Why so few trucks with sunroofs?

Why do so few dealers stock trucks with sunroofs? I test drove a truck identical to the one I ordered except that it didn't have a sunroof. The dealer didn't have a truck with a sunroof and the options I wanted and couldn't find one anywhere in the US. Apparently the day I ordered my truck (with a sunroof), another guy stopped by the dealership looking for a truck with a sunroof.

It seems to be a fairly popular feature--why do so few dealers stock them? :D

Bill

It weakens the stiffness of the cab. GM doesn't want you plowing with a truck equipped with a sun roof. They explicitly state that.

Plus, it costs about $1,250 more. I can put a lot of fun stuff on my rig for $1,250.

We own 3 cars that have sun roofs, and they are closed 99.9% of the time. When open they are too noisy, you can't hear the back seat passengers talk, at certain speeds you get annoying air buffeting, and around here, it lets in too much dust and the sun cooks the inside of the car. The only reason it's on those 3 cars is because we had no choice when be bought them. We explicitly did not want to pay the extra money for the sunroofs but the cars did not come without them. We would have had to special order them. Go figure.

Besides.......it's a truck, not a car or an SUV.

Just my 1 cent.

DEWFPO

I thought the sunroof was for the tall people (like me) to stick their heads out of? At least that has been the case for me with the vehicles we have that have sunroofs :D . On a more serious note dewfpo is exactly right about weakining the cab. GM probably only makes the trucks with a sunroof when ordered to do so.

For one, they are prone to leak. And when we purchased my wife's 03 Burban and ordered my 04 CC, you couldn't get the sunroof with the DVD player. And with daughters 7 & 5, you can bet I'm going for the DVD player!

It weakens the stiffness of the cab.  GM doesn't want you plowing with a truck equipped with a sun roof. They explicitly state that.

Plus, it costs about $1,250 more.  I can put a lot of fun stuff on my rig for $1,250.

We own 3 cars that have sun roofs, and they are closed 99.9% of the time. When open they are too noisy, you can't hear the back seat passengers talk, at certain speeds you get annoying air buffeting, and around here, it lets in too much dust and the sun cooks the inside of the car. The only reason it's on those 3 cars is because we had no choice when be bought them.  We explicitly did not want to pay the extra money for the sunroofs but the cars did not come without them.  We would have had to special order them. Go figure.

Besides.......it's a truck, not a car or an SUV.

Just my 1 cent.

DEWFPO

Ditto. Our car has a sunroof and it was a novelty for about 1 day. Now it just stays shut because the kids are watching the DVD in the back seat and the sun is in their eyes. DEWFPO is right. For that much money I could by EDGE JUICE W/ATTITUDE and a bedliner and put a good down payment on a pipe from BIG ROLLING POWER.

I dug this out of an older post, no offence meant. If you like them then you'll like them.

Sunroofs are now availiable in the trucks and some seem to think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. To me these are a PITA, a definate waste of time and money. I've had several vehicles over the years with sun roofs, T-tops, convertables, and just plain old hard tops. Of all the choices the sunroof is the worst one.

Convertables are the next best thing to a motorcycle for open air motoring pleasure and worth the noise and maintainence associated with it's presence.

T-tops are rugged and offer a large reduction in roof on the occasions when that is preferred with the lowest maintainence and problems (at least on the newer stuff).

Sunroofs offer very little in open air pleasure with all of the drawbacks. They all produce higher interior temperatures on sunny days. A/Cs aren't what they used to be. They generate more wind noise in the cabin that increases with speed. They all eventually jam up and stick, usually at the worst possible time like when it's raining and you're dressed up. The repairs must be preformed by a professional and it's costly and time consuming.

Hard tops are just that solid metal, and since this will be a truck I can't think of anything better than that for a roof over my head. Like I'm driving around looking straight up and seeing anything when I do.

Vernon

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised so many people don't like sunroofs--I probably have mine open 80% of the time I'm driving. Also, it seems to facilitate cigar smoke removal from the vehicle. :D

Bill

I guess I am in the minority in this one. I have an 06 LBZ I just bought a couple weeks ago, and it had the sunroof (LT3 package with sunroof and RSE DVD). When the kids are in the truck, they are usually watching a DVD and the sunroof is closed. However, when I am driving by myself, which is most of the time, I have the sunroof open. I just prefer it. Now, would I have ordered the truck with a sunroof? Probably not. But, now that I have it, I am finding that I like it a lot. :shakehead:

Of course, maybe in a year I'll hate it. I won't admit it though. :wtf:

Cheers!

-Jeff

Does the sunroof have the ability to just raise the back portion of the roof or does it only side front to back? In my wifes Civic I tilt the back of the roof up so you get some airflow through the car.

Yes you can just raise the rear of it. In fact, it is fairly sunny today, so I just popped open the rear of it to let the heat out. It can be kinda noisy with it all the way open at highway speeds, so just lifting the rear is a nice compromise.

hope this helps,

-Jeff

Archived