Tailgate handle replacement

Tombstonemaker

Question

I have a question regarding the power push button handle on my 2022 Sierra 3500HD.

Can the tailgate handle/camera be changed to an older style that can be opened manually? 

For me, I need to remove the tailgate easily for loading and unloading granite at work. The camera is not important but crawling under and plugging in the wiring connector every time the gate is removed or put back on is just senseless to me. 

Any help is appreciated..

6 answers to this question

If it were mine I'd just leave it unplugged. Quick, cheap, and easy. Fold up the excess wiring and zip tie it in a bundle, or just chop it off.

Ahh, gotcha. Didn't realize they have power opening now!

Knowing GM they probably made the entire latch assembly completely different from the older models. Never know, though - I'd go to a parts site and compare part numbers, and see if you can find an actual picture of the assembly for comparison in case the part numbers don't match, but it ends up the same fitment.

Absolutely NOTHING is easy anymore ...

Best course of action would be to ask a junkyard, since they have access to fitment information. Although they may not be updated with '22 models yet.

Edited by Jsdirt

Ya, I'll have to look at some parts lists and see if I can figure it out. It just seems odd to me that on a 3500 someone else would have needed to pull the gate often to actually work with the truck.

It's funny, but not really, I guess I'll put next to my Dads tail gate that was put in the corner since new in 1980.

Thanks for the reply..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tombstonemaker said:

I have a question regarding the power push button handle on my 2022 Sierra 3500HD.

Can the tailgate handle/camera be changed to an older style that can be opened manually? 

For me, I need to remove the tailgate easily for loading and unloading granite at work. The camera is not important but crawling under and plugging in the wiring connector every time the gate is removed or put back on is just senseless to me. 

Any help is appreciated..

Is it a MultiPro gate (the dual opening one) or is it just the straight one piece tailgate?