I'm now in a legal mess

SnakeEyeSS

I will now RANT on the misdirected child enforcement agenices, it's NO wonder that parents have so much trouble getting money.

I just got a letter today. It's disturbing, it's from the Child support agency in jonesburo Arkansas. Suffice to say they've got me confused with someone else. but the letter lists to avoid "embarasment" and work contact, to reply within 5 days of the letters date. that's MONDAY!!!! and I got it today(saturday)!!! I'm smart enough to figure out that if someone tired, they could dig up the very fact that this letter was sent. if this agency contacts Postal Human Resources because of their idiotic mistake, they are asking for trouble, and I could be cleaning up a (their) mess for a while. They is NO WAY on god's green earth that I have ANY kid ANYWHERE( heard of TLW?). It says they got their imfo through the Social security info act. which further confuses me, I'm 19, can't have that much info on me out there, so how did they decide that I am this missing "father", as the leter says I was named as the father. It also says I can sign ackowledgement or opt for genetic testing". I shouldn't have to opt for genetic testing, all they did was pull my name up from some database!!! My parents are sure my middle name would seperate me and this mystery deadbeat dad, but as I stated it say theygot my info from Social Secuirt, so it appears they dont' even have this guys middle name.

What are they asking you to do?

You sure it's real, and not a phishing letter?

Nope, haven't heard of "TLW".

They are asking me to admit paternity and start paying!

TLW= True Love Waits. It's a program some churches run, Mine happned to have it when I was in High School, and I attended. It's a realistic and spiratual appeal for abstensince(ap), and the speakers at it were very effective. Plus, like 1 in 3 people in my generation are or will be infected with an STD. no thanks. :seeya:

I just found the workers e-mail address on the AR DHS website, I contact her telling her this info, and requesting a formal letter of apology to cover for the first letter. ff they give me any beef, I WILL BE seeking legal counsel. From what I know about law, This could warrant a case against the worker as an individual, and the agency if they start "shooting the dead horse"

IF it comes down to a DNA test, They should pay for everything, PLUS be compesated for every penny I miss for getting off work. I should not be inconviencied do to their incompetence.

I work with child support professionals every day. You need to contact a lawyer with family law experience on Monday morning and work through him/her. It might be a phishing attempt at identity theft, but there is a Arkansas state regional child support office in Jonesboro. It is most likely a fishing expedition from the child support paternity establishment group:

- A single mother either on her own or at the direction of the state welfare or Medicaid agency, provided information to this group to attempt to locate an absent father. State welfare and Medicaid agencies are often more aggressive than single moms at going after absent dads to recoup the benefits mom and the child have received.

- If it wasn't so telling about the morals of our society, the questions asked are rather funny: list all persons, known and unknown, that you have dated and/or had sexual encounters with in the year leading up to the birth of the child; list the type of sexual encounter; where the encounter took place (house, apartment, car, park, etc.); number of encounters; date and time of the encounters; name and/or nickname of the person; any address information for the person; any job information for the person; birthday or likely age of the person; physical description (if possible); friends of the person; etc.

- They then use state employment, driver license, sporting license, professional license, and federal social security information to locate likely candidates with similar names, ages, and locations. Based on the information they gathered, someone decided you were the one (or one of a number) of likely candidates.

This is serious stuff that needs to be handled by a lawyer. If you ignore the letter or try to handle it over the phone, they may take the position that you are refusing genetic testing and get a court order to compel testing. In some states, they may be able to schedule a child support hearing based on your refusal. They will send a letter to your employer requesting detailed salary, health insurance, and other information and may eventually send an Income Withholding Notification to your employer and have them start withholding child support. They will also send a National Medical Support Notice to you employer, directing them to enroll the child in any available health insurance offered as a benefit of employment and to start withholding the premiums from your pay.

I don't know what it takes, aside from genetic testing, to call them off. Your lawyer would know best and may be able to send them enough information to call them off. I doubt they will provide you or your lawyer with any information on the person, location, etc.

It may be a case of mistaken identity. It may be a former girfriend that listed you as a friend and they are following up on all leads, knowing that some moms protect the actual fathers. It may be someone who doesn't like you or just gave them your name because she was mad at having to go through additional BS to keep receiving benefits. Good luck.

I just found the workers e-mail address on the AR DHS website, I contact her telling her this info, and requesting a formal letter of apology to cover for the first letter. ff they give me any beef, I WILL BE seeking legal counsel. From what I know about law, This could warrant a case against the worker as an individual, and the agency if they start "shooting the dead horse"

IF it comes down to a DNA test, They should pay for everything, PLUS be compesated for every penny I miss for getting off work. I should not be inconviencied do to their incompetence.

