Rust!

I just discovered bubbling paint along the entire lower portion of the passanger door. I was wiping the sills and door jambs down after a good washing. What a surprise. The actual location is above the rubber runner and below the plastic door panel on the inside of the door.

Anyone experience anything like this? My truck is out of the 3 year waranty due to time not mileage. I believe all chevys carry a 5 year on rust.

Advice?

I have seen it on many vehicles, including Lexus, but they were more like 10 years old or more. Somewhat rare on a 3 year old truck. There are water drain holes on the bottom of doors and if these holes get plugged, then the sheet metal will rust from the inside out. When you see the bubbled paint, it will be too late - the metal is already rusted all the way through.

GM rust warranty is 6 years 100K miles. However the problem is that it is a rust THROUGH warranty not a rust warranty. So unless you get an actual hole in the outside of the door panel or any A-surface for that matter it is not covered. For reference A-surface is the outside panels of the vehicle and the B-side is the inside including door jambs etc.

Now if you choose to force a rust hole by continuing to apply salty water solution to it to get an actual rust through, GM will then cover it. These trucks should not rust after 3 years at all.

I have seen what you have described on the GMT800's.

Also a popular place for rust bubbles is under the front edge of the hood.

Both of my 02's have bubbles under the front edge of hood.

Advice for everybody: Get some CRC marine corrosion inhibitor spray, and spray the inside of the doors along the lower edge and the inside of the hood lip. This stuff is great: It becomes tacky, like wax when it "dries" and prevents moisture from going under the paint.

Ive seen this happen to the doors, but i cant understand how it happen under the hood lip, is it caused by having a bug deflector or what? Ive used silicone caulk on the inside lip of my doors, maybe ill pull off the bug shield and do the hood, never seen a hood like that. GOOD LUCK!

What do U think? Should I sand it down and treat it with something?

I want to do something before it becomes a bigger problem.

I am almost hoping it will become a real big problem( as Larry Ariz. Said) before the next 3 years so I can have it fixed through the stealership.

Yup, had it on my passenger side door 2 years ago. The GM rust warrenty is for holes, gotta perforate the sheet metal.

140 bucks folding green money and the body shop sandblasted and painted it. No sign of this on the drivers door.

Check your hood latch too, the sheet metal sandwich will rust there too.

Archived