has any one ran e85 in there older 8.1, I was just wondering if it made a difference or if it was possible thanks

I believe Vernon runs it on his 01, on this forum look for Haulin'8.1 and on Dieselplace look for Manic Mechanic. You'll have to PM him, he knows all about it.

Hulk

The 8.1L engine in the 2500HD is not setup to run E-85 out of the box. Only E15. Does your truck have a FlexFuel emblem on it?

DEWFPO

my 7.4L vortec in my 99 hates E85 it runs like garbage. I had to add 2 octane boosters to it to get it to run half way decent. I was up in Iowa and got stuck with E85 as they had nothing else.

It's because your computer is not programmed for it. You could do some serious damage to a motor that is not designed for E85. It will run really lean.

I'm not sure what the octane boost did for you. I have a feeling the computer just compensated enough finely to make it run just ok. Because E85 actually has about 100+ octane rating.

According to some sources, E85 has only about 67% of the BTU's as pure gasoline. If you have to run it in an engine not set up to handle it will either not run or run like crap.

DEWFPO

The 8.1L engine in the 2500HD is not setup to run E-85 out of the box. Only E15. Does your truck have a FlexFuel emblem on it?

DEWFPO

no its an 02, did some research on her sounds like it would have to have bigger injectors to run half way decent and a re tune would help a little more with going back and forth

DEWFPO

no its an 02, did some research on her sounds like it would have to have bigger injectors to run half way decent and a re tune would help a little more with going back and forth

You gotta get a hold of Vernon. He's been running his for awhile and loves it.

I did he told me to do a search on dieselplace.com he explained it, i dont know the cost of the marine injectors so its hard for me to say if its worth it or not plus it depends on the price of e85 at one point around me there wasnt much of a price difference im going to work on getting it tuned first and exhaust then go from there

I did he told me to do a search on dieselplace.com he explained it, i dont know the cost of the marine injectors so its hard for me to say if its worth it or not plus it depends on the price of e85 at one point around me there wasnt much of a price difference im going to work on getting it tuned first and exhaust then go from there

If you have to spend more than a couple dollars, its not worth it. The price vs mileage difference is hardly worth it. IMO.

I also cant believe injectors alone will make the truck run right. You will have to get a tune too.

Just get a tune and love the power it gives you. Plus, if you don't hammer on it afterwards, it should get better mileage.

my 7.4L vortec in my 99 hates E85 it runs like garbage. I had to add 2 octane boosters to it to get it to run half way decent. I was up in Iowa and got stuck with E85 as they had nothing else.

You must mean that you filled up with E10. It is up 10% ethanol. E85 is up to 85% ethanol, only available at some of the stations here in Iowa and by no means the only fuel around.

• 1 year later...

Archived