2019 Silverado with 13,000 miles (driveway queen) just outside of warranty. 

I have some spots under the frame where the GM wax coating has started to peel and exposed metal is showing surface rust. Mainly from vehicle lifts, jacks, and random brush. 

I'm wanting to touch up the bare spots per GM’s TSB Here  

GM’s procedure is to…”prep the metal surface using *Lloyd’s Pure PrepTM Metal Surface Preparation P/N 25418, then topcoat with both *Lloyds Kryptonite Metal Treatment P/N 36502 Life Long Rust Protection and *Daubert Non-Rust® P/N X-121B One Coat Rust Preventative Coating.

The issue is that I can source the Daubert coating (at exuberant prices)  , but none of  the LLoyds surface prep or metal treatment can be sourced. 

I also know that no petroleum based products or solvent-based product should be used on this wax as it causes further problems by deteriorating the wax from the factory.  

that being said I have been looking for water-based (non-solvent) substitutes for the Lloyd’s products that I cannot locate or source.

I have found a water base substitute for the surface prep from Por15 Here . But I cannot find a substitute for Lloyd’s kryptonite Metal treatment that is non-solvent based. 

just wondering what you guys use as a substitute now. Thinking about using an enamel based paint. No oils or solvents.  Thinking that This might fit the bill.  Wondering what your all’s thoughts on this might be.  

my plan right now is to scrape away the rust with a wire brush, clean the surface with the Por15 metal prep, spray with the enamel based paint primer from krylon, then spray on the factory Dauberts wax coating. 

You can do all that or just hit it with AMSOIL's Heavy-Duty Metal Protector.  Just spray it on the exposed metal where the wax came off and you are good to go. Do this at least every fall and spring if needed.  It will not effect the factory wax coating. 

AMSOIL  Heavy-Duty Metal Protector

AMH.thumb.jpg.690f026663be3855c69ef5308170b6a1.jpg

Edited by Black02Silverado

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

You can do all that or just hit it with AMSOIL's Heavy-Duty Metal Protector.  Just spray it on the exposed metal where the wax came off and you are good to go. Do this at least every fall and spring if needed.  It will not effect the factory wax coating. 

AMSOIL  Heavy-Duty Metal Protector

AMH.thumb.jpg.690f026663be3855c69ef5308170b6a1.jpg

According to Amsoil , this product contains solvents, oil, and ethanol.  This will destroy the wax coating.  

Section 3 of This data sheet

Edited by BrizzoDaIzzo

1 hour ago, BrizzoDaIzzo said:

According to Amsoil , this product contains solvents, oil, and ethanol.  This will destroy the wax coating.  

I haven't had any customers that used it have any problems but can see your concern.  I'll spray it on my 2019 wax frame and see what happens.  I don't need it down here in southern part of NC like the north does.

3 hours ago, BrizzoDaIzzo said:

Dude is an Amsoil dealer, his post is just an advertisement.

The procedure you plan on using should work just fine. If you’re just spot treating, shouldn’t be too detrimental if it doesn’t work out.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, BrizzoDaIzzo said:

I sprayed my waxed frame with AMSOIL's Heavy-Duty Metal Protector and it has been two days now and the wax coating is the same as before I sprayed it.  It doesn't effect the factory coating.   Just wanted to let you know.

• Thanks 1