Disable Automatic Door Locks

jon99z71

Question

I was just wondering if there is a way to disable the automatic power lock feature on my 99 Sierra. All the owners manual says is to see the dealer. As soon as the truck gets to 15mph the doors lock! drives me nuts!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 answers to this question

Try this: 1) Unlock the doors. Starting with the ignition OFF, pull back on the turn signal lever and hold it back while you turn the key to RUN and then OFF -- TWICE. Then, with the key in OFF, release the turn signal lever. You should then hear the lock mechanism lock and unlock.

2) You now have 30 seconds to program the locks. To disable the auto-lock function, press the LOCK side of the power

door-lock switch on the door panel TWICE. This will turn off the auto-lock feature.

At least, this is how it works on my 01 Silverado, it's worth a go...If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to do this?

Philip

Try this: 1) Unlock the doors. Starting with the ignition OFF, pull back on the turn signal lever and hold it back while you turn the key to RUN and then OFF -- TWICE. Then, with the key in OFF, release the turn signal lever. You should then hear the lock mechanism lock and unlock.

2) You now have 30 seconds to program the locks. To disable the auto-lock function, press the LOCK side of the power

door-lock switch on the door panel TWICE. This will turn off the auto-lock feature.

At least, this is how it works on my 01 Silverado, it's worth a go...If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to do this?

Philip

I tried what you said, but it doesn't seem to work on my truck. I tried to use my buddy's 2000 Suburban manual to disable the locks, but it seems to have a similar sequence as you discribed, but it also doesn't work. It may be that this being the first year of the new body style they didn't offer the option to disable them without reprograming the computer, that's why it says in my manual to take it to the dealer.

I wan't to disable them because, every time I want to get out, I can't because I'm locked in!!! I don't need my truck to lock me in thank you very much, I don't see the reason for them to lock automatically in the first place!

Not trying to promote a brother forum....Some frown on that. :D

But wanted to give credit where due, and found this:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/archiv...x.php/f-35.html

#'s, 60 & 150. Pertain to the thread. Part of 60 is below. You will notice a more precise procedure. I'd probably have to practice for 15', to get it right in 10"

To see full page:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-75270.html

99 silverado door lock

To enter programming mode you need to:

1.) Beginning with the ignition in OFF, pull back on the turn

signal/multifunction lever all the way toward you and hold it

while you perform the next step.

2.) Turn the key to ON and OFF twice. Then, with the key

in OFF, release the turn signal/multifunction lever. Once

you do this, you will hear the lock switch lock and unlock

and a ten second program timer will begin.

3.) You are now ready to program the automatic door locks.

Select one of the four programming options listed below.

Follow the instructions then wait for the ten second timer

to expire. The programmable auto door locks will now

operate in the selected mode. If you were unable to complete

the programming in the time allowed, repeat the procedure

beginning with step 1.

Available programming options:

All doors lock/Driver's door unlocks only::

Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the

door panel once, and then the unlock side once.

All doors lock/All doors unlock::

door panel once, and then the unlock side twice (this is

the factory setting)

All doors lock/None of the doors unlock::

Press the lock side of the power door lock switch in the

door panel once, and then the unlock side three times.

No doors lock/None of the doors unlock::

Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on

the door panel twice. This turns off the automatic door

lock feature.

'00 tahoes yukons silverados

Transmitter Programming

: 1.Start with the ignition OFF, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. Turn ignition key ON,

: OFF, ON, OFF. Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.

:

: 2.Hold down the keyless entry transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 15 seconds. The locks will again

: cycle once.

:

: 3.Repeat step #2 for each additional keyless entry transmitter.

:

: 4.Turn the ignition on to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode. Programming is now

: complete.

Prok

11-10-2003, 09:09 PM

Does this work with GMC's as well?

Dubyagee

11-10-2003, 11:00 PM

I was informed by the local dealership that it applies to the same year gmc's as well

On another forum, a feller worked the code with the buttons on the radio.

Hope this helps………….

Steve :smoker:

Philip

I tried what you said, but it doesn't seem to work on my truck. I tried to use my buddy's 2000 Suburban manual to disable the locks, but it seems to have a similar sequence as you discribed, but it also doesn't work. It may be that this being the first year of the new body style they didn't offer the option to disable them without reprograming the computer, that's why it says in my manual to take it to the dealer.

I wan't to disable them because, every time I want to get out, I can't because I'm locked in!!! I don't need my truck to lock me in thank you very much, I don't see the reason for them to lock automatically in the first place!

Philip

Not trying to promote a brother forum....Some frown on that. :lol:

But wanted to give credit where due, and found this:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/archiv...x.php/f-35.html

#'s, 60 & 150. Pertain to the thread. Part of 60 is below. You will notice a more precise procedure. I'd probably have to practice for 15', to get it right in 10"

To see full page:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-75270.html

99 silverado door lock

To enter programming mode you need to:

1.) Beginning with the ignition in OFF, pull back on the turn

signal/multifunction lever all the way toward you and hold it

while you perform the next step.

2.) Turn the key to ON and OFF twice. Then, with the key

in OFF, release the turn signal/multifunction lever. Once

you do this, you will hear the lock switch lock and unlock

and a ten second program timer will begin.

3.) You are now ready to program the automatic door locks.

Select one of the four programming options listed below.

Follow the instructions then wait for the ten second timer

to expire. The programmable auto door locks will now

operate in the selected mode. If you were unable to complete

the programming in the time allowed, repeat the procedure

beginning with step 1.

Available programming options:

All doors lock/Driver's door unlocks only::

door panel once, and then the unlock side once.

All doors lock/All doors unlock::

door panel once, and then the unlock side twice (this is

the factory setting)

All doors lock/None of the doors unlock::

Press the lock side of the power door lock switch in the

door panel once, and then the unlock side three times.

No doors lock/None of the doors unlock::

Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on

the door panel twice. This turns off the automatic door

lock feature.

'00 tahoes yukons silverados

Transmitter Programming

: 1.Start with the ignition OFF, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. Turn ignition key ON,

: OFF, ON, OFF. Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.

:

: 2.Hold down the keyless entry transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 15 seconds. The locks will again

: cycle once.

:

: 3.Repeat step #2 for each additional keyless entry transmitter.

:

: 4.Turn the ignition on to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode. Programming is now

: complete.

Prok

11-10-2003, 09:09 PM

Does this work with GMC's as well?

Dubyagee

11-10-2003, 11:00 PM

I was informed by the local dealership that it applies to the same year gmc's as well

On another forum, a feller worked the code with the buttons on the radio.

Hope this helps………….

Steve :rolleyes:

The 1999 trucks (GMC or Chevrolet) dont have the option to self disable or even enter the mode. The option was added in the 2000 model year. To disable (only disable - not set any other way.) you have to go to the dealer and have them reprogram your BCM (Body control module). Its under Gm Bulletin #99-08-64-003A published 9-27-99. Go to the dealer and give them that bulletin #. It depends on how well you are with the dealer if they are going to warranty it. The bulletin reads as it can be done under warranty once on a vehicle. I know i am a new user, but i have been working at a chevrolet dealer since before that body style truck came out and remember that being an issue.

Archived