Magnaflow CatBack Install

Hey guys,

Well i went ahead and ordered my Magnaflow Exhaust part # 15792 for my truck. I am really excited to get it put on. I am planning to do the work my self because the instructions sound pretty easy. Then again i have thought many times that a set of instructions were easy and turned out to be a nightmere. The way i understand it is that you just take out the two bolts from the stock exhaust, remove the whole stock exhaust system (does it require any cutting?), then just bolt up the new one.

It sounds easy to me, but i just wanted to double check. Also, how do all these parts form tight seals so that they dont leak?

THanks for your help!

That's it, those two bolts are usually welded together though from heat and rust, so you might need to cut them off. Also you have to wrestle the old exhaust out if you don't want to cut it up.

If the two bolts have welded togeather from the heat and rust...whats the best way (with what tool) to get them off and what do i replace them with?

OK from my experience.

First, I've heard it's easier to cut the stock pipe behind the muffler to help get it out. It can be done without cutting but sounds like a pain. Maybe try that first and then cut if you have to.

Second, the two bolts. On mine would not, even after being soaked in PB Blaster for an hour, come off. I used heat from a propane torch thinking it would lossen them, but it just made them break off real easy when I cranked on them. The catch is... they aren't really bolts. They are studs that are pressed into the Y-Pipe flange and a nut on the other side. What finally worked for me was heating the head of the stud (front side of the Y-pipe) with my propane torch until it was bright red, and then hammer on the thread side. One of mine took a couple of heat up, cool off cycles before it wanted to budge.

Once you get them out go to NAPA (or whereever) and get a couple hardened nuts and bolts the same size/length the studs were.

When I put my Corsa on the bolts came right out with no trouble. I also removed the rear shock to make it a little easier to pull the old exhaust out and install the new. It took me and a buddy less than an hour to switch it.

When I put my Corsa on the bolts came right out with no trouble. I also removed the rear shock to make it a little easier to pull the old exhaust out and install the new. It took me and a buddy less than an hour to switch it.

How old and how many miles when you made the swap?

Mine was 3 years old and 35000 miles. Plus, I live in Maine so road salt was in no short supply.

How old and how many miles when you made the swap?

Mine was 3 years old and 35000 miles. Plus, I live in Maine so road salt was in no short supply.

Well I got under there this afternoon and took a look at the nuts. They are rusted pretty well but not horribly. I have a really sucky supply of tools and of course the one socket wrench i needed was the one i didnt have (kids) and so i ran out to the hardware store and picked one up. The one i picked up was a 15mm and that seems to be the right size (correct me if i am wrong). I have not tried it out yet, but when i do i will let you know. Now, if i try and fail i will have to break these suckers off. Once i break them off exactly what part to i replace them with? Thanks!

Archived