Air FIlter

Why are you going back to the A/C?

Jeff

You might want to take a look at this thread. and specifically at this link.

It is an air filter study (be it on a diesel) of major brands. Looks like you cannot beat the AC.

vroten :ughdance:

I have seen that page before. There is no question that the AC filters the best for removing the most amount of dirt from the air, but it's also the most restrictive. The only question is this, what kind of air do our trucks see in the real world environment? I good continuation test would be to run a specific filter in one of our trucks for a year and then measure the amount of dirt collected. Then we might be able to correlate the data from that test into real life scenarios.

So the safe response will always be run the filter that filters the most dirt, but does it really make a difference if a small percentage of dirt goes through the filter?

For now I will run the K&N, I'm not too worried about the level of filtration. The only concern I have is with oil carryover and the MAF. I have done some research to prevent the chance of over oiling it during the cleaning process (found out how much oil it requires and I have a graduated cylinder to measure that amount of oil)

Jeff

Why are you going back to the A/C?

Jeff

The reason I am going back to AC filters is the above posted study and noticing that my oil turns black in no time due to the poor filtration of the K&N.As far as I am concerned the K&N filter is a poor filter and over hyped in every way.

Ok, I don't quite understand the thought process or why the oil becomes dirtier with the change in air filtration. That would assume large amounts of engine blow by.

I'm not trying to defend any filter, just trying to understand the science behind the results.

In any regards, I am interested in hearing if your oil issue resolves with the change in air filters.

BTW, what oil do you use?

Jeff

Ok, I don't quite understand the thought process or why the oil becomes dirtier with the change in air filtration.  That would assume large amounts of engine blow by. 

I'm not trying to defend any filter, just trying to understand the science behind the results.

In any regards, I am interested in hearing if your oil issue resolves with the change in air filters.

BTW, what oil do you use?

Jeff

The whole purpose of an air filter is to keep your engine from injesting dirt and other cantaminants which gets in the oil in addition to other locations and I use Mobil1 and Amsoil.So in other words the better the air filter the less trash in your oil and engine

To make my long story short, I also had run gauze and foam filters in various vehicles for many years, but now I've switched back to the stock AC Delco - they make 2 kinds for trucks: regular and HD - the HD has a lot more pleats/material and looks like it is designed for extended use without needing to be changed as soon as the regular. I also have the Fram regular and HD equivalents - they both have a lot less pleats and the material looks thinner. In fact, the Fram HD looks like it has less material than the AC Delco regular.

To make my long story short, I also had run gauze and foam filters in various vehicles for many years, but now I've switched back to the stock AC Delco - they make 2 kinds for trucks: regular and HD - the HD has a lot more pleats/material and looks like it is designed for extended use without needing to be changed as soon as the regular.  I also have the Fram regular and HD equivalents - they both have a lot less pleats and the material looks thinner.  In fact, the Fram HD looks like it has less material than the AC Delco regular.

I am not an expert on filters, but I don't think the amount of pleats or material looking thinner is neccessarily a bad thing. I would think the weave of the material is more important. Denser weave traps more than a loose weave. I have always used Fram but any quality filter is fine, the point is to change them when due.

Archived