2017 Gas 2500 Changes

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love to see a new gas big block option for the HD line. Updated 8.1 would be awesome but i doubt it"ll ever happen with all the new overreaching regulations. Such a shame too. I was all set to trade my 15 half ton in for a 2500HD 6.0. But after driving it several times, it just felt too under powered for the extra added weight. It almost felt like it had way too much torque management holding it back. Maybe a tune would wake up the beast within,but I dont know. Decided to just hold off and wait to see what gas engines are offered in the future.

How so?

Its on the Ford 2017 SD website.

Remember the power bump they yanked out of their @SS when GM showed the numbers for the LML? Ford was 390hp 735 torque, GM was 397hp 765 torque and then they had an ECU update like a month or two after GM showed their numbers to bump it to 400hp 800 torque. They will probably pull the same thing again when GM shows their hand.

Well, the additional 6.2 plant capacity could be for bringing over to HD's. But it will have to be neutered to accept daily fills of regular fuel or GM will loose a lot of commercial business. And since about 3/4 of the HD pickups are bought for commercial use, that can hurt them pretty bad.. It will even affect their sales of 1500's that are bought by commercial users. My guess is the additional plant capacity will be more targeted to performance cars and broader 1500 offerings.

Do you have a link that shows the HD pickups are 75% commercial use? I have always wondered about what that number is.

From what I have been able to find GM's target is 20% and for June they were under that sitting at 18% for fleet/commercial.

According to an article I read GM's total commercial sales for all vehicles for 2015 was 213,358 vehicles total across all lines.

I know from the many times I have driven by the Flint plant, the commerical truck section of the out-lot is a small fraction of what is sitting waiting for shipment.

No, can't find you a link. I travel 11 states regularly as a commercial driver and have taken my own unscientific surveys by observation. 3 out of 4 HD pickups observed by me are gas over diesel, and virtually the same percentage applies to commercial vs private use. Many folks don't notice as they are looking for a traditional looking pickup. A large portion of HD's have upfitter bodies that are used commercially.

No, can't find you a link. I travel 11 states regularly as a commercial driver and have taken my own unscientific surveys by observation. 3 out of 4 HD pickups observed by me are gas over diesel, and virtually the same percentage applies to commercial vs private use. Many folks don't notice as they are looking for a traditional looking pickup. A large portion of HD's have upfitter bodies that are used commercially.

I very, very seldom see a privately owned HD truck in gas, and I very, very seldom see a HD truck in commercial guise (even for small businesses, let alone large corporate fleets) with a diesel.

This is perhaps not surprising when searching HD truck inventory- the vast majority of gas-engined HD trucks are outfitted in WT trim, which almost nobody buys for personal use.

Before I ordered a truck, I checked inventory of over 1,000 trucks in multiple states and couldn't find a gas-engine 3500HD (or even 2500HD) in a configuration even remotely similar to what I wanted. There were hundreds of diesels that matched.

That said, there are areas of the country that seem to have a higher proportion of gas HD trucks with LT or better trim levels, but not within at least 1,000 miles of me.

In my part of the woods, private and commercial gasser HD's are everywhere in various trims, with LT being the most common. The grain elevator / ag supply fleets have stacks of HD gassers with an occasional diesel here and there. Most of the railroad, electric cooperative, etc HD's in my area are gassers also. With the emissions stuff and inflated pricing, diesel just isn't in as big demand. Mostly just the RV and horse hauler crowd that buys most of the Dmax HD's. Of the farm neighbors around me, only 1 still has a diesel and is a 2005 Ford 350 SRW

I did find a Truck Trend article from 2014 that stated more than 60% of HD pickup sales were Diesel back then.

Actual published production numbers are hard to find.

I have been noticing more gassers in the higher trims (LTZ/Denali) in the last year or so, which would lead me to believe diesel demand is probably shrinking.

Diesel is dead around here.

Most HD trucks are stocked in gasoline.

I suspect that as time goes on, diesel will lose all popularity with the DD segment, and the commercial market. With gas engines performing well into very high mileage, I would guess diesel would only remain popular with the commercial towing market.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze for the DD like it was when you could tune an easy 1,000 lbs and 20+ MPG.

The cost of the option, the fuel, the complexity of emissions equipment, along with lower ROI of the diesel option has long time diesel owners like me switching back to gasoline for good.

It took a 3 week search to find the options I wanted in a gasser. Thankfully my borther works at a dealer in MO and was able to find one in OK. I still had to compromise on two items but the important things were there. We found 30 diesels for every one gasser in the loaded up LTZs. Seems like dealers up here are now finally starting to stock more high end gas trucks. I wanted gas and I am happy with it.

-Eli

It took a 3 week search to find the options I wanted in a gasser. Thankfully my borther works at a dealer in MO and was able to find one in OK. I still had to compromise on two items but the important things were there. We found 30 diesels for every one gasser in the loaded up LTZs. Seems like dealers up here are now finally starting to stock more high end gas trucks. I wanted gas and I am happy with it.

-Eli

What were the compromises?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do like I did... I got $9K knocked off the price on my 2015 2500 6.0L when I bought it in late Feb 2015 and the dealer thru in a Line-X bed liner job for free. Wife wanted a sun roof. I have never been fond of them. Mine doesn't have one. She has the sun roof she wants in the 2006 Cadillac.

• 3 weeks later...

Order guide has been opened up for 2017 HD's.

Gas engine:

L96 Engine, Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI, E85-compatible, FlexFuel, capable of running on unleaded or up to 85% ethanol (360 hp [268.4 kW] @ 5400 rpm, 380 lb-ft of torque [515.0 N-m] @ 4200 rpm)

Duramax:

L5P NEW! Engine, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8, B20-Diesel compatible
Base- Requires (MW7) Allison 1000 6-speed automatic transmission, capped fuel fill and (GT4) 3.73 rear axle ratio. Includes (K40) exhaust brake and (K05) engine block heater.
SLE - Requires (MW7) Allison 1000 6-speed automatic transmission, capped fuel fill and (GT4) 3.73 rear axle ratio on Double Cabs. Includes (K40) exhaust brake and (K05) engine block heater.
SLT - On Crew Cab models included and only available with (PCH) Duramax Plus Package. Includes (K40) exhaust brake, capped fuel fill and (K05) engine block heater. Requires (VXH) 6" rectangular chrome tubular assist steps, LPO or (R8M) VXH 6" chrome tubular rectangular assist step delete .

The 4:10 can only HELP city mileage.

It's not the rear end, it's the engine which isn't designed for mileage.

Personally, we have the 6.2 8 speed in our Denali, and it would make a nice engine for the trucks.

Question is if GM would put an aluminum block engine in a HD.

Do away with the cylinder cut off, and I think it would be perfect.

They would design a hd version like Dodge did with the 6.4. Im going to watch this like a hawk, getting hd gasser next time.

Archived