NSBU switch

Has anyone here had this replaced lately? I need mine replaced, and am wondering if dealerships are keeping these on hand now.

Is the NSBU the Neutral Safety Switch?

If yes, I just had mine replaced at the dealership. ("Transmission" was throwing codes P0700 and P0708 and I wasn't sure if it was the switch or not because my cluster started showing some weird blackout/electrical problem indications at the same time. I was worried I had some other more immediate electrical issues and decided to let the dealer track it down.)

Anyway, the switch was replaced the same day, the cluster had to be ordered.

I would assume then that the switches are in stock.

good luck

bummed.

Thanks. It just started today. The truck acts fine, but the P and D don't lite up when in Park or drive. The doors don't unlock because it doesn't show P. N doesn't work either. It either shows R in reverse, 3, 2, or 1 and that's it. I went from D to 3, then back to D and it would stay in 3rd gear. Then I went to N and back to D and it shifted fine. These trucks do funny things with electrical problems. I have heard of this in other than GM trucks also. I hope this isn't a problem in the future when warranty is expired.

I brought it in today. Here is what the work order says.....

"Customer reports shift indicator doesn't light up and move where it is supposed to."

Here is what they did......

"Checked system and wiring started working after playing with fuse box"

Talk about major mechanic work!!

It started acting up again before I got out of town. I told them exactly which part to fix and they did nothing. By then it was too late to go back, but I am not happy. I am trying another dealer as soon as I can. Can't wait to get the satisfaction survey.

Your description of what is wrong was exactly like mine. THe "fix" they describe is what I did the first couple of times mine went out so it does not suprise me. It took about three weeks before it became more than an intermittant problem and was consitent in its actions all the time. I have an electronics background and I almost never take a vehicle into the shop while the problem is intermittant. It never fails, they can't find anything and charge you for the labor.

In my case, I just got the truck back today, (I was on travel, so it sat in their lot for awhile). They replaced the NSBU switch. it was definitely bad. As I said though, it took three weeks before it failed "hard".

good luck

bummed

Mine failed two days ago on friday. SES light came on, I shifted from P to D it slammed into gear and stayed in third. I thought, here we go. Had a trailer on behind, dropped that off at a friends house and limped it to the dealership in a different town. They looked it over, replaced the switch, but noticed the front and rear axle seals leaking. They are replacing them under my extended warranty, and I get it back on Monday. They even gave me a free rental for the weekend, full of gas. It's a 2005 Malibu. Not a bad loaner. I miss my truck though. :cheers:

Thanks. It just started today. The truck acts fine, but the P and D don't lite up when in Park or drive.

My display flickers bad at idle, and just noticeable while driving. Is the NSBU switch the reason for the flicering gearshift/odometer display?

Sounds more like a loose fuse or something. I'm not a tech, but the NSBU has different symptoms than that.

Archived