HELP! Dead on the road!

HELP! Yesterday I was coming home, minding my own business, :D when all of a sudden she just DIED! Not a miss, not a stutter, NO warning at all, it just went completely dead! Ok, the truck: 98 Chevy 1500 ext. cab Z71, 5spd, 5.7 liter engine, 132K miles. I called a mechanic buddy of mine to see what he could come up with from 60 miles away and he suggested 1 of 3 things: distributor cap and rotor, coil, or crankshaft position sensor. Ive changed 2 out of the 3, I didnt change the coil, BUT I am getting fire to the cap AND to the plugs, so I dont think it is the coil!

I ended up trailering it home late last night, but MAN I need this truck back up and running by Monday! Any suggestions?

For an engine to run, you need spark at the right time, a decent fuel/air mix in the cylinders and compression.

What's missing? You say you have spark, and I think we can assume it's at the right time. Compression doesn't just suddenly go away.

So that leaves fuel/air. Do you have fuel pressure?

For an engine to run, you need spark at the right time, a decent fuel/air mix in the cylinders and compression.

What's missing?  You say you have spark, and I think we can assume it's at the right time.  Compression doesn't just suddenly go away. 

So that leaves fuel/air.  Do you have fuel pressure?

Is there a way a shadetree mechanic can check fuel pressure? I removed the cap off teh line at the back of the throttle body and depressed the valve. I DECENT fuel spray emerged, then I had my wife crank the engine over while I depressed the valve and I had fuel, just NOT as much as I thought I should have. it was about like a weak drinking fountain. WILL a fuel pump going out go ALL AT ONCE like that and then NEVER even TRY to start back up? These electronic in tank pumps are new to me, but on a good old 350 small block, a pump doesnt normally die without ANY warning!

What's missing?  You say you have spark, and I think we can assume it's at the right time.  Compression doesn't just suddenly go away. 

Also, when I turn the key to "run" position, I can hear the pump run for about 4 or 5 seconds so I know the pump is getting power.

Is there a way a shadetree mechanic can check fuel pressure? I removed the cap off teh line at the back of the throttle body and depressed the valve. I DECENT fuel spray emerged, then I had my wife crank the engine over while I depressed the valve and I had fuel, just NOT as much as I thought I should have. it was about like a weak drinking fountain. WILL a fuel pump going out go ALL AT ONCE like that and then NEVER even TRY to start back up? These electronic in tank pumps are new to me, but on a good old 350 small block, a pump doesnt normally die without ANY warning!

yea, that happend to me. 94' 4.3L V6. It would start one time and the next time it was zilch. The main difference is that my pump wouldn't run briefly before startup, so I knew right then thats what it was. I would still say your fuel pump could be going, but I can't explain why yours will wind up like that as if it was working properly.

Will a fuel filter prevent start up, or just hurt performance?

Archived