Question: Dl8 To Dl3 Mirrors

Does the drivers mirror auto dim feature work plug and play?

Unless something changed from earlier years no,the auto-dim feature is not plug-n-play (the power glass adjustment,heat,and turn-signal is however)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My truck came with the power folding with signals and heat. I swapped them out for the towing style pull out mirrors. They will not stay still. I actually turned them off on the dic control. Do I need just to have the bcm reprogrammed? My oem were power folding but these are not. My truck is 07 ltz. Thanx...Tom

Nope,No need to have the BCM reprogrammed. Your having issues with the glass/housing vibrating.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a picture of where the dl3s are supposed to plug into? I'm at the dealership that has painted my mirrors and they say that they cannot plug them in because dl3s have 2 wires and mine only had 1 or maybe none. I have an SLE but does this mean I cannot convert to dl3s? He doesn't get the above response of plug into switch panel. Thanks

Does anyone have a picture of where the dl3s are supposed to plug into? I'm at the dealership that has painted my mirrors and they say that they cannot plug them in because dl3s have 2 wires and mine only had 1 or maybe none. I have an SLE but does this mean I cannot convert to dl3s? He doesn't get the above response of plug into switch panel. Thanks

the mirrors plug into the drivers and passengers side window switches. if you had the luxury interior, the dl3 mirrors are plug and play. if you have the true truck interior, then only one of the two wires on the dl3's will plug into the switches. the one that will not plug in is the one for the signal. this can be overcome by simply putting in a jumper from the mirror harness to the truck harness to activate the signal. hold on and i will get a site for the wiring breakdown to make it easy.

http://www.muthco.com/epapers/21001330.pdf

this is the website for an aftermarket signal mirror that has instructions on how to wire the signals when your door switched don't match the mirror connection mentioned above. You can use these instructions to hook the signals up yourself

By the way, you have to remove the door panels and do a little bit of work to route the wiring for the mirrors. good luck

Thanks man. Appreciate the help. I was under the impression (hence why I bought) that the only thing that was not plug and play was the power fold...I didn't want to get into wiring. I guess I'm going to have dl3's that don't work for a while

Thanks man. Appreciate the help. I was under the impression (hence why I bought) that the only thing that was not plug and play was the power fold...I didn't want to get into wiring. I guess I'm going to have dl3's that don't work for a while

It's just two wires, and it is already in the door, just a connector issue. Very easy to do. BUT, the LED MUST have the + and - phased correctly for it to work.

I must have gotten lucky. Turns work without mod. The bottom light doesn't work but that's probably involved with the other plug and I can live without that.

You know what, you are right!! When I did mine, over a year ago now, that was the wire that had to be spliced in!!!! Sorry about that!! My memory is fading.........

• 3 weeks later...
MS3DALE (Rich) and I have been working on this for my 2008 Sierra. We're planning to swap the wiring harnesses in my doors, but the ones I need are on national backorder. I'm going to try the driver's side first, and if it works, I'll do the passenger side, too. I already have a programmed switch for the driver's side...it's my understanding that the passenger side switch must also be programmed for the passenger side mirror to fold. I'll let you all know if it works should the harness come off of backorder.

What was the outcome of using the factory harnesses? I just purchased mirrors and a switch thinking the swap would be a slam dunk, only to find that this is nothing like my 2007 GMT-800. Not only did I find that I do not have a door module, the mirror connectors seem to be completely different. I really hope to not have to rewire the mirror connector and then add an aftermarket DPDT switch. I also found that the bezel that I purchased seems about an inch too long but it was the correct silver.

Thanks,

Dan

If your truck has the hardwired switches then you have to get new door wire harnesses to the body,data bus style switches to match your current trim level then have the bcm programmed for them to function , they will be partially functional but not all till its programmed by the dealer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

...to anyone who's performed this upgrade and doesn't have power-folding operation after the fact, do you still manually fold your mirrors? if so do you notice them not locking into position? during the winter i go through automatic car washes so i need to be able to fold my mirrors in with no repercussions...

This is what I'd like to know. I found a pair of painted and unused DL3 mirrors for my 2011 Silverado, and want to know the following:

• I've got an LT with what they call a "true truck" interior. I don't care about the power folding part - all I want is the signal, heat and power adjustment. Can I manually fold the DL3 mirrors in like the above guy asked? You know, just push them inwards flat against the truck.

• They appear to be in a folded-in state but are not mounted on the truck. I've pulled them out as hard as I dare without breaking them, but they're firmly in the "folded-in" state. How do I get them in a normal state (out) without an electrical connection for the motor?

Thanks for your help. I'd like to have them in a normal state, so I can take them to my local paint shop to paint 'em shiny black, then be able to mount them on the truck.

M

I've got an LT with what they call a "true truck" interior. I don't care about the power folding part - all I want is the signal, heat and power adjustment. Can I manually fold the DL3 mirrors in like the above guy asked? You know, just push them inwards flat against the truck

Yes, I have manually folded in the ones on my Tahoe and Silverado with zero issues and they felt the same as the old DL8's

Archived