Question: Dl8 To Dl3 Mirrors

i searched 'DL3' and read until my eyes bled but didn't find an answer to this specific question. i want to upgrade from DL8 to DL3 mirrors. my truck does not have door modules so it's my understanding that i won't be able to use the power fold feature but i will gain the integrated turn signals, which is all i care about. my owner's manual says something along the lines of: "if power-folding mirrors are accidentally folded manually, they may not re-lock into position and could vibrate out of place when driving on the highway. to correct this, use the power-folding buttons located on the driver's door to re-position the mirrors into their locked position".

to anyone who's performed this upgrade and doesn't have power-folding operation after the fact, do you still manually fold your mirrors? if so do you notice them not locking into position? during the winter i go through automatic car washes so i need to be able to fold my mirrors in with no repercussions. i've got a new set of DL3 mirrors i'm interested in on ebay and would like to pull the trigger today, so thanks in advance for speedy responses.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, the other question I have to this.. (I have read a few things, but not gotten all in depth) Is the wiring for the modules there? in other words, can I just add the modules and get the power folding?

Thnaks,

Brian

Never folded the ones I had, but they never collapsed either.

You can always reuse your mirror and just relpace the mirror glass and harness, this is what I did and it accomplished exactly what you want.

You can always reuse your mirror and just relpace the mirror glass and harness, this is what I did and it accomplished exactly what you want.

thanks for the advice asilverblazer. that seems like a decent alternative, but if it's possible i would really like to just replace the whole mirror. it seems like an easier installation (correct me if i'm wrong). also i want to ebay my DL8's. it would be a difficult sell if they are DL8 glass in DL3 housings. but if it turns out there's not way to manually fold a DL3 then i will do just what you suggested.

Yes. You can easily fold the DL3s. They manually fold in and out without any problems. I've never heard of the 'not locking back into place' issue, but I've only manually folded mine a few times. I generally use the button.

Also, as far as the door modules, when I did the Camper Mirror to DL3 conversion, I went round and round throughout this whole process. SLT and LTZ trucks, along with some highly optioned SLEs and LTs have the door modules from the factory. While working side-by-side with my dealer programmer and the Tech 2 trying to figure out the programming for mine, I learned a couple of things. First, most of the Tech 2 programming for your mirrors, switches, locks and everything else in your doors is located in the switches themselves. When the Tech 2 was talking to my truck, each switch assembly on each front door had to be separately programmed with their own set of codes. I think the door module refers mainly to the switch assemblies (which by the way are the switch types common to SLT/LTZ, Suburbans, Yukons, etc. and are different than the "Pure Truck" dash/switch design). As far as anything else making up the door module system, I don't think so. There are no other 'modules' within my doors that I have seen when I've had the panels off. And nothing had to be programmed other than my 2 door switches.

So basically, I think you would need to begin with the switches to add the door modules. The SLT/LTZ type switches would be compatible. I'm not sure if you could get the power folding mirrors with the "Pure Truck" interior / door panels, but if so, you would need one of those power-fold specific switches to begin.

Now, the other question I have to this.. (I have read a few things, but not gotten all in depth) Is the wiring for the modules there? in other words, can I just add the modules and get the power folding?

Thnaks,

Brian

No the wiring is not there. You can not just add modules/switches. I don't believe the switches you currently 'should' have can be reporgrammed. As far as replacing the glass being more work, yes and no, a lot of the same things have to be done. as far as dis assembly, the extra work comes from glass replacement and harness modifications, neither were major undertakings. I did it because all the extra power fold stuff extra wiring etc.. from the power fold mirrors was just extra weight. (The power fold mirrors have an aluminum frame vs. plastic for non power fold.) Another reason was the power fold mirrors vibrated, not that this is typical to all of them. End result I have the features I could add with out a bunch of non functioning garb either.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for all the info everyone :confused: . i found a set of DL3 mirrors from an ebay seller for $200 shipped. my girlfriend decided she wanted to get them for me for my birthday (she's a keeper). finally found time to install them today even though it's 19ºF out, 10º with wind chill. install went fine, i took my time and it took about 2 hours.

i was able to install the mirrors without fully removing the door panel.

mirror1.jpg

didn't really matter though as i ended up removing the entire door panel so i could get it to seat properly for reinstallation.

here they are installed:

mirror2.jpg

mirror3.jpg

nice little inexpensive upgrade. i'm very happy with them.

• 1 year later...

Hello. New Member to the forum.. Mainly joined to find out about this thread and found that I can find a lot more that just this.. I have a 2010 GMC SLE that I am trying to add power folding mirrors to. I would like to have the folding capability once I get them added. I know I need to change out my switches to make it happen. I have purchased a 2008 module off ebay which has the folding switch on it but when I remove the one from my truck to change it out the connectors from the wiring harness are different and I can't use the 2008. I am wondering if GMC has a 2010 switch module for the SLE wiring harness.. Its hard to believe that GMC changes it wiring harness betweek the truck styles.

Archived