Possible to find out if dealer screwed me?

I have an '06 1500 reg cab that I took in for it leaning to the left. Dealer said it was out of specs due to a weak spring, and they would replace both rear springs. They say they replaced the springs, but I'm not sure they even touched my truck. Is there any way to know if they did the work? Do the parts come with serial numbers? Anyone know if it's possible to get the serial numbers of the parts that came original on the truck? Thanks.

I have an '06 1500 reg cab that I took in for it leaning to the left.  Dealer said it was out of specs due to a weak spring, and they would replace both rear springs.  They say they replaced the springs, but I'm not sure they even touched my truck.  Is there any way to know if they did the work?  Do the parts come with serial numbers?  Anyone know if it's possible to get the serial numbers of the parts that came original on the truck?  Thanks.

How can they screw you? Its under warrenty. Does it still lean and how much? Dont measure from the ground to the body just the frame.

Well, I'd say they're screwing with me if they told me they replaced the springs when they didn't.

Yes, it still leans. Looks the same to me. They told me as long as it was within 7/8", they couldn't touch it. I didn't think it was off that much, maybe 3/4" at the most, but they said it was out of specs.

I'm just wanting to figure out whether they really did the work they say they did before I take it back.

There are usually certain telltale signs that they did the work. Look closely at the spring mounting bolts: Are there any signs of these bolts being removed and reinstalled? Is there any rust on the new springs? Typically, there will not be rust on a new part just installed. Also, there could be some paper labels affixed to the new springs.

Too bad you did not secretely mark the old springs before you took in in. Several red paint dots in strategic places would be all it takes.

They cant screw you if your not paying for it.

Considering I bought a brand new truck from them, I would say I have already paid for it indirectly. Included in the price of the truck is a warranty. I'm sure the manufacturers could lower their prices if they didn't offer a factory warranty with their vehicles because then they wouldn't have to budget/forecast for repair costs.

However, that's not the point. Paying for it or not, they said they replaced the rear springs when it appears they did not. Since the vehicle is under warranty, they are obligated to correct any issues that would fall under the warranty. I brought it in for them to look at. It was them that said the springs needed to be replaced. They could have just told me it was within specs instead of telling me they fixed it. There is nothing right about that.

I guess if you're dealer offered you a free oil change, you took it in, and they didn't change the oil or filter, but told you they did, then they wouldn't have screwed you because you didn't pay for it. Bad logic.

Well techinically they screwed you and GM if they did not replace your springs when they told you they did.

You did not get what was promised and GM pays for a repair that never happened, therefore making the dealer a criminal.

easiest way to see if the springs were changed is look for witness marks on the U-bolts that hold the springs. It should be obvious.

It is unlikely that if they replaced the spring the truck would continue to lean exactly the same.

It sound like the dealer sold you a story to try and get you to stop complaining. You certainly have a right to complain. Once again I would love to know why dealers don't just fix trucks honestly and have GM pay for it. The dealers are not GM, they are privately owned businesses that happen to sell GM product.

If it was out of spec before, and they didn't replace the springs, then it's still out of spec and they need to correct the problem.

DEWFPO

If it was out of spec before, and they didn't replace the springs, then it's still out of spec and they need to correct the problem.

DEWFPO

"Once again I would love to know why dealers don't just fix trucks honestly and have GM pay for it".

Maybe GM's checks are bouncing? LOL

"Once again I would love to know why dealers don't just fix trucks honestly and have GM pay for it".

The dealer can make the money with out making the repair.

It is possible that the dealer did do the repair but that the original springs are fine and the lean is not associated with the springs. Replacing the springs would do nothing to fix the issue.

If the rear leaves are replaced properly, you should have new U bolts over the axle. Look to where the front of the spring bolts to the frame and see if the threads look fresh or have the same layer of dust and grime as the rest of the frame in that area. Even a few thousand miles in dry driving will show.

Archived