2017 Gas 2500 Changes

I agree. Same deal with the old TBI 350. Their MPG was about the same as my 5.3 now, but they had about 100hp less, haha.

A Vortec 454 has a ton more torque and will lug all day, I am sure if we pulled dyno sheets we would see the 454 makes much more torque at half the rpm.

I am a huge fan of the 6.0 but big block torque rules!

I am scared of reliability of any new motor but will welcome the added power!

I can't stand the thought of waiting till the State Fair of Texas to hear of updates!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly! That's why the 6.2 is returning such good MPG in the 1500's...it doesn't have to work hard at all!

But the 6.2L in the 1500 is moving over 1000 lb less truck with a less heavy duty undercarriage and drive train compared to the 2500. We really don't know at this point how it would compare if it was doing daily work moving something like a 2500 CC Z71 around. It might do a little better than the present 6.0L, but I am not convinced that it be significant enough to justify the premium fuel cost and added initial cost for the motor itself. And if it was detuned in such a way to make it a 87 octane recommended motor, would it deliver power and fuel economy it does now? We have no way of knowing. I would bet GM R&D knows, and that is why they haven't replaced the 6.0L in the HD line yet.

And the so-called "good" mpg that the 6.2L is delivering is really kind of "slight of hand" card tricks. It does it on premium fuel, which in my area is $2.34 a gallon compared to $1.79 for regular. So a 55 cent a gallon spread. If a 6.0L is getting 14 mpg on regular, like mine has a lifetime average of, a 6.2 in the same pickup would have to get 18 mpg minimum all the time in the same 2500HD to just break even on fuel cost per mile. Yeah, right. I don't see any way a 6.2L in a 2500HD is going to get 18 mpg average for all miles.. in town, highway, off road, gravel road, mud, snow, etc.

But business people think along these lines, and crunch these kinds of numbers. And 3/4 of the HD pickup market is commercial users. I am sure GM has crunched similar numbers and have thus far left the 6.0L alone in the HD lineup. It could change, but it better bring a net positive change in both reliability and cost effectiveness, or it won't be worth it and could negatively affect GM's truck sales in the commercial market, which is their bread and butter for the HD lineup.

A Vortec 454 has a ton more torque and will lug all day, I am sure if we pulled dyno sheets we would see the 454 makes much more torque at half the rpm.

I am a huge fan of the 6.0 but big block torque rules!

I am scared of reliability of any new motor but will welcome the added power!

I can't stand the thought of waiting till the State Fair of Texas to hear of updates!

Yep, the Vortec 454 made 410 ft/lbs of torque at 3200 rpm. The newer engines are too high strung. I really think the 7.0 would be the best candidate for the HD trucks because it would have gobs of torque if it was set up right.

Is that the latest timeline? Waiting until the State Fair of Texas? Isn't that in September or something? :banghead:

But the 6.2L in the 1500 is moving over 1000 lb less truck with a less heavy duty undercarriage and drive train compared to the 2500. We really don't know at this point how it would compare if it was doing daily work moving something like a 2500 CC Z71 around. It might do a little better than the present 6.0L, but I am not convinced that it be significant enough to justify the premium fuel cost and added initial cost for the motor itself. And if it was detuned in such a way to make it a 87 octane recommended motor, would it deliver power and fuel economy it does now? We have no way of knowing. I would bet GM R&D knows, and that is why they haven't replaced the 6.0L in the HD line yet.

And the so-called "good" mpg that the 6.2L is delivering is really kind of "slight of hand" card tricks. It does it on premium fuel, which in my area is $2.34 a gallon compared to $1.79 for regular. So a 55 cent a gallon spread. If a 6.0L is getting 14 mpg on regular, like mine has a lifetime average of, a 6.2 in the same pickup would have to get 18 mpg minimum all the time in the same 2500HD to just break even on fuel cost per mile. Yeah, right. I don't see any way a 6.2L in a 2500HD is going to get 18 mpg average for all miles.. in town, highway, off road, gravel road, mud, snow, etc.

But business people think along these lines, and crunch these kinds of numbers. And 3/4 of the HD pickup market is commercial users. I am sure GM has crunched similar numbers and have thus far left the 6.0L alone in the HD lineup. It could change, but it better bring a net positive change in both reliability and cost effectiveness, or it won't be worth it and could negatively affect GM's truck sales in the commercial market, which is their bread and butter for the HD lineup.

Yes, I agree. I was just saying that the 6.2 doesn't have to work very hard to pull a 1500 truck around, so the MPG is pretty good. I wasn't necessarily saying that it would have the same outcome in an HD.

Those are good points about the current 6.2 in the 1500's. However, I wouldn't think that GM would make the HD's run on premium gas. Like you said, the commercial market is big for the HD's, and companies won't want entire fleets of trucks running on premium gas. Surely they'd be smart enough to know that. I'm curious about how a "truck" version of the 6.2 would fare. Maybe it would't be much of an upgrade over the 6.0 as far as MPG goes. Hard to say for sure. Would be nice if it was over 400 hp and 425 tq though...even if the MPG wasn't much better than the 6.0.

The 6.2 in the 1500's will never find its way into the HD's, its not HD spec, period.

Also remember that the 6.2 in the 1500's has the 8 speed now, big advantage for MPG's.

Bring back the 8.1, modernize it in front of a good 6 or 8 speed HD trans, 425hp/500tq would be perfect...

I think the Allison was just too much trans for the old gen 8.1, its meant to handle diesel level torque so it really eats the power...

You know GM has punched the LS motor out to 454ci, I want to shoot for a LS based 454ci direct injection and VVT motor, hold the DOD please...

Mmmmmmm

GoA5dts.gif?noredirect

Lmao glad I am not the only one that feels this way...

New to the forum.... so glad I stumbled upon it today!

Going to buy a new Silverado 2500 after I see what is introduced for 2017 after the State Fair of Texas. I will be absolutely fine with the 6.0 gasser, but hell... if that beautiful LSX-454 were to be introduced... I'd wait until next year!!! DANG....that is just sweet.

Ram has MDS (their version of AFM) on the 6.4 in the HD trucks so I wouldn't be surprised to see GM throw it in the HD trucks, especially with the CAFE regulations coming into play for trucks over 8500 GVWR.

Archived