2017 Gas 2500 Changes

I've been waiting for GM to make a move on the 6.0 to either bump it's output or use a new engine altogether. I did have a 2014 6.4 Ram and even though it's a powerhouse on the go the diesel-like transmission gearing handicapped it like others have pointed out in this thread. This is why the 6.0 handles a 6.4 Ram. I'd have no issue buying a 6.0 truck now but it seems likely that a new gas version will arrive after the Duramax gets it's debut. I'm waiting for a substantial rumor or information but if it doesn't happen for the 2018 model year I'll probably jump ship for the 6.2 Ford. Ford's previous version of the 6.2 worked well in the SD and the bump they gave it for 2017 sounds like they've hit the spot for guys like me who can live without diesel power and the hassles that go along with it.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been waiting for GM to make a move on the 6.0 to either bump it's output or use a new engine altogether. I did have a 2014 6.4 Ram and even though it's a powerhouse on the go the diesel-like transmission gearing handicapped it like others have pointed out in this thread. This is why the 6.0 handles a 6.4 Ram. I'd have no issue buying a 6.0 truck now but it seems likely that a new gas version will arrive after the Duramax gets it's debut. I'm waiting for a substantial rumor or information but if it doesn't happen for the 2018 model year I'll probably jump ship for the 6.2 Ford. Ford's previous version of the 6.2 worked well in the SD and the bump they gave it for 2017 sounds like they've hit the spot for guys like me who can live without diesel power and the hassles that go along with it.

2016–Present Ford F-Series Super Duty, 385 hp (287 kW) @ 5750 rpm, 430 lb·ft (583 N·m) @ 3800 rpm[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

Boss is the internal name for a family of large displacement V8 engines from Ford Motor Company intended to compete with Chrysler Hemi engines and General Motors' 6.2 L Vortec engines.

• 1 month later...

They have about two more years before I make my move...I like the platform, but the 6.0l is not enough grunt for me. So I'm watching this thread as well...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I am sticking to my story in post #106, so if I am right you should be covered.

I will just watch and see what happens and keep my 2015 6.0L. Great overall pickup. A real keeper. Does all I need it to do and still asks for more.

I will just watch and see what happens and keep my 2015 6.0L. Great overall pickup. A real keeper. Does all I need it to do and still asks for more.

Funny, when I was out west this summer pulling my 34' TT through the mountains, I swear the truck looked at me every day and asked if that is all we were gonna do that day...

Yep, the gas mileage isn't great. Yep, the RPMs scream sometimes and it gets a little loud. But they seem to like being almost "beat" on every day and mine is fun to drive.

Funny, when I was out west this summer pulling my 34' TT through the mountains, I swear the truck looked at me every day and asked if that is all we were gonna do that day...

Yep, the gas mileage isn't great. Yep, the RPMs scream sometimes and it gets a little loud. But they seem to like being almost "beat" on every day and mine is fun to drive.

Now that would wear me out, i don't want to have to hold the pedal to the mat every time i tow, and say "yep it does the job".

With 900+ lb/ft in the L5P they need to bring the gasser option up higher than 380 lb/ft.

If you don't tow much but when you do need more capability than a 1500 then the 6.0 is probably a good choice. If you tow frequently and longer distances the Dmax is the only way to go IMO. The 6.0 will handle it but I'd have to agree with hockeylover, they do wear on you...Foot to the floor and high revs does weigh on the driver over a longer trip. On the flip side the Dmax will cruise along at a low rpm with almost no high revs making for a pleasant less stressful drive. The only other downside to the 6.0 is you don't get an Allison tranny..

And that is the key. It all depends on how often, how much, where you do it, etc as to what is the best setup to buy. Actually, nothing about a 6.0L revving at high RPM's wears on me. After doing 2500-3000 miles a week in a commercial truck, everything about my pickup is relaxing. Empty or maxed out, I am pleasantly comfortable in my 2500. Darn near like riding in a high end Cadillac. Only advantage my commercial truck has is leg room and I can literally stand up behind the wheel and stretch my legs. In my pickup, even though it is comfortable, I feel sometimes like I am strapped in like a NASCAR racer in comparison.

I decided to grab a white/black 2016 2500 Denali 6.0 today. The discounts were too much to resist. It met my requirements with the Z71 package (hill decent control feature the main thing) and a 5th wheel/gooseneck provision. Other extras were the driver alert, sunroof, high idle switch, color matched wheel flares and of course a block heater (it's Canada after all).

This is my third 6.0. We all know it's bulletproof. I'd prefer a diesel in everything I drive but with frequent starting/stopping and, quite often, many hours per day of idling in warm and cold weather it's just a no brainer to stick with an 87 octane 6.0. I'm empty 75% of the time but can be loaded up to 10,000#'s the rest of the time. It needs 2500 rpm with 10K#'s on it and needs revs to force it accelerate but it'll do it all day long. Of course Duramax does it much better but the 6.0 will do what I need it to and do it with minimal maintenance and zero worry of how many short trips or extended idle times I do with it.

I hope GM offers a higher powered gas option in the next couple years, though.

I decided to grab a white/black 2016 2500 Denali 6.0 today. The discounts were too much to resist. It met my requirements with the Z71 package (hill decent control feature the main thing) and a 5th wheel/gooseneck provision. Other extras were the driver alert, sunroof, high idle switch, color matched wheel flares and of course a block heater (it's Canada after all).

This is my third 6.0. We all know it's bulletproof. I'd prefer a diesel in everything I drive but with frequent starting/stopping and, quite often, many hours per day of idling in warm and cold weather it's just a no brainer to stick with an 87 octane 6.0. I'm empty 75% of the time but can be loaded up to 10,000#'s the rest of the time. It needs 2500 rpm with 10K#'s on it and needs revs to force it accelerate but it'll do it all day long. Of course Duramax does it much better but the 6.0 will do what I need it to and do it with minimal maintenance and zero worry of how many short trips or extended idle times I do with it.

I hope GM offers a higher powered gas option in the next couple years, though.

You got a high idle switch with the gas??? [emoji15]

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

You got a high idle switch with the gas??? [emoji15]

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Much more to a high idle switch than just keeping a diesel warm. If you're running accessories or using extra battery power in any way it's good to have.

Archived