How-To: GMT900 Pickup Backup Camera Installation.

Trav_13

2007-2013 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Fullsize Pickup Truck Backup Camera Installation Write Up.

You assume sole responsibility for your installation, or any problems you may have. Please be aware that you are working with Electrical Components, so make sure you are comfortable working on such systems, and if you are not please consult a professional.**

This is a photo of a Chevy Silverado LTZ Truck without the Rear Camera, the goal is to Install a OEM Style Backup Camera.

You can see the OEM Configuration of this 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Truck without the Camera Kit.

1. DSC04956_zps3b7dd86a.jpg

Drop the Tailgate and Unbolt the Lower Center Bolt (13mm Socket), this bolt is responsible for holding on the Tailgate Bezel.

DSC04958_zpsa7424b4c.jpg

Remove the Tailgate from the Truck and place it on a set of Secure Sawhorses or Table.

DSC04959_zps7945c926.jpg

As illustrated lay a towel near your tailgate handle, and use a small trim tool to pop the tailgate bezel loose (it has 3 clips which hold it in place). Becareful not to apply to much pressure to avoid denting the gate or damaging the finish.

DSC04960_zps14c3d4bc.jpg

Drill a Hole as Illustrated in the Bottom Center of the Tailgate. A step bit works very well for this.

DSC04963_zpse1e63d9b.jpg

Once your hole is drilled you can then feed the Camera Wires through.

• I’d fish a long wire up thru the hole you drilled and with a little bit of maneuvering this wire should come out in the opening where the tailgate handle is located.
  • At this point I’d take the end of the Tailgate Camera Harness and attach it to your wire securely and then bring the wire back down thru the bottom of the tailgate, letting it hang out the bottom.

DSC04964_zps516b6848.jpg

Push the Tailgate Handle Bezel Securely Back into Place on the Tailgate and reattach the Bezel by reinstalling the 13mm bolt that you removed in Step 2.

• If you have a Tailgate Lock, you need to move this over to the New Tailgate Bezel with the Camera.
  • Please note that on this truck I did add the Tailgate Lock Kit, it is NOT INCLUDED with the Camera Kit. The camera kit does come with a plug for the hole though if your truck doesn’t have the Locking Tailgate and Do Not Desire to add it.

DSC04965_zpscdd30944.jpg

You may need to drill a hole in the bottom edge of your bed (most 2009 and up trucks have this hole already provided from the factory) I drilled this hole in the dead center of the bed and a bit higher that way it wouldn’t show when the tailgate is reinstalled.

DSC04967_zps4a11521e.jpg

Reinstall the Tailgate and Feed the Wires through the drilled or provided holes.

DSC04969_zps01c3d362.jpg

At this point you are about 1/2 way through the project. If your license plate is still installed you will want to remove it at this time, as this is where your Chassis Harness and Tailgate Harness Connect.

Please view some of the attached photo’s and you can see that there is a connector that will allow you the flexibility of removing the camera and tailgate if you ever need to. This connector shows you the proper way to install the ends together, as there are two arrows, one on each plug end, please match those up and securely connect it together.

DSC04972_zps7c6f03c2.jpg

Next is routing the wiring up to where it will enter the cab. The harness is used for several different lengths of trucks and you may find that you have a little excess if your truck is of a shorter configuration, you may lay the harness out next to your truck to determine the excess and tie it up at the back of the truck if you wish to do so that way you don’t have a bunch of extra wiring in the cab. I typically put the extra wire up above the spare tire near the trailer wiring. I also route this harness along with the Chassis Harness that is on the truck from the factory to give everything a clean and professional look. (Please See Photos)

DSC04971_zpse5360cae.jpg

DSC04973_zps1699d38f.jpg

DSC04974_zps224c5f84.jpg

DSC04975_zpsee0fe802.jpg

You will now want to enter the cab, as you can see in the photos I run the wire up through the transmission shift boot. I have found this the easiest point of access, but please be sure to make sure to apply plenty of RTV Silicone once you have came through this gromment to prevent any water entering your cab after the install.

DSC04977_zps1fad6b81.jpg

DSC04979_zps6f541a5d.jpg

Run the wire up to the Electrical Center.

• For your Red Wire connect it to an Accessory Power Supply of your choice that is suitable for your particular vehicle.
  • For your Black Wire you can ground it on a Stud that holds the Electrical Center in Place (See Photo)

DSC04978_zps24a83681.jpg

Take the RCA Plug and Connect it to the appropriate connector.

• This truck actually had the Factory Navigation, and after having the OEM Radio Programmed to recognize the Camera we simply plugged it into the back of the factory radio with the supplied harness.

