Steering wheel off center

Over the past year, I’ve noticed my steering wheel is pointed 5 degrees or so to the right when traveling straight down the road.  It was spot on prior, as I had my shop ensure it was true when installing a new set of tires and aligning (2+ years ago now).

The only thing that’s been done in the meantime is I’ve installed a new intermediate steering shaft trying to solve a clicking noise.  However, I secured the steering wheel when doing so, and there’s really only one orientation for the shaft to install;  can’t see how this would’ve caused the offset.

Any steering gurus out there?  Do I have a bad tie rod end?  2015 Sierra with 95k miles. 

Also noticing some prominent random vibration on the highway.  I had my tires re-mounted and balanced last fall, thinking that may be a cause.  Also noticing a low end whine coming from the steering column at low speed when cranking the steering wheel, such as backing into a parking spot.

Edited by royalkangaroo

On 3/7/2023 at 4:02 PM, royalkangaroo said:

Over the past year, I’ve noticed my steering wheel is pointed 5 degrees or so to the right when traveling straight down the road.  It was spot on prior, as I had my shop ensure it was true when installing a new set of tires and aligning (2+ years ago now).

The only thing that’s been done in the meantime is I’ve installed a new intermediate steering shaft trying to solve a clicking noise.  However, I secured the steering wheel when doing so, and there’s really only one orientation for the shaft to install;  can’t see how this would’ve caused the offset.

Any steering gurus out there?  Do I have a bad tie rod end?  2015 Sierra with 95k miles. 

Also noticing some prominent random vibration on the highway.  I had my tires re-mounted and balanced last fall, thinking that may be a cause.  Also noticing a low end whine coming from the steering column at low speed when cranking the steering wheel, such as backing into a parking spot.

Are you saying it's off 5 deg or so when going down the road, and taking your hands off the wheel and letting the truck track naturally?  If yes, does the truck still track in a straight line or does it pull one way or another?  (Note:  you should try this on multiple straight roads (like a multi lane interstate and local roads) as road crown and road slope will affect what the truck does, so best to get multiple data points)

Having said that, it's most likely a front toe issue, which could be caused multiple things.  I'm not familiar with the I-shaft design on these trucks, but is one end splined?  If yes, just installing and being off 1 spline could result in the 5 deg (even if the spline is on the steering side, not the steering wheel side which you secured).

Edited by discgolf01
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, discgolf01 said:

Are you saying it's off 5 deg or so when going down the road, and taking your hands off the wheel and letting the truck track naturally?  If yes, does the truck still track in a straight line or does it pull one way or another?  (Note:  you should try this on multiple straight roads (like a multi lane interstate and local roads) as road crown and road slope will affect what the truck does, so best to get multiple data points)

Having said that, it's most likely a front toe issue, which could be caused multiple things.  I'm not familiar with the I-shaft design on these trucks, but is one end splined?  If yes, just installing and being off 1 spline could result in the 5 deg (even if the spline is on the steering side, not the steering wheel side which you secured).

I'm holding the steering wheel 5 degrees to the right to keep the truck traveling straight - more-so if the road crowns off to the left (i.e. left lane of the highway).  If I take my hands off the wheel the wheel naturally returns mostly center but the truck veers to the left.  I agree with an alignment issue, I'm just unsure of how it would've changed.

The intermediate shaft is squared on both ends (a female and a male).  I don't see how this would've caused any change as there's really only one way to install it.   I suppose I'll have my shop take a look, just figured I'd see if anyone on here had some wise insight.

51Adq-m-VQL.jpg

11 hours ago, royalkangaroo said:

I'm holding the steering wheel 5 degrees to the right to keep the truck traveling straight - more-so if the road crowns off to the left (i.e. left lane of the highway).  If I take my hands off the wheel the wheel naturally returns mostly center but the truck veers to the left.  I agree with an alignment issue, I'm just unsure of how it would've changed.

The intermediate shaft is squared on both ends (a female and a male).  I don't see how this would've caused any change as there's really only one way to install it.   I suppose I'll have my shop take a look, just figured I'd see if anyone on here had some wise insight.

51Adq-m-VQL.jpg

If the steering wheel centers when you let go of it, most likely not a toe issue (though the toe values could still be out of spec, but cancelling each other out that centers the steering wheel with no hands).  If you are turning it 5 deg to keep the truck going straight, you've got a pull, which is most likely a camber difference side to side, although there can be other less common reasons (but a camber issue should have nothing to do with an i-shaft replacement).  Any chance you just got new tires?  Believe it or not, the way the tire is constructed can introduce an aligning torque side to side and result in a pull.

• Like 1