I hope you didn't send any email to the caseworker. Let your lawyer handle all communications. Whatever you do, don't unload on these people. Generally, they are resonable, but require everything to be done according to the rules they are given. Remember, this is a civil, not a criminal matter. There is no presumption of innocence.

BTW, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

I got a couple of these same letters from Louisana. Had my exact name and said I had a kid there (never been to Louisiana!).

The first time, I wrote back and said they had me mistaken for someone else with the same name, yada, yada, yada. No response.

Six months later, I got the same letter again. I trashed it. Haven't heard any more in a year or two.

You're on "this list" because you are working and have Social Security withheld from your pay. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has a lot of information about you aside from a 9-digit number: current and past employers with address, your address, your date of birth, other names you have had, etc. They use the information provided by the mom and a number of search techniques to develop a list of possible dads. For example, the mom may have said that one of her partners was a one-night-stand named Pete Smith (at least that's what she thought his name was) that she met at a concert in OK. She thinks Pete is about her age. Or, her old boyfriend left town when she became pregnant and she heard from friends that he's now living in OK and going by the name Pete Smith. Well, if your name is Peter Smithers, in the correct age range, and working in OK, you may get a letter.

Like I said before, I don't know if a letter from you or your lawyer will convince them without genetic testing. Don't be lulled into complacency because you send them a letter and don't hear back for two years - the administrative wheels often turn very slowly. Oh, and the amount of child support arrearage owed by the person eventually identified as the father continues to grow. You or your parents should ask around, church is a good place to start, and talk to a lawyer casually. A lawyer can guide you on a good first step and it may not cost you anything.

For a 19 year old but is teed off, I got an outcome way better than a few of you were predicting, and guess what, the e-mail DID get things straighten out faster( a lawyer on another site told me it wqas stupid to send it....remind me to never use him!):

well I called and left my number as the worker was busy, she called me back as said this (paraphrase): "hi, this is "____" I got your e-mail. And, no we didn't have your SSN at the time. I did some digging and found the father's brithday, so you will no longer be contacted reguarding this, I have made a notation in the case file that you have nothing to do with it"

and here's the kicker, reguarding the dumb idea of asking for a letter to cover the first:

"A letter stating that you have nothing to do with this case and have no involvement in it, and stating it was a mistake, will be put in the mail today to your address today"

I think she even said sorry for the mix up. I was too shocked too know for sure, everything happned that a few people said wouldn't.

The reason for the error? the only info the mother provided was a possible first and last name, and a possible state. she wasn't even sure anout any of it!

I work with child support professionals every day.  You need to contact a lawyer with family law experience on Monday morning and work through him/her.  It might be a phishing attempt at identity theft, but there is a Arkansas state regional child support office in Jonesboro.  It is most likely a fishing expedition from the child support paternity establishment group:

- A single mother either on her own or at the direction of the state welfare or Medicaid agency, provided information to this group to attempt to locate an absent father.  State welfare and Medicaid agencies are often more aggressive than single moms at going after absent dads to recoup the benefits mom and the child have received.

- If it wasn't so telling about the morals of our society, the questions asked are rather funny:  list all persons, known and unknown, that you have dated and/or had sexual encounters with in the year leading up to the birth of the child; list the type of sexual encounter; where the encounter took place (house, apartment, car, park, etc.); number of encounters; date and time of the encounters; name and/or nickname of the person; any address information for the person; any job information for the person; birthday or likely age of the person; physical description (if possible); friends of the person; etc.

- They then use state employment, driver license, sporting license, professional license, and federal social security information to locate likely candidates with similar names, ages, and locations.  Based on the information they gathered, someone decided you were the one (or one of a number) of likely candidates.

This is serious stuff that needs to be handled by a lawyer.  If you ignore the letter or try to handle it over the phone, they may take the position that you are refusing genetic testing and get a court order to compel testing.  In some states, they may be able to schedule a child support hearing based on your refusal.  They will send a letter to your employer requesting detailed salary, health insurance, and other information and may eventually send an Income Withholding Notification to your employer and have them start withholding child support.  They will also send a National Medical Support Notice to you employer, directing them to enroll the child in any available health insurance offered as a benefit of employment and to start withholding the premiums from your pay.

I don't know what it takes, aside from genetic testing, to call them off.  Your lawyer would know best and may be able to send them enough information to call them off.  I doubt they will provide you or your lawyer with any information on the person, location, etc.

It may be a case of mistaken identity.  It may be a former girfriend that listed you as a friend and they are following up on all leads, knowing that some moms protect the actual fathers.  It may be someone who doesn't like you or just gave them your name because she was mad at having to go through additional BS to keep receiving benefits.  Good luck.

Excellent Advice :chevy:

Archived