Salt in my carpet

You southern guys don't have to respond... We know that they don't salt your roads. For the northerners: Anybody have a good way to get rid of the salt that biolds up on the carpet after a tough winter? Spring's here, so it's time to make the truck look clean and take the Husky floormats out.

Thanks,

Matt :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You southern guys don't have to respond...  We know that they don't salt your roads.  For the northerners: Anybody have a good way to get rid of the salt that biolds up on the carpet after a tough winter?  Spring's here, so it's time to make the truck look clean and take the Husky floormats out. 

Thanks,

Matt :fume:

My truck flipped out when I was in Detroit just before Christmas last year :confused: I liked how no one would get near me when they saw my GA plates...crazy southerner can't drive in snow and ice. Ah, but they didn't know I drove in Indiana winters for 10 years...hehehe.

Anyways, I took all off all of the trim at the bottom of the door sills and went crazy with just a sponge and some water. I pulled up the carpet and wiped the floorpan out really good too and propped the carpet up until everything dried out.

You need to dissolve the salt in water and then suck it out with a wet/dry vac.

I use a weak solution of dish washing detergent in water, and a stiff brush. The mild detergent will improve the penetrating ability of the solution. Brush some in, wait a few minutes, scrub it again, with more solution, and usually it stops being white right around then.

The carpet has a waterproof backing so all you are doing is getting the pyle wet when you scrub it. You can get it pretty wet and then just use a shop vac and it'll be pretty close to dry. The water's not soaking through the carpet into the pad.

Don't forget to get the water out of your shop vac after you finish, or you'll end up with a moldy shop vac. :fume:

Archived