Information Please

Can anybody tell me how involved it is to change a heater core on a 1993 GMC Suburban 4WD 454? Is there anything special I need to know, any good tricks etc.? I assume it is the same as any GM 92-94 maybe earlier.

Every now and then I get the smell of hot coolant while driving. The last time this happened it was in my wife's 89 S-15 and it was too long before I realized what it was. When I found the carpet on the passenger side under the mat soaked it was a give away. At least I didn't have to drain the radiator, but it was still a pain in the ass job.

I don't see any loss of coolant. Is there some way to see if there is any leakage at the heater without taking it all apart?

I would like to get it before it dumps all over the floor if that is what it is.

Thanks for any help

• 2 weeks later...

Well on my '92, the bottom of the heater box will drop out. There are about 6 screws (and of course the tricky ones you can see). This job has been undertaken by myself a couple times now and I have it down to a 45 minute R&R task. I found it best to drop the core with the belly of the box. The trouble spot is up front where the carpet comes up to meet the box.

--Mike

Well on my '92, the bottom of the heater box will drop out.  There are about 6 screws (and of course the tricky ones you can see).  This job has been undertaken by myself a couple times now and I have it down to a 45 minute R&R task.  I found it best to drop the core with the belly of the box.  The trouble spot is up front where the carpet comes up to meet the box.

--Mike

Mike

Will the core come out by just removing the bottom or do you have to take out the whole box? And is the 45 minutes just for the bottom of the box?

I know on my '89 S-15 it was an all day job. Take off the kick panel, glove box, duct work, carpet, loosen dash etc.

Thanks, John

The 45 was for complete removal and replace. The bottom of the box drops out, take the core with it and your set. There is a metal "tang" that holds the core in place at the top, just unclips and baaam....

Archived