Is It OK To Wait Until The Low Oil Light Comes ON?

diyer2

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Curious what the opinion's are.

I only had two oil burners in 50 years of driving. I thought for years that GM had a low oil light. I see no reason that if they do and it comes on while it’s still in a safe range like one qt low, why not? My old 2001 Avalanche has a low coolant and washer fluid light. You shouldn’t have to open the hood and check your oil with every fill up. So yes to a light. 

Opinion? 😏 

Okay... Not me. I look next morning after every fuel stop and top off if it will take at least a quarter to half a pint. Dad taught us there is a reason it's called an "Idi*t" light. 😬

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Opinion? 😏 

Okay... Not me. I look next morning after every fuel stop and top off if it will take at least a quarter to half a pint. Dad taught us there is a reason it's called an "Idi*t" light. 😬

Some of us live on a hill. I own 4 vehicles. All will leave a mark when you reach over to grab the dip stick. I don’t wear coveralls when I travel. And I try to buy vehicles that don’t use oil. Maybe if a vehicle is going to use enough oil to run dry before the next oil change. The easiest solution is to shorten the interval or rebuild. The two that used oil did every 2500 miles. If I waited until the 5000 mile oil change they would have lived. Being I paid attention and got familiar with my ride. I checked it every 2500 miles or close to it. And finally must we always be condescending? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

And finally must we always be condescending? 

I was relating a true experience. Just Dad being Dad. I'm unsure how that offended you. But I will offer apology anyway. 

If I missed the point and you were referring to the opening line and 😏 emoji. C'mon man.

What happens when I opine? :crackup:Just getting in front of it. 😉

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I was relating a true experience. Just Dad being Dad. I'm unsure how that offended you. But I will offer apology anyway. 

If I missed the point and you were referring to the opening line and 😏 emoji. C'mon man.

What happens when I opine? :crackup:Just getting in front of it. 😉

Like always I mix life experiences with opinions. Yes sometimes long winded. I am old after all. I never experienced a failure of an ( idiot) light. And as you know getting to know your vehicle would possibly eliminate the constant raising the hood. We have lights on vehicles now that warn about everything. I mean everything. Some things can fail unexpectedly so a light could help with that. So opinions can vary and be helpful without hint of ……

• Like 1

Most of our engines will shut down when oil volume is unsafe to cool and lube. I suppose it’s based on oil pressure loss and have worked many “ failed” engines in lawsuits that hadn’t failed at all but auto shutdown. Fuel is cutoff to shut em down. Seen dealers replace engines for that when engine protected itself by design. It’s not failsafe but normal driving and

operation most will self protect. 

9 minutes ago, customboss said:

Most of our engines will shut down when oil volume is unsafe to cool and lube. I suppose it’s based on oil pressure loss and have worked many “ failed” engines in lawsuits that hadn’t failed at all but auto shutdown. Fuel is cutoff to shut em down. Seen dealers replace engines for that when engine protected itself by design. It’s not failsafe but normal driving and

operation most will self protect. 

Our equipment has been doing that for years. Starting with buzzers, limp mode then shut down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

So opinions can vary and be helpful without hint of ……

See what I mean. Not even an apology worked. Nothing like making a problem where there isn't one. :wtf: (wasn't) 😉 

2 hours ago, customboss said:

It’s not failsafe but normal driving and operation most will self protect. 

Know what kills a good number of 2.4's? Cam chain has a hydraulic tensioner feed from the main galley. Low oil pressure due to low oil level. Skips a tooth or two and valves kiss pistons. Ya know what happens after that.

I'll keep checking next morning after every fuel stop. You two are more than free to do as you please. I'm not twisting any arms, but I do find it a bit funny that an opinion and isn't yours (you two) ya feel needs to be swatted like a fly. :crackup:So I will reiterate......

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Opinion? 😏 

Ya all are really to easy. :thumbs: You make my points for me. 😉

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

See what I mean. Not even an apology worked. Nothing like making a problem where there isn't one. :wtf: (wasn't) 😉 

Know what kills a good number of 2.4's? Cam chain has a hydraulic tensioner feed from the main galley. Low oil pressure due to low oil level. Skips a tooth or two and valves kiss pistons. Ya know what happens after that.

I'll keep checking next morning after every fuel stop. You two are more than free to do as you please. I'm not twisting any arms, but I do find it a bit funny that an opinion and isn't yours (you two) ya feel needs to be swatted like a fly. :crackup:So I will reiterate......

Didn’t say I’d run mine that way. Shared the system design. 

58 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So who’s sensitive? Not me. I share experiences without the condensing remarks or funny little 🤪 so please put me a box. I don’t care. 

• Thanks 1

The engine in my Jeep will shut down around 2 quarts low. Lots of people find that out the hard way and take to the internet bitching because they never check (let alone change) their oil.

Anyway, on mine, the intake valves are ONLY coupled to the cam hydraulically. So no oil, no oil pressure, no intake valves, no run. I’m sure a lot of engines are like this in some way or another. But I don’t think it’s an intentionally placed failsafe. 

Thankfully I don’t have any oil burners. Once trust is established I go several weeks without checking. As long as I don’t see a puddle on the ground lol!

I think some of the usual suspects missed the point of the original post. Then come out with the expected criticism like everyone should check their oil with every fill up. Well that’s not going to happen. So a low oil light while the level is still safe would be a good idea, well that’s reasonable. Every vehicle I’ve experienced the oil pick up is close to the bottom of the pan. Still able to pump oil even if there’s just two quarts or less left. Running low doesn’t change the oil pressure, that doesn’t make any sense. Running two quarts low doesn’t change oil pressure. You have to be on a pretty good hill to starve the pickup for oil. So the engine doesn’t know, let’s be real. For decades vehicles come with a low tire pressure light. Most come on at 30 psi. Normal pressure is usually 32 psi. Pressure changes with ambient temperature. Do we check pressure every day? Is it safe to drive at 30 psi? Which could be less safe? A simple question was asked. If there isn’t a safe low or check oil light there should be. 

If I had to choose between and idiot light or a low oil light and an oil dipstick, I'll take the dip stick. I was raised checking oil is included when using a motor/engine. 

I think running them low makes no sense and is a sign of laziness. 

I will check my oil regularly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1