DSC04980_zpsda6e785b.jpg

• Some Trucks have an aftermarket radio with an RCA Provided for your Camera, please consult with your aftermarket radio installation guide for instructions on how to make your connection
  • Some 2009 and Up Trucks will utilize the OnStar Auto Dimming Camera Mirror for this Installation. This installation requires only about 2 more steps if your truck is properly equipped (Please consult with me on this)
    • Replace the OEM Mirror with the OnStar Auto Dimming Camera Mirror
    • Plug in the Provided Connector the Dash Harness, and begin enjoying your Back Up Camera

DSC00483-1_zpsa6e17d3a.jpg

Moderators, would you be willing to pin this write up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great post! The idea of doing this probably seems hard to a lot of people. In reality a person could easily do it in 30-60min.

Yes, this project is actually alot simplier than it seems. I enjoy installing them as they are not that difficult and my customers love them!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I installed a rearview mirror camera setup on my 2013 silverado but I have a problem with it. I works perfect during the day but at night the camera won't shut off no matter what gear it is in. I have a feeling it has something to do with the auto dim or ambient light sensor but I don't have a wiring diagram to figure it out. I purchasrd the unit from CubbyCam and I have to say I'm pretty dissapointed in the fact they won't return my calls. They took my order quick and sent it out right away but now that I have an issue they don't call back. Any suggestions you may have wiring wise would be appreciated.

I got it worked out. I went over my wiring a 4th time and had to switch 1 of them to a different terminal and now all is good. I messed up on my initial wiring but oddly enough it worked perfectly during the daylignt hours. Once it was dark the ambient light sensor kept the camera on at all times. Interesting to note 2 terminals worked when it was light out. Cubbycam finally called back at least. The owner was out for a couple of days.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in adding a backup camera to my 2013 Silverado and found your article from your May 5th post. It looks like just what I was looking for! I have a couple (or more:) questions if you could help. I don't have nav & would like to use the rear view mirror as the monitor. How can I tell if mine will work or is the correct type? Also, what company or site do you buy the camera & misc. from? Any help will be appreciated. Your article & photos were great. Thanks

I purchased mine from Cubbycam. I don't have nav either. It came with a replacement review mirror that also has onstar. Once I corrected my wiring problem everything works the same as a factory setup including onstar. It was a nice addition to the truck.

oruna 1, thanks for your response. I checked with "Cubbycam" on their site and it looks like quality equipment at a reasonable price. Installing the camera and running the wiring up to the cab seems fine, but how complicated are the wiring connections? How can I check to see if my rear view mirror (I have the On Star and is auto dimming mirror) has the monitor? If I need to replace it, how complicated is the and will I need to change (or add) a new wiring harness? Thanks

As far as I know you will have to change your mirror. Call Cubbycam and he will go over it with you. The wiring isn't too complicated. The worst part is getting the wire through the firewall. I put it through an existing grommet by cutting a slit in it and pulling the wire through and sealing the slit around the wire with silicone. Also the instructions have an error because on my 2013 the wires for the camera are missing and the cubbycam kit came with new wires. AIt shows removing the clip for the sun visor by taking out a screw. Mine has no screw so I just pushed the wire under the headliner from the fron and it worked out ok.

I just finished the installation of a back up camera in my 2013 Sierra SLE extended cab. I used this thread as a reference, and I was glad I did. The installation went very smoothly, with the exception of a defective Pyle camera, which I had to buy a second to finish the project. I used a brand new OEM autodim Gentex 657 OnStar rearview mirror monitor, and a OEM tailgate bezel. The rest of the system was sourced aftermarket. The adapter that connects to connector X208 was purchased on E-Bay, as were the Pyle PLCM37FRV cameras. It works well, even in the dark. I'm very pleased with it. I have just over $200 invested including the cost of two camera, and the new GM mirror.

• 1 month later...

Great post... I have one question.

I have a 2013 LT Crew w/o the factory camera. I have my own CCD camera that I'm going to mount that has better resolution than the factory unit. My question is: doesn't the existing harness already have wiring installed for the camera? When I look at the GM wiring diagrams I see two wires in the harness labeled for the camera feed. I'm hoping I can locate these wires and avoid having to pull a video cable upfront. The same goes for power taps for reverse. I see a camera relay to power the camera when reverse is selected. My gate and frame are already pre-drilled for the camera wiring, so I'm hoping I can locate and tap into existing wiring to avoid having to pull additional cabling?

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I just finished the installation of a back up camera in my 2013 Sierra SLE extended cab. I used this thread as a reference, and I was glad I did. The installation went very smoothly, with the exception of a defective Pyle camera, which I had to buy a second to finish the project. I used a brand new OEM autodim Gentex 657 OnStar rearview mirror monitor, and a OEM tailgate bezel. The rest of the system was sourced aftermarket. The adapter that connects to connector X208 was purchased on E-Bay, as were the Pyle PLCM37FRV cameras. It works well, even in the dark. I'm very pleased with it. I have just over $200 invested including the cost of two camera, and the new GM mirror.

Where did you get your parts? This sounds like a very cost effective route to add this feature.

sent to you by me