!!!! Fuel Problems Help please - dead in the water

I have a 2000 GMC extra cab 4x4 w/ a 5.3L. Today I was getting gas, it was about 85 degrees out, I was at the red line on the gas guage. I put about 20 gallons in the truck, hopped back in to leave and it wouldn't start. The gauge showed empty, the low fuel message stayed on. I waited for about 1/2 hr thinking it might be hot and vapor-locked(if these trucks even do that any more). I checked all the fuses and relays(even swapped relays from a working truck) -nothing. It turns over fine, other gauges work, just no fuel. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Any help is appreciated.

Fuel pump/sending unit  may have overheated and is shot...

check the fuel filter as well..

the fuel pump cools itself with the fuel in the tank, i rarely let mine get below a quarter tank, try turning the key to the on position and go under the hood and find the fuel line and the schrader valve and check pressure, if theres no pressure then you'll know for sure

How much does it normaly cost to repair the fuel pump in a 1999 GMC 5.3, because I think mine went out last night. I was driving my truck with about 3/4 of a tank of gas last night and as I was driving I heard like a clunck and after that my truck didn't have anymore power and then just cut off, it turns over find but just want start and it always start on the first try, and my gas gage has been acting funny for the last year and I've also heared the fuel pump winning every once and awhile, does this sound like my problem? Thanks

Fuel pump/sending unit  may have overheated and is shot...

check the fuel filter as well..

the fuel pump cools itself with the fuel in the tank, i rarely let mine get below a quarter tank, try turning the key to the on position and go under the hood and find the fuel line and the schrader valve and check pressure, if theres no pressure then you'll know for sure

I had always heard that to, but after changing the sending unit on my brother's S-10 Blazer, I'm not so sure that running the tank kind of lowwill cause the pump to over heat. The pump sits in a "cup" that is filled up with fuel. When the fuel level is below the sides of the cup on the outside, there is still fuel inside the cup. I would guess if you run it completely out of gas, there wouldn't be any fuel at all in that cup for a littel while.

Changing fuel pump sending unit

sender_wiring1.jpg

new_sender1.jpg

How much does it normaly cost to repair the fuel pump in a 1999 GMC 5.3, because I think mine went out last night. I was driving my truck with about 3/4 of a tank of gas last night and as I was driving I heard like a clunck and after that my truck didn't have anymore power and then just cut off, it turns over find but just want start and it always start on the first try, and my gas gage has been acting funny for the last year and I've also heared the fuel pump winning every once and awhile, does this sound like my problem? Thanks

On my 91 it cost me $300.

Archived