UPR Catch Can Plug N Play with CSS Installed

I'd say 10, maybe 20 minutes. 20 because I went inside and got my Ipad for instructions. Very very easy to do.

very nice looking setup with the black catch can.how long did it take for the complete install?

Just a quick Update for everyone as I have been getting a lot of questions about this.

Question - What happens to my UPR catch can when I get a different air intake or add a Supercharger?

Answer - We offer our braided line by the foot and male and female UPR Plug n Play™ Fittings.

This will allow you to just update the connections and maintain the OEM UPR Plug n Play™

catch can system with all the very best components.

I am always working to improve our catch can systems.

No cheap rubber hose or unsightly clamps here.

Joe

• Like 1

Just wanted to add this for the guys with the 6.2L trucks that have any installation questions or hose routing questions. We have everything you need to be able to

upgrade the UPR Catch Can Systems to fit with all aftermarket intakes and maintain the best possible OEM look from fit to finish.

This goes for all 5.3L and 6.2L applications. For any custom applications or special pricing feel free to email me at catchcanstore at gmail

Thank you, Joe

UPR%2062%20GM%20Truck%20Catch%20Can%20Ho

This site, and the members here are awesome, I guess I'm going to order a can as well. But I must admit I am VERY pissed off that I pay 50k for a truck with all the bells and whistles that I have always wanted and have to do this mod to not destroy my engine. Then have to buy something to shut down my AFM... It seems this world sucks! No morals by GM and it is ashame we can't get together and sue them, one nice class action suit.

On top of that I read here and other GM truck site how on certain thing GM tries to screw us out of our warranty if we do a mod to fix their screw ups.

I'm sorry but just sickening!!

This site, and the members here are awesome, I guess I'm going to order a can as well. But I must admit I am VERY pissed off that I pay 50k for a truck with all the bells and whistles that I have always wanted and have to do this mod to not destroy my engine. Then have to buy something to shut down my AFM... It seems this world sucks! No morals by GM and it is ashame we can't get together and sue them, one nice class action suit.

On top of that I read here and other GM truck site how on certain thing GM tries to screw us out of our warranty if we do a mod to fix their screw ups.

I'm sorry but just sickening!!

I don't think not having one is going to destroy your engine but it may require the valves to be cleaned more often. The reason they don't put catch cans on them from the factory is likely because Joe idiot will forget to empty it as required. Failing to empty it will eventually result in the gunk the can catches being sucked into the engine in large quantities all at once. I'm a lawyer not a mechanic or engineer so my understanding could be wrong.

How many warranty claims is GM going to have when Joe Idiot actually destroys his engine by failing to empty the can? These engines will likely last past 100,000 miles without a can. GM is probably saving money by not having them.

A manufacturer can refuse to warranty a modified product depending on the circumstances. A manufacturer agrees to warranty the product based upon its design and intended use as it leaves the factory. They do not have to warranty the product as modified by you because they did not agree to do that. Now that's a very simple way of looking at it. The law as well as the need for good customer relations on the manufacturer's part is far more complicated.

A catch can probably isn't going to void your warranty. However if it in some way causes damage then GM may not be obligated to repair that damage. These types of issues are largely controlled by state law and state court decisions regarding those laws. What may relieve a manufacturer of an obligation to warranty the product in one state may not do so in another state.

But remember this, often it may be cheaper for the manufacturer to simply warranty the vehicle even when it doesn't have to instead of paying some lawyer $250 or more per hour to potentially litigate the issue. Certain state consumer protection laws may allow for the recovery of legal fees by a successful plaintiff. It's often just cheaper and less risky for them to fix your vehicle instead of fighting you about it unless the manufacturer is almost certain to win in court. GM has probably fixed countless vehicles when it didn't have to simply to avoid litigation costs and bad press.

I don't think not having one is going to destroy your engine but it may require the valves to be cleaned more often. The reason they don't put catch cans on them from the factory is likely because Joe idiot will forget to empty it as required. Failing to empty it will eventually result in the gunk the can catches being sucked into the engine in large quantities all at once. I'm a lawyer not a mechanic or engineer so my understanding could be wrong.

How many warranty claims is GM going to have when Joe Idiot actually destroys his engine by failing to empty the can? These engines will likely last past 100,000 miles without a can. GM is probably saving money by not having them.

A manufacturer can refuse to warranty a modified product depending on the circumstances. A manufacturer agrees to warranty the product based upon its design and intended use as it leaves the factory. They do not have to warranty the product as modified by you because they did not agree to do that. Now that's a very simple way of looking at it. The law as well as the need for good customer relations on the manufacturer's part is far more complicated.

A catch can probably isn't going to void your warranty. However if it in some way causes damage then GM may not be obligated to repair that damage. These types of issues are largely controlled by state law and state court decisions regarding those laws. What may relieve a manufacturer of an obligation to warranty the product in one state may not do so in another state.

