine GM bushings are better than the Dorman "Help" kit bushings, will be ordering a couple of those soon.

Bushings at the (stealer) dealer are stupid expensive. Auto Zone sells bronze bushing (like GMs) for way less money. If you're going through bushings that fast some thing is terribly fubar.. The door is twisted, some one is leaning on the door A LOT, there is a lot of dirt in the hinge area. Mud flaps might help.

Eastwood had a tool at one time; it hooked on to the Nader Bolt (strike plate) and latched into the door latch: I think the idea was you could adjust the hinges (back when they were bolted to the door and the body proper) using this tool to check for level. It's no longer on the site. Back then there was no WEB SITE!

Edited by dna9656
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fellas, there is no rotational wear on the bushings when the door is in the open or closed position. I know the door bounces up and down going down the road and that certainly is a contributor. The door shouldn't fall when you open the door nor should have to be slammed or lifter when closed. This is not the problem for me. My doors won't stay open, they swing back towards the body of the truck; like maybe the truck took a hit and the frame is bowed downward.

I found this today...

https://www.cunninghammachine.com/product/heavy-duty-chevrolet-gmc-truck-1994-2005-s10-bronze-door-bushings/

I naturally found it AFTER I ordered some genuine GM bushings to replace the Dorman bushings. I'm going to order these when

the Chevy bushings fail 😆

• Like 1

Spiney,

Those Look SWEET!  Next Time I redo Mine that's the way I will go!.

Thanks!

DNA, My Drivers Door "Detent" is worn out! door closes on me all the time. Without replacing the Whole Hinge Assy. I don't know what else to do.

I am Living with it for now.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Those Dorman bushings are CRAP! They're made of sintered bronze. I like the idea of those ^^^ bushing. They're actually made on a lathe...from real metal.

Has anyone tried the "block of wood" sagging door adjustment method? Seems too good to be true.

• 1 month later...

The block of wood method is a bad method, it bends the face  (the part of the door where the hinge is mounted) of the door, then the weight of the door pushes against the hinge and the face bends again, soon it's like the bottom of an oil can and the only way to fix it is with shims. shims can make up for the bent face. Best thing to do is replace the hinge pin bushings before they get real bad. The reason the

detent on the door don't work is because the door spring is too weak It needs to be longer or stronger.