"Service 4WD" light coming on

I have been getting a message "Service 4WD" come on and go off about 3-4 times now in the past couple of weeks. 4WD seems to work fine when I engage it. Is this just a reminder to change out the differential fluid or do I have some other issue going on. I'm approaching 70K miles.

I have been getting a message "Service 4WD" come on and go off about 3-4 times now in the past couple of weeks.  4WD seems to work fine when I engage it.  Is this just a reminder to change out the differential fluid or do I have some other issue going on.  I'm approaching 70K miles.

When the message comes on are any of the lights working on the 4x4 switch?

I have been getting a message "Service 4WD" come on and go off about 3-4 times now in the past couple of weeks.  4WD seems to work fine when I engage it.  Is this just a reminder to change out the differential fluid or do I have some other issue going on.  I'm approaching 70K miles.

The message has been coming on while I am in 2WD. I can switch to 4WD and the indicator light comes on showing 4WD working without any problems.

The message has been coming on while I am in 2WD. I can switch to 4WD and the indicator light comes on showing 4WD working without any problems.

Although I'm not sure which one of the two problems you have, this is fairly common. When mine came on (also in 2wd) all the lights went out on the switch. I took out the fuse, left it out for a minute, and plugged it back in and it worked fine. After a while even that didnt work so I did some searching on here and discovered it is either the contacts on the switch itself or the motor down below on the transfer case.

Following someones advice, I took my switch out, took it apart, and resoldered all the contact points. Haven't had a problem since.

Might try a search here. I think I used "service 4x4" as my keywords.

there are two common problems w/auto 4x4, one is like described "switch" problems, replace /repair......the other involves a sensor internal to the encoder motor, which is fairly inexpensive, and not very difficult to replace. there should be a code stored in your pcm to assist in diag, if there is a C0327, than I would replace the sensor in the encoder motor.

I had the same prob w/ my 2003 K2500HD. The message popped up on the display, and I was unable to get the module to respond. No lights, no backlights, no nothin', if I remember right. I pulled the module and reflowed all the solder joints and thought I had fixed it. I was wrong, it appeared about a year later.

Then I had the Front Diff, T-Case, and Tranny changed over to Synthetic at a shop. He ran it on the machine and found a bunch of updates it needed (about 10-? updates). One of them was to fix the "Service 4WD" message supposedly. I have not seen it since.

The only bad part is that it costs to hook it up to the machine. But then again, he has to pay for the machine, and any updates. I think it was worth it since I've never seen the Service 4WD message after that.

Jim

Archived