But remember this, often it may be cheaper for the manufacturer to simply warranty the vehicle even when it doesn't have to instead of paying some lawyer $250 or more per hour to potentially litigate the issue. Certain state consumer protection laws may allow for the recovery of legal fees by a successful plaintiff. It's often just cheaper and less risky for them to fix your vehicle instead of fighting you about it unless the manufacturer is almost certain to win in court. GM has probably fixed countless vehicles when it didn't have to simply to avoid litigation costs and bad press.

Knowledge is POWER.

Just to clear things up about having or not having a catch can.

Not running a catch can reduce overall MPG and crispness. It can result in the efficiency of the combustion chamber being compromised by the ingestion of oil ingestion via crankcase lubricants. The primary reason PCV systems are so evolved today is the continuous pursuit of improved MPG and additional ring seal. Stronger crankcase evacuation doesn't come without a price.

Will your engine fail without a catch can if you properly maintain it and keep everything fresh? NO, it will not. But, you won't see the full potential that your engine can and will deliver each and every day when oil begins to pull through the intake tract and continually build up in the combustion chamber and valves.

By adding the proper catch can system for the needed extra protection against the oil ingestion that stronger PCV systems create, you now have the very best system available for longevity and extended engine life. The OEM's do not add catch cans because they create extra maintenance that people do not want to have to deal with and, of course, add extra cost. If the average owner could get away without having to change the oil, or drain a catch can, to maintain performance, you can bet they would leave it be.

As for catch cans over-filling and what happens when they are not emptied... The truth is when a catch can fills up all that happens is it sips a minimal amount of oil in a very controlled fashion and it is no longer in volatile vapor form. It does not ingest large amounts or oil in one shot nor does it lock up the system. You might get some light smoke out the exhaust from the more concentrated oil getting sucked into your intake tract and that's it. We have tested and seen literally hundreds of people that allow catch can to overfill and report back to us.

Manufacturers would lose money if the vehicles lasted twice as long as advertised (planned obsolescence) due to greatly increased engine life and the resulting drop in visits to the dealer service departments - the main source of dealer revenue. I know it's very strange- like how manufacturers put expiration dates on many things that do not expire when they say, just to keep people from using them at a slower rate and thus not having to come back as frequently to buy more product or, in this case, new vehicles.

People always mention legal issues in a panic or what-if scenario. I have yet to see any real issues like this that do not get sorted out fairly unless we are not privy to all the details of what happened.

All in all, I always install protection or utilize anything that will increase the longevity of something I purchase in order to get the very best performance or results and to realize the fullest potential of my purchases. This may seem like an odd response but, being a fellow enthusiast since my early teen years, I have always thought this way. Like most people, I try to do whatever will deliver the best for the least and save money wherever I can.

Please understand, I am not looking to debate or trade witty criticisms. I'm only here to share my experiences that have helped me make smarter and more beneficial decisions so I can help others understand more about the use and function of a catch can system.

Knowledge is POWER.

Joe

Edited by joeupr
  • Like 1

Is the clean side supposed to fit really loose where the oil cap goes?

Also this doesn't appear the be the right part?

20170201_181822_zpsacy61x6q.jpg

All the ones on the upr site show two right angle connectors from the clean side to the air box.

I'm not sure I got the right parts. I also don't want to have to go back out and take it all off.

Edited by vranasaurus

OK I got it to fit by looking at pictures earlier in this thread. Which don't match the pictures in the instructions. The instructions even say to have the connector face forward.

But where the CSS goes in place of the oil cap it's still incredibly loose. It's like the o ring isn't quite big enough.

OK I got it to fit by looking at pictures earlier in this thread. Which don't match the pictures in the instructions. The instructions even say to have the connector face forward.

But where the CSS goes in place of the oil cap it's still incredibly loose. It's like the o ring isn't quite big enough.

Sounds like you got it. Look at the pics of mine to show you how the CSS is supposed to go. They changed the routing and haven't updated instructions/pictures yet. I had to call and ask about mine when I was installing.

The CSS does seem that way but it should be tight in the tube. On mine it seems to wobble around but it's actually just flex in the plastic tube. Hard to see with the plastic covers over the valve covers but if you look close the whole fill tube moves quite a bit which makes it seem the CSS is loose. No big deal, once connected the hose holds everything in place just fine.

I just got the PM this morning. Sorry for the late response.

There is a normal amount of rock with the 1.390" UPR Plug n Play™ filler neck fitting due to the valve cover design. I just want to be sure no one received the smaller

earlier GM unit see details below.

If you guys can take a quick measurement on the bottom of the UPR Plug n Play™ filler neck fitting and let me know what the size is to make sure you have the correct fitting.

The diameter should be 1.390" for the 14+ trucks. If you have the 1.320" that is for the earlier GM I will get it corrected right away.

Thank you, Joe

Edited by joeupr
  • Like 1