any of us w/non recalled firestones?

i checked a few days ago hoping i had the recalled tires. one reason, i will need new ones by the end of next year, and second, im uncomfortable w/firestones. i guess my tire size isnt in the recall. has anyone got any deals turning in the non recalled firestones?

I got Wilderness LE on my 01 K1500 Suburban.  I hope these wear out fast, because I will not be 100% happy until I have Michelin LTX on it.  Never had any trouble w/ Firestones (except on my 75 Grand Am), but just a Michelin fan.

I got Firestone to exchange the tires on my '00 1500.  I took a copy of the "100% customer satisfaction" letter to the dealer and made a few calls to  Firestone themselves.  I only had about 1200 miles on them and they replaced them.  The only catch was that since they weren't part of the "recall" I could only get credit towards other Firestones or Bridgestones.

I ended up with 5 new Bridgestone Dueler A/T light truck tires.  My total cost was about ? / tire mounted and balanced.  The Dualer was a much more aggressive tire and had a higher load range on it, and I felt much better with them on my truck.

I refused delivery of my 2001 yukon xl with firestones. They swapped me with identical alloys but with general tires from a sierra. I had generals on my wifes ML 320 for 4 years and they were fine, so I accepted them. I will probably get michelins when these wear out.

DR

I have the Firestone Wilderness tires on my 01. I'm not the least bit worried about them. I believe that the problem exists between Ford and Firestone. The combination for what ever reason is deadly. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that the Firestone tire has any more problem on GM Vehicles than any other tire. I read that the replacement tire for the Firestone has had greater problems on the Fords than Firestone did.

I would love to replace the Firestone Wilderness tires my truck came with. But I haven't had any problems at all with them and it seems like a waste of money to replace something that is doing the job and has a lot of life left. I will replace them with Michelins when they are used up.

If you have Firestones, just keep an eye on them. My pop and I started noticing cracks in the tires on his '99 Ford Explorer that looked like tire rot. Then the recall came out. You know the story.

If your the type to join a truck forum and post messages during the day from work, you're also probably spending all afternoon washing and admiring your vehicle, tires included. In that case, you'll see the warning signs. Look for cracks at the tops of the sidewalls where the tread begins.

I've got Firestone Wilderness ATs and will replace them once I don't get the traction I need. (As others on this forum have warned.)

• 1 year later...
...I've got Firestone Wilderness ATs and will replace them once I don't get the traction I need. (As others on this forum have warned.)

Although this is an old thread, I thought it best to place this here.  Firestone really seems to be very generous when upgrading your tires to a better class tire.  If your truck came with the Firestones and you are lusting after the Bridgestone Revos, then they'll work with you.

I was delighted that the local Firestone shop offered to allow me to trade up to the Revos, even though I have 4,000 miles on the Firestone Wilderness ATs, and included hazard/rotation/balance for about $160.00 total.

But, 4,000 miles is just about the upper limit that they can do this at such a price, at least at this shop.

I snapped this up.  I live in a small town (Huntsville, TX) that only has this one Firestone dealer and there is little pricing competition for anything around here.

and included hazard/rotation/balance

Forgot to mention that this means that I'm able to take the truck in for no-fee annual rotation/balance, also.

My GM dealer wanted to charge something like $35.00 or so for that, per visit.

I have no concerns with the Firestone brand. But I have a set of Wilderness ATs mounted on factory aluminum rims stacked in my garage with only 500 miles on them and would consider trading up to the Revos.

I'm running Bridgestone Winter Duelers on steel rims Dec-Mar so I will be making the changeover soon. Thanks lrymal.

Jees Wilderness Le (Low End) on any 01 should go. The real deal is that the Firestone is not a bad tire, however the recommended 26 psi from Ford did lead to several problems.

Personally I inflate all SUV's, minivans, and light trucks to max

psi. Keeps you from wearing out the sides too.

Regarding the Firestone tires, you can look up your product code (on the sidewall of your tire) and go to the Firestone recall site. The best thing about this is you can go to most retailers with this tire and walk out with some pretty nice sneakers.

Have a great one!

Not that i think that the tires will blow up like they did on the explorers, but I just called the local Firestone Dealership and they will only do and exchange on the tires if it happens before you pick up the vehicle from the dealership.  I guess I will just get the H2 rims and wheels for my 1500HD for the summer, I just need to sell this idea to the wife.

I ran the firestones for 3 years on my 00 sierra and the only complaints that I had was the traction stunk.......  The wilderness AT's are more of a Highway type tire and don't get the traction I like from a truck.

So That is why I'm upgrading my 02 to the BFG KO's.  Great tires good traction and you can get some  long life out of them.

I guess the tire situation is all about what you feel comfortable with and what your wallet will allow...  Past that

:(

Archived