Inner Tailgate

Looking for some help, 2021 GMC Denali 2500. The inner tailgate open light was coming on intermittently when putting into drive. I would get out and close it and maybe the next time or next day it would happen again. After 6-8 times of this happening it finally stoped.  The issue is now the inner tailgate doesn’t work at all.  I have tried the trailer hitch override by holding for 5 seconds and still nothing. The full size tailgate works fine. I really don’t want to send to the dealer unless I have too. 

Thanks for any input!

Scott.

Common issue according to my dealer. I just dropped mine off today for the exact same issue. Apparently, water gets into the electronics and shorts out the switch. I am still under warranty so it will not cost me anything. Take it in.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:11 PM, Saparkin said:

Looking for some help, 2021 GMC Denali 2500. The inner tailgate open light was coming on intermittently when putting into drive. I would get out and close it and maybe the next time or next day it would happen again. After 6-8 times of this happening it finally stoped.  The issue is now the inner tailgate doesn’t work at all.  I have tried the trailer hitch override by holding for 5 seconds and still nothing. The full size tailgate works fine. I really don’t want to send to the dealer unless I have too. 

Thanks for any input!

Scott.

The 21 does not have the inner gate lockout when a hitch is installed.

Sounds like water intrusion in the tailgate buttons coming from a known issue with the 2 drain holes in the top of the tailgate.

714779340_Screenshot_20230225_223254_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.ba2d26a46bce5c2d98201715e1a39e31.jpg

• 6 months later...

The 2022 and on have a procedure you can follow to lockout the opening of the inner tailgate. The procedure is in the owners manual and has you hold the inner tailgate button down for 3 seconds with certain preconditions. Repeating the procedure reactivates the inner tailgate. This feature is not on 2021 and earlier trucks. 

There are also some aftermarket lockout mods based detecting the presence of a ballmount in the receiver and they involve splicing into a wire bundle.