What's the problem with the 6 speed ??

Seems like I'm reading a lot about people having problems with the clutch / flywheel in the ZF-6s. What's up? Is it more of a problem with the Dmax since it has more torque or is the 8.1 affected too? Is it not a good tranny? I don't plan to bomb the truck (soon-to-be) too much but I want it to hold up.

Seems like I'm reading a lot about people having problems with the clutch / flywheel in the ZF-6s.  What's up?  Is it more of a problem with the Dmax since it has more torque or is the 8.1 affected too?  Is it not a good tranny?  I don't plan to bomb the truck (soon-to-be) too much but I want it to hold up.

From what I have read it is mostly related to Dmax trucks that have been boosted a lot to tow in OD too. If you do not boost it much on a Dmax and/or do not pull it hard all of the time in OD (just because it can do it) and drop to direct drive on hard interstate pulls it will last fine and do not forget to change the lube at least once early in its life anfter break in and every 20 or 30 K if you work it hard too. Withe a 8.1 you should have no problems with regular maintanance.

Archived