Need advice!

jaslo

Question

I was running the truck in 4 wheel drive down the interstate, bad thing is I didnt know it. We took a trip this weekend and whenever we left this morning to come home, I noticed the truck was shifting weird but I never thought of checking the button to see if I was running in 2 wheel drive mode, funny thing is I never even switched it to 4 wheel drive. So my question is, how hard is it on the truck when I drove down the interstate doing 70 to 80 mph for about 150 miles in 4 wheel drive low? Will I have any problems with the truck down the road? And doesnt the truck kick out of 4 wheel drive whenever you start going too fast? I have one of those touch button 4 wheel drives. I have noticed one day that the light was in Neutral. The only reason I noticed it now was because I was going into town and I noticed it was shifting weird again and looked down and seen it was in 4 LO, so that means I was doing that from Kansas city, which is about 150 miles. I checked the fluid and it looks pink, is that normal? Thanks

0 answers to this question

I was running the truck in 4 wheel drive down the interstate, bad thing is I didnt know it. We took a trip this weekend and whenever we left this morning to come home, I noticed the truck was shifting weird but I never thought of checking the button to see if I was running in 2 wheel drive mode, funny thing is I never even switched it to 4 wheel drive. So my question is, how hard is it on the truck when I drove down the interstate doing 70 to 80 mph for about 150 miles in 4 wheel drive low? Will I have any problems with the truck down the road? And doesnt the truck kick out of 4 wheel drive whenever you start going too fast? I have one of those touch button 4 wheel drives. I have noticed one day that the light was in Neutral. The only reason I noticed it now was because I was going into town and I noticed it was shifting weird again and looked down and seen it was in 4 LO, so that means I was doing that from Kansas city, which is about 150 miles. I checked the fluid and it looks pink, is that normal? Thanks

I would say something electrically is screwed up. I really doubt you could do 70mph in 4 lo, if you could I dont think your engine would make it 150 miles.

The 4 low reduction is 2:1, so if your truck top speed in 2WD is 110 MPH, you could only do 55 MPH in 4WD low in top gear.

As for driving in 4WD high for that many miles on hard pavement, not good for the truck at all. It is hard on all front end components. Part time 4WD is not meant to be used on dry hard pavement. That is why they have Autotract transfer case (auto 4WD). No, your truck will not automatically shift out of 4WD, unless there is something wrong with the system.

Sounds like you need a new 4WD selector switch. They are a common problem.

Archived