Ordering new, and trading in dilemmas

With the obvious inventory issues, just wondering how people are working out their deal when placing a new order through dealer, and trading in old truck at same time? I've heard of nightmares from some people that worked out a trade deal only to be stiffed with an extra $5-6000 up-charge when new truck arrives while dealer claims that the traded truck lost more value through the long drawn out ordering process.  How are some of you guys stick handling this process? I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling trading up my 19 RST at this point.  I would sell privately, but don't want to be without a truck for a long period of time. 

Dan

1 hour ago, Dano89 said:

With the obvious inventory issues, just wondering how people are working out their deal when placing a new order through dealer, and trading in old truck at same time? I've heard of nightmares from some people that worked out a trade deal only to be stiffed with an extra $5-6000 up-charge when new truck arrives while dealer claims that the traded truck lost more value through the long drawn out ordering process.  How are some of you guys stick handling this process? I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling trading up my 19 RST at this point.  I would sell privately, but don't want to be without a truck for a long period of time. 

Dan

I was thinking about same thing, I will get mine appraised by more than one dealer also I will try to get it appraised in ford ram and chevy dealer and carmax who ever will give me the most will take the truck.

1 hour ago, Dano89 said:

Dan

If the dealer won’t lock you in on a value with your trade and the price on the ordered truck, you don’t want to be doing business with that dealer. Decreasing a previously agreed upon trade value or putting a surprise “market adjustment” on the deal when the new truck shows up is ultra scummy behavior on the dealers part. 

Talk to the dealer you want to order from, ask them to value your trade, and agree that value will stay the same when your order arrives. They may not agree to it, nothing says they have to but a good, honest dealer will.

I ordered in March, truck arrived in June. My trade value was agreed to at the time of order. I put 7k miles on it between March and June, the amount they gave me did not change. The value was a touch lower than what I could have got if trading it in immediately to account for the additional age and miles. However, I think that’s a fair deal for both parties involved. 

The new truck price was also locked in at time of order, I did not pay any of the MSRP increases that happened after my order was submitted. 

Guess we have allot of shady dealers in my area. They know if you don't accept their new current conditions, they'll sell the vehicle for probably more than originally agreed on. The used market is starting to tone down a bit, but new vehicles still seem hard to come by unless switching over to a Ram.  Not sure if there is some sort of clause at Canadian dealers when drafting up an order on vehicle that is subject to change depending on date or other circumstances.  I'll be trying to order a new RST with the 3.0 D and see what I can get in contract that can seal a deal granted no change on my trade outside a bit more milage. The more milage I put on my trade will be an adverse effect of delays at their end, not mine

Used to be fun buying a new vehicle, but now the interrogation makes me like my current truck even more.  Plan B would be doing a private sale and then buy a new Ram off the lot.  Not sure how bad I want a new truck in that case. 

Dan

3 hours ago, FJB said:

I was thinking about same thing, I will get mine appraised by more than one dealer also I will try to get it appraised in ford ram and chevy dealer and carmax who ever will give me the most will take the truck.

Getting a good appraisal is easy. Getting an appraisal and ordering a new truck and getting the price honoured 6 months later if truck is late becomes the question. 

Dan

I can’t imagine anyone buying a new vehicle today with these inflated prices. With two exceptions. You don’t have a choice or you have an overpriced trade in. I’ve been trying to teach my brother in law for 40 years. He shows up at my house with a 22 Passat with 15K miles on it. He paid 2K over new car sticker, insane. It’s barely in the 10 ten cars to buy on car and drivers list. He’s the type of person that gets an appetizer at a Mexican restaurant. Dude you get chips and salsa for free. If people would just hold off a bit the prices will come down. I buy something every two years. I’m waiting.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm in the same boat with that dilemma as my dealer whom I bought my 2020 TB just sent correspondence to make an appointment to have my truck appraised for trade-in and to pick or order a new 2022 truck.  Personally, I enjoyed the dealership experience pre-covid in which you picked out a truck, test drove it to be sure you're happy with it, then make the deal.  Now with hardly no inventory present on GM lots where I live, I'm not comfortable with the idea of ordering a truck and waiting for 3-4 months to get it, then deal with the unexpected cost adjustments for the trade or new truck when its time to physically make the trade.  Yes the refreshed 2022's are great but perhaps not worth cracking the whip to upgrade due to cost, availability, and the continuing shortage of chips to run all the advanced equipment in these new trucks.

• 3 weeks later...