tpms sensors when swapping wheels

What do I do if I swap oem wheels with someone as far as tpms sensors?  Would be swapping oem for oem, just going to a different style.  When I put the new wheels I traded for on my truck do I just use the tpms learn tool to program them to my truck?  Also, what about model year compatibility between sensors?  I'm looking at a set of LTZ 6 spoke wheels off a 2017 truck.  I like the simple clean lines of them.

55 minutes ago, Sonders said:

What do I do if I swap oem wheels with someone as far as tpms sensors?  Would be swapping oem for oem, just going to a different style.  When I put the new wheels I traded for on my truck do I just use the tpms learn tool to program them to my truck?  Also, what about model year compatibility between sensors?  I'm looking at a set of LTZ 6 spoke wheels off a 2017 truck.  I like the simple clean lines of them.

HD to HD?

You will need the sensors for a 2022.  Old ones won't work, different frequency.  

Yes, 17’ 2500 Sierra to my 22’ 2500 Silverado.  Well that sucks to hear about them having different frequencies.  So we would both have to have our tires dismounted and sensors swapped.  Don’t believe it’s going to be worth all that trouble.

Sometimes the tire place can just push the bead off at the sensor and swap them without having to do a full dismount remount and balance. You might ask your local tire shop the price to swap the sensors. It might be less than you expect. 

Ok guess I could check to get an idea; however The guy I’d be trading with is about 2 hr away so would be meeting him in the middle somewhere, so would be a unknown tire shop.

• 4 weeks later...

ended up finding a set of wheels local and purchasing.  Whenever I make up my mind on what tires to go with, I'll probably just get a new set of tpms sensors off Rockauto and install on the new wheels.  Either that, or have the tire shop break down my current stock wheels and pull the original sensors and install on the new wheels.

You can either buy the $15 tool to relearn the tire positions after you put the TPMS in learn mode or you can likely do the old method of letting air out of each tire in learn mode.

8 hours ago, bruceb58 said:

You can either buy the $15 tool to relearn the tire positions after you put the TPMS in learn mode or you can likely do the old method of letting air out of each tire in learn mode.

Yep, I have the relearn tool.  both my car and the wifes require it as well.  Haven't had to use it on the truck yet to know if it works on it, but hopefully it does.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Truston Gunter said:

The relearn tools I have seen are a couple hundred dollars! Can you share what relearn tool you are using?

Google EL-50448.  They are all of $20-40.