6 Mpg? 2001 8.1l Hd Silverado

I am the proud ownder of a 6MPG Gas GUZZLER.

Its a 2001 8.1L silverado 2500HD. Ive got a 6" lift and some 35" tires on it. Other than that i have no idea why my gas mileage would be so low. I dont tow anything.. When i bought it I thought I would have at least 10MPG at a minimum. Anyone else have the bad gas mileage that I have?? I am about to buy a cheap car to drive for this summer, or attempt to sell the truck. Still owe 13k :P

Not that it will change alot, but is the computer programmed for the larger tires? If not, that could cause the bad reading on the mileage.

Otherwise OUCH! :drool:

Steven

+1

A taller tire without the computer adjusted accordingly can make your mileage look a lot worse than it really is.

How long have you had the truck?

The 6.0 in the HD's is not known for mileage, but your lift and tires are not helping either.

Not that it will change alot, but is the computer programmed for the larger tires? If not, that could cause the bad reading on the mileage.

Otherwise OUCH! :drool:

Steven

+1

A taller tire without the computer adjusted accordingly can make your mileage look a lot worse than it really is.

The 8.1 in the HD's is not known for mileage, but your lift and tires are not helping either.

Fixed :tear:

I agree with Steven. If you didn't program the computer for 35's, you are traveling farther than what the odometer will say. Thus, causing false calculations in terms of MPG's.

Otherwise OUCH! :lol:

Steven

+1

The 8.1 in the HD's is not known for mileage, but your lift and tires are not helping either.

Fixed :D

I agree with Steven. If you didn't program the computer for 35's, you are traveling farther than what the odometer will say. Thus, causing false calculations in terms of MPG's.

Ummm the 6.0's weren't either...ummm :drool:

Brain Fart...every now and then you need someone to :tear:

:lol:

Yup, they had DIC, my buddy had an 01 CC with the 8.1l, he got 12mpg, no lift and all stock, to the OP I`d recommend a tune (especially for tire size) and exhaust change, those would probly benefit you the most, my westers tuner said hes had very happy customers that drive a tuned 8.1l, big improvements all around.

Yup, they had DIC, my buddy had an 01 CC with the 8.1l, he got 12mpg, no lift and all stock, to the OP I`d recommend a tune (especially for tire size) and exhaust change, those would probly benefit you the most, my westers tuner said hes had very happy customers that drive a tuned 8.1l, big improvements all around.

I've had the truck about a year and a half and the first thing I did was get exhaust. I have dual Flowmaster super 44's. I couldnt stand having such a beastly truck with such a big engine sounding like a little S-10.

Anyway, I didnt think the bigger tires would throw off the mileage that much. Im going to have to look into that when I get the time. I think to test that theory i will drive like 10 miles with a friend in another car i know is right, and compare.

I think to test that theory i will drive like 10 miles with a friend in another car i know is right, and compare.

Another way to check your odometer, is to get on the interstate and use the mile marker signs on the side of the road.

Over a few miles distance, they are surprisingly accurate.

I've had the truck about a year and a half and the first thing I did was get exhaust. I have dual Flowmaster super 44's. I couldnt stand having such a beastly truck with such a big engine sounding like a little S-10.

Anyway, I didnt think the bigger tires would throw off the mileage that much. Im going to have to look into that when I get the time. I think to test that theory i will drive like 10 miles with a friend in another car i know is right, and compare.

You went from probably a 245 or 265 tire which is 30-31 inches (on the truck) to your 35's which are probably 34 inches on the truck. I noticed about 2-3 mph difference just from switching one inch larger and you switched up by about 3-4! I think getting your speedo reprogrammed correctly may help out, but its also possible that a big block HD chevy truck with a big lift, big tires, and pipes would get that...lifts don't exactly create efficiency. First I would see how far you're off, just keep in mind its exponential, the greatest change will be on the interstate, and the difference in the actual versus speedo speed will get greater as you go faster. My guess is it may be up to 10 mph off which could potentially be 2-3 mpg you're actually getting but just think you don't.

Archived