Can you "flip the pill" on a 2014 4.3 Silverado?

So I got everything back together and installed the new surecool bypass.  After getting my transmission fluid up to the proper level it seemed to be shifting great. I put it in manual mode and when I shifted between M5 and M6 you could tell it changed gears. The temperature however kept climbing up into the 240s and then when in high gear seemed like it changed gears again and rpms dropped lower. Almost like the torque converter was not switching between modes the whole time and finally did? I also noticed that when I put it in gear or in reverse the lights dim a little and bogs the truck down some and vibrates some.  What is really crazy though, is when I was going up a hill, it shifted into high gear instead of downshifting.  Also when I was letting the truck idle in the driveway, I seen a message that popped up that said engine oil level low, add oil... checked the oil and it was fine...Almost seems like I have some kind of computer/electrical issue here.   I was reading that the torque converter clutch solenoid valve can cause symptoms similar to this.  Do you guys think it would be worth my time trying that, since there was no metal in the pan?  Or can the torque converter still be bad even if there is no metal shavings on the magnet? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Jayselectricco

Spit Balling here. TEHCM/Valve body internal valve leaks? Switch film leaks? The bores wear over time and films can tear. 

There are some kits for rebuilding available. That's sort of work I have a guy for. Not a driveway project for me anymore. 2014 has its own separator plate. Kits have instructions on modification and building early units to Gen 3 specs. 

Good trans shop would put a laptop on her and have a look at circuit pressures and switch times. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Spit Balling here. TEHCM/Valve body internal valve leaks? Switch film leaks? The bores wear over time and films can tear. 

There are some kits for rebuilding available. That's sort of work I have a guy for. Not a driveway project for me anymore. 2014 has its own separator plate. Kits have instructions on modification and building early units to Gen 3 specs. 

Good trans shop would put a laptop on her and have a look at circuit pressures and switch times. 

Yep sounds like that's what I am going to have to break down and do, take it to a good transmission shop.  Thanks !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So my radiator transmission cooler was apparently clogged because there was very little difference in temp between my trans coolant lines. I bypassed the radiator and installed a transmission cooler and changed our 6 quarts of the burnt fluid. I drove it for 30 min and the temperature stayed around 180, however got up to 220 before I got home.  I thought the fluid was just burnt but it has a grey color to it... Could this be clutch material or metal or something? Thanks

IMG_20230302_120430480.jpg

IMG_20230302_120245548.jpg

The torque converter clutch facing is a carbon fiber weave material that is black (same color as the fluid here.)  The P0741 DTC you had before is TCC circuit stuck off which turns on if the TCM is trying to control slip on the TCC and nothing happens (high slip error).  It could be that your cooler was plugged with a bunch of TCC facing material - the first place the oil goes once it leaves the torque converter is the cooler.  The high temps could be the TCC trying to control slip but it is metal to metal now.  If this "hypothesis" is right then you need to immediately stop using the transmission - any further use will just send more metal particles all over the transmission (solenoid valve screens, range clutch facings, spool valve bores, etc) and guarantee a needed rebuild.  It may already be too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:31 PM, Jayselectricco said:

Thanks that makes total sense! I think I will just take out the transmission and get it rebuilt and I heard that you can get a ZL1 torque converter, that it is more reliable? 

@Grumpy Bearhas a nice post discussing torque converter issue and more reliable replacement.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 11:20 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I was reading in another post of yours that the 4.3 V6 has a different torque converter? Do you think by the looks of the pictures of the pan that in fact my torque converter with the 4.3 V6 is in fact failing? and if so what torque converter would you recommend replacing it with, or just replacing the whole transmission ? thanks 

2 hours ago, Jayselectricco said:

I was reading in another post of yours that the 4.3 V6 has a different torque converter? Do you think by the looks of the pictures of the pan that in fact my torque converter with the 4.3 V6 is in fact failing? and if so what torque converter would you recommend replacing it with, or just replacing the whole transmission ? thanks 

To my eye that looks like clutch lining mud. Slipping clutches. Either just wore out OR some internal leak bleeding off pressure. Worn valve body? Cracked apply piston? Either way, a rebuild or replace is in your future. Sorry. Oh, including the converter. It will be full of that stuff.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

To my eye that looks like clutch lining mud. Slipping clutches. Either just wore out OR some internal leak bleeding off pressure. Worn valve body? Cracked apply piston? Either way, a rebuild or replace is in your future. Sorry. Oh, including the converter. It will be full of that stuff.  

Ok Thanks, so the 4.3 does have a different torque converter than the 5.3? Its a 6l80E transmission just like the 5.3 has only difference is the torque converter? 

4 hours ago, Jayselectricco said:

Ok Thanks, so the 4.3 does have a different torque converter than the 5.3? Its a 6l80E transmission just like the 5.3 has only difference is the torque converter? 

Yes, the same. Converter and perhaps some minor TCM tuning changes the only difference I know of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, a1smith said:

The torque converter clutch facing is a carbon fiber weave material that is black (same color as the fluid here.)  The P0741 DTC you had before is TCC circuit stuck off which turns on if the TCM is trying to control slip on the TCC and nothing happens (high slip error).  It could be that your cooler was plugged with a bunch of TCC facing material - the first place the oil goes once it leaves the torque converter is the cooler.  The high temps could be the TCC trying to control slip but it is metal to metal now.  If this "hypothesis" is right then you need to immediately stop using the transmission - any further use will just send more metal particles all over the transmission (solenoid valve screens, range clutch facings, spool valve bores, etc) and guarantee a needed rebuild.  It may already be too late.

I want to thank you for your post, because I took your advice and didn't drive it any more.  I pulled the transmission myself and replaced the torque converter, replaced fluid and filter again, flushed out cooler lines, and now my truck is running better than it has in a long time. It shifts perfect, my transmission temp runs 130-170, and my fluid is staying red like its meant to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2015regcablongbed said:

Slight off topic: are you satisfied with the results from the Range AFM disabler?  Running on less would be interesting in this tub.

I like mine & would buy it again. One negative issue for me in NC, is, NC still requires emissions testing annually and the Range disabler doesn't allow the ECU to record this so has to be removed several days of running in order for my truck to pass. Otherwise, I real enjoy the V8 running on all cylinders & hope this may increase life of lifters. FYI, I bought mine off of FB Market place for cheaper.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rav3 said:

I like mine & would buy it again. One negative issue for me in NC, is, NC still requires emissions testing annually and the Range disabler doesn't allow the ECU to record this so has to be removed several days of running in order for my truck to pass. Otherwise, I real enjoy the V8 running on all cylinders & hope this may increase life of lifters. FYI, I bought mine off of FB Market place for cheaper.

Thanks.  I thought they were for the 8 cylinder types.  The original poster had one in his 4.3L  ... maybe a typo.