Order time to delivery?

Monday if all things go right I'm heading to the GMC dealer and have my 2020 SLT 5.3 appraised for trade in.  Looking to trade it for another loaded SLT in Volcanic Red Metallic  but this time the 3.0l diesel.  Looks like its going to be a factory order. Any thoughts on the diesel choice and if anyone has factory ordered recently how long did it take to get your truck. The crappy part is there is a dealer not far from me that has almost exactly what I'll be ordering unfortunately it's Pacific Blue same as I'm trading in. I need a change.

Canada here.

I ordered an Elevation crew cab, standard box, Duramax, in October 2022. Order wasn't even accepted until January 2023.
As of Feb 20 it didn't have a build date, so I bought an SLT off the lot. Even then, I haven't seen a single 2023 with the Duramax on a lot that had the multi-pro tailgate.

Talked to another dealer who mentioned that not a single dealer in Canada got an allocation for a Duramax 1/2ton (Then again, a salesman said it, so take it with a grain of salt)
As far as I know, it STILL doesn't have a build date. 

Personally, I doubt you'd see the truck in 6-8mo, and if you do, its because you're taking off options that are on constraint.

I'd take the Blue on on the lot...

Good luck.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:41 PM, MTY55 said:

Monday if all things go right I'm heading to the GMC dealer and have my 2020 SLT 5.3 appraised for trade in.  Looking to trade it for another loaded SLT in Volcanic Red Metallic  but this time the 3.0l diesel.  Looks like its going to be a factory order. Any thoughts on the diesel choice and if anyone has factory ordered recently how long did it take to get your truck. The crappy part is there is a dealer not far from me that has almost exactly what I'll be ordering unfortunately it's Pacific Blue same as I'm trading in. I need a change.

I was going diesel for sure. I drove a GM work truck for 5 years and loved the range of the diesel.

But, diesel went way up in price. It will stay there as refinery costs are way up to produce diesel a lot more cleaner. Emissions. Then, DEF fluid costs and now disabling issues from failed DEF.50/50 chance of being stranded on road because of emission failure. On all brands, all diesels! I worked on construction equipment. Cat, Cummins, even our Hyundai lifts were failing because of DEF issues.

Now, gas engines are approaching diesel in fuel economy....not equal, but getting close.

Then, the fuel filter must be changed once a year on diesels. $$$$

with added cost of diesel engine, rising fuel costs, maintenance costs, noise, lack of acceleration, Gas is better now.

If that doesn't convince you, how about the raw throaty sound of that V8 gas on accel? Compared to a rattling diesel?

and last but not least, the SMELL! It does get into cab. If running outside your house, you smell it inside. DEF makes it worse.

I've got the 5.3 and love the sound and acceleration. Please consider this!

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 12:39 AM, Mike Duhaime said:

I was going diesel for sure. I drove a GM work truck for 5 years and loved the range of the diesel.

But, diesel went way up in price. It will stay there as refinery costs are way up to produce diesel a lot more cleaner. Emissions. Then, DEF fluid costs and now disabling issues from failed DEF.50/50 chance of being stranded on road because of emission failure. On all brands, all diesels! I worked on construction equipment. Cat, Cummins, even our Hyundai lifts were failing because of DEF issues.

Now, gas engines are approaching diesel in fuel economy....not equal, but getting close.

Then, the fuel filter must be changed once a year on diesels. $$$$

with added cost of diesel engine, rising fuel costs, maintenance costs, noise, lack of acceleration, Gas is better now.

If that doesn't convince you, how about the raw throaty sound of that V8 gas on accel? Compared to a rattling diesel?

and last but not least, the SMELL! It does get into cab. If running outside your house, you smell it inside. DEF makes it worse.

I've got the 5.3 and love the sound and acceleration. Please consider this!

I weighed in a lot of the things you mentioned. I made my decision and hope to be picking up my 23 Denali 5.3 Monday

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MTY55 said:

I weighed in a lot of the things you mentioned. I made my decision and hope to be picking up my 23 Denali 5.3 Monday

Awesome! Congratulations!

My friend was a long time Ford fan. I just convinced him to buy a trail boss. I discovered that Ford owners get a $6500 GM referral incentive to buy GM.  I got GM employee discount from brother in law. Ford owner discount is just as good.

I almost got the diesel, but felt sick standing beside it as I talked with salesperson. Definitely built up intolerance from working on and beside  diesels all day.

Enjoy you're new ride!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Duhaime said:

Awesome! Congratulations!

My friend was a long time Ford fan. I just convinced him to buy a trail boss. I discovered that Ford owners get a $6500 GM referral incentive to buy GM.  I got GM employee discount from brother in law. Ford owner discount is just as good.

I almost got the diesel, but felt sick standing beside it as I talked with salesperson. Definitely built up intolerance from working on and beside  diesels all day.

Enjoy you're new ride!

I just came back from the dealer. I was supposed to pick it up Thursday but the wanted to work on a few blemishes and fine scratches they found during prep. I almost cancelled the order because of it. They assured me they would make it right and sweetened the trade in by an extra $500. Glad I gave them a chance,  they did a great job flawless Black paint.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2023 at 4:41 PM, MTY55 said:

I've got my '21 3.0 in Nov '22.

It's been a great truck.

It was in my driveway about 6 weeks after ordering.

Built in Ft Wayne -- about a 1/2 day drive from here. 

I've decided I want the refresh truck and updated 3.0.   

Order entered in late Dec '22.

Didn't get 'picked up' til mid Feb, with a TPW mid March.

Didn't build until Mar 30.  I do have the vin. (first time I've had one miss the TPW it was given (I guess that's why it's Tentative Production Week).

Built in Mexico instead of Ft.Wayne.

So far, no idea when it arrives in southern Ontario. 

I guess I'm saying I think the 3.0 is a good choice...but order time to build date and delivery time has too many variables to estimate. 

Especially since it seems that supplier problems can still be a thing sometimes.

Edited by redwngr