Fuel Pump Going Bad?

ok here is the problem.

When i get in my truck to start it sometimes it starts up fine.

Other times it will start and then spit and sputter and stall out. When i try to restart it after this happens it just cranks and crank for a bit until it finally turns over.

Sometimes it has a hard time turning over on the first try.

Im just wondering if the fuel pump is going out on me? I also notice that sometimes

it just doesnt have the power it should.. it gets bogged down sort of.

I have replaced the fuel filter and changed the plugs and wires already.

It is a 2000 GMC sierra extended cab with 186,000 miles. Original fuel pump in it.

Also my gas gauge does not work right (hasnt worked since way back) just wondered if this would also be fixed by changing the fuel pump?

Im pretty much fed up with this truck doing this.

Thanks for any input into this problem.

I have a 2001, 125000 miles, and it sometimes does the sputter thing but not often. My gas gauge hasn't worked in I don't know how long. It goes from full to E randomly. I was told it was the indicater float in the tank and it had just either gotten scummed up and is not floating right or something.

I have a 2001, 125000 miles, and it sometimes does the sputter thing but not often. My gas gauge hasn't worked in I don't know how long. It goes from full to E randomly. I was told it was the indicater float in the tank and it had just either gotten scummed up and is not floating right or something.

my gas gauge does the same thing. When i fill it up it stays on "E" as i drive it goes up and down ... I have learned to just use the milage for figuring how much gas i got. I Just need to fix the spitting and sputtering/stalling problem

Guest chevydeerhunter

Sounds like the fuel pump to me. I had the same thing happen to my 98 S-10. It would start up just fine, then the next time I'd have to crank and crank it, then it would turn over.

my gas gauge does the same thing. When i fill it up it stays on "E" as i drive it goes up and down ... I have learned to just use the milage for figuring how much gas i got. I Just need to fix the spitting and sputtering/stalling problem

My 2000 has the erratic fuel guage. This is the sender unit that is going bad from corrosion. Unfortunately you have to replace the whole fuel pump as the sender is all one piece. The sputtering your getting is the fuel pump itself is crapping out. So you might as well get that fixed before it strands you somewhere.

my 2000 was fine till a buddy of mine asked if my fuel guage stopped working.......his started doing like all of yours at 150K...........mine was working fine up to about that same mileage........not 2 weeks after he asked me, mine started doing the same damned thing..........

mine also starts at random, but usually takes 2-3 attempts to fire up.........thx for the warning

Same with me, but I have to actually shake my truck to get it to go back to F. Also it only does this when I have a full tank of gas so I stopped worrying about it. Otherwise it is as correct as it is going to get. Also I have a question, how many of you have a tank that will put the needle on empty but still have about 5 gallons of gas left?

I am having a similar problem with my truck (01 6.0) ....

I checked the fuel pressure and it goes up to 50 lbs ignition on.

Start truck and it runs around 50 lbs also. As rpm's change pressure will change then come back to around 50#.

I removed the vacuum line from the fuel press regulator (while running) and pressure jumps to 60# right away.

No fuel comes out of the fuel pressure regulator while it is running, but once I shut the truck off and pull the vacuum line some gas does come out then.

So my questions are .... what shuts the fuel pump off when you just turn the ignition on without starting the truck?

Since it is shutting off at 50# (and this is apparently below spec) that is one possible source for a defective part.

Based on the pressure staying at 50# while running and the fact that fuel comes out of the regulator when the truck is shut off, I am thinking that there is a high probability that the fuel pressure regulator will need to be replaced. (Please correct me if I am wrong) The regulator seems to be maintaining 50#. When I remove the vacuum line pressure jumps to 60# which has me entertaining hopes that the actual fuel pump is OK.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong in any of this or if there are any other tests that I need to do ...

Also, is there any advice on replacing the regulator? I have not worked on this type before ....

Thanks in advance....

:)

ok here is the problem.

When i get in my truck to start it sometimes it starts up fine.

Other times it will start and then spit and sputter and stall out. When i try to restart it after this happens it just cranks and crank for a bit until it finally turns over.

Sometimes it has a hard time turning over on the first try.

Im just wondering if the fuel pump is going out on me? I also notice that sometimes

it just doesnt have the power it should.. it gets bogged down sort of.

I have replaced the fuel filter and changed the plugs and wires already.

It is a 2000 GMC sierra extended cab with 186,000 miles. Original fuel pump in it.

Also my gas gauge does not work right (hasnt worked since way back) just wondered if this would also be fixed by changing the fuel pump?

Im pretty much fed up with this truck doing this.

Thanks for any input into this problem.

well just to give an update. I fixed the problem today. It was NOT the fuel pump. I have been doing some reading online and read about the fuel pressure regulator. It said if you remove the vacuum line and you can see gas on the end or if its wet from gas then the regulator is bad. I bought the part today at my local NAPA for $67. It solved the problem completely.

You can get the part from autozone for $45 , but I didnt have one anywhere close. Its a simple easy fix that took all of 10 minutes. just pull off a clip and the old part and new part on with new clip. simple as that, problem solved.

Archived