2017 Gas 2500 Changes

Watching those videos made me glad I ordered a 2016 Silverado 3500 Dually Crew Cab 4x4 High Country with the proven 6.0 gasser. My 08 3500 Dually Duramax has been the best truck I ever owned, hope my 2016 gasser will be as good. I used to tow heavy, now I haul heavy and I needed the extra 760 pounds of payload that I get with the 6.0. I would never have ordered a new unproven engine. Been there done that with 2004 Ford 6.0 PSD.

I have to thank that motor for making me go to a Silverado Duramax and I am sticking with GM from now on.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6.0 is proven..to be basically gutless.

An update is needed.

I love power! I will take shitty mileage and a underpowered truck over a direct injection motor, long live the 6.0!

I am all for DI motors and the power they bring but as of now no one knows how to keep the motor clean without washing the fuel down the motor.

A couple of years ago, I would have said that an aluminum block engine will never happen in an HD.

I'm not so sure now. With GM changing to an all aluminum body like Ford in order to save weight, we may see an aluminum alloy block. Everything down the road points to fuel mileage and saving weight.

Why not a derivative of the 6.2?. The engine is in production, and makes more power, weighs less and better on fuel.

I think they should bring back the venerable 8.1L/Allison 1000 combo. With modern tech, that combo could be a serious competitor in the HD's.

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Wouldn't matter, RAM goes into limp mode and flat shuts down to avoid damage.

I would like to see this test run again too, but at lower altitude and with the same payload and tow weight on both trucks.

They ran it twice, but it wasnt clear that the weights were the same, I think the Ram had much more during the first test.

Im not sure what the point is to run a test at an elevation that 99.9% of us will never drive, especially for n/a engines.

The 6.4 is a beast in the Challenger with a huge torque band, I wonder where the Achilles heel is with the 6.4 HD that they are protecting for...

I think they should bring back the venerable 8.1L/Allison 1000 combo. With modern tech, that combo could be a serious competitor in the HD's.

It'd cost way too much to make a gen V big-block. They already have the 6.2 from the Corvette which works great.

I could see a slightly de-tuned, cheaper, iron version of the 6.2 in the trucks though.

One way to accomplish strong block with lighter weight is compacted graphite block. Many larger diesels have gone over to this method. Easily as strong as traditional cast iron blocks, with significantly lower weight. Now whether GM has the brainwave activity to think in these terms remains to be seen.

One way to accomplish strong block with lighter weight is compacted graphite block. Many larger diesels have gone over to this method. Easily as strong as traditional cast iron blocks, with significantly lower weight. Now whether GM has the brainwave activity to think in these terms remains to be seen.

The 5.0 Cummins is a perfect example as it is stupid light and much stronger then traditional blocks.

Archived