??? Bad Fuel Pump ???

If the fuel pump was going bad would it throw a code? 96 Silverado 5.7 w/ 141K miles.

Here is what happened. My nephews truck would start but was real sluggish when you gave it gas. A mechanic friend of his told him the fuel pump was going, I changed the fuel filter and ran Seafoam through the top end and she ran beautifully. 5 days later he calls me, it won’t start. Sprayed a shot of quick start in there and it started right up. Turned it off, used a code reader and no codes.

If the fuel pump was going bad would it throw a code? 96 Silverado 5.7 w/ 141K miles.

Here is what happened. My nephews truck would start but was real sluggish when you gave it gas. A mechanic friend of his told him the fuel pump was going, I changed the fuel filter and ran Seafoam through the top end and she ran beautifully. 5 days later he calls me, it won’t start. Sprayed a shot of quick start in there and it started right up. Turned it off, used a code reader and no codes.

No code on mine with a complete failure. Couple questions.

Can he hear the pump fire up when he first turns the key?

If not, no pumping. Rap on the bottom of the tank and it may start up and run long enough to get somewhere to change it.

At 141K, I can't believe it hasn't failed yet so my guess is it's toast.

Hey Bish,

Did you change it yourself? How big of a pain in the @ss is it? While looking up prices I noticed that they recommend you change the Pump Strainer and Pig Tail too.

Nope, no choice. My fuel pump went 5 hours from home on a trip back from Orlando with the wife and kids. Not a good time. Same of it was, I was planning on doing it before we left as a preventative measure but ran out of time.

Yes, replace the strainer and pigtail. My pigtail was melted which I'm told is a common problem particularly if you don't change the fuel filter. Not a good thought, melting electrical connections inside a tank of gas.

A friend of mine changed one on his Suburban. The hardest part is dropping the tank...especially if full! The rest was easy.

Be glad you have a 96. My pump alone was $500!

When we changed my dad's 95 Z71's fuel pump, we loosened all the bed mount bolts and lifted it off of the truck. Real easy way to get the top of the tank. 2 people can easily lift the bed, you'd be surprised at how light it is. I've seen people drop the tank, for me, it's easier to remove the bed, only 8 bolts. Chris

Definatly....

pull the bed off. I'd say two grown men could probably move it themselves, but I'd definatly try to get four.

I changed mine a while back (94' Stepside) and it was pretty easy once you get the bed off. Very easy to get to. The one thing is be sure you are careful with wireharness if you choose to replace because it has all the wires you need for fuel gauge. Not hooking them up correctly will leave you gaugeless...

Local Hi-Lo sold me everything I needed for I believe about $80 or so.

Good luck.

Archived