Recommended psi for my Suburban's tires?

They are at about 30 psi right now - this is my first time checking on them.

2004 Suburban LT, 8.1L engine.

Has 16" Stampede Radials on them.

It says on the sidewall the maximum psi with max load is 65 PSI.

Seems a bit high, but I was wondering if I should inflate it up that much?

It is about 50 degrees outside right now as well.

Thanks!

If the tires are the same size as OEM than use the PSI requirements on the drivers door sticker and adjust accordingly. Never go to the Max on th sidewall. Its the max the tire will safely handle.

The only problem that I can see here is if the original tires were "P" tires (as in P255-70R-16), and the replacement tires happen to be "LT"s. (as in LT255-70R-16).

In that case the "LT" tires should be inflated to a higher PSI, due to the fact that they will be something between a 6-10 ply tire. With a heavier load tire like that, inflating then to the specs of a "P" tire (somewhere between 30-35psi) won't be enough. :loser:

Part of the point that I was trying to make was missed.

There are different ratings for tires. P vs. LT. Then, within LT, there can be different load ratings. There can be Load Range "C" and Load Range "E". The "C" and "E" are different tires with different needs.

LT245/75R-16 tires can be either C's or E's.

It needs to be known what the Suburban came with originally... Load Range C's or E's.

Take a look at the spare (if it is the original one), to see if it is a Load Range "C" or "E", then look at what load range the Stampede tires are. If the Load Range matches between the spare and the Stampedes, then you're fine. Go with what it says on the sticker in the door frame. The sticker on the door frame may also specify if it is for "C" or "E". If things don't match up, then a little more investigation is needed.

Just because a tire store put some tires on it, it doesn't mean the correct ones are on there. There are times that they will install whatever that they have on hand, and not care what the load range it is. "Yep, it's a LT245/75R-16... put 'em on".

Just making a comparision based on "equal size" is not enough.

If the tire store puts a lower rated tire on than OEM and you have a blowout or accident they are at fault but that wont mean much if your dead.

Bottom line always have OEM or higher rated tire installed and check them your self.

Greywolf, if your Sub has the 8.1L, then it is a 2500 model, and these trucks came with LT tires in an E load rating. If your tires say max inflation is 65psi, then they are only load range D and are under rated for your truck.

The max inflation for an E rated tire is 80 psi. Your door jamb sticker will provide the recommended inflations for full load in the truck, your owner's manual will also provide alternative air pressures when driving empty or partially loaded.

Here's what it says in my owners manual:

air.jpg

One other factor that people are not also including is if you have changed the tire size. For example if your stock tire size was a LT 245/75/16 tire and you went to a load range D 265/75/16 tire, the bigger tire actually may have a higher load capacity than the LT tire. The difference will be in the construction of the tire(I think it is 8 ply vs 10 ply) and so on.

So to answer your question, here is what I did on my 2001 chevy 2500 Burban. The stock tires were LT 245/75/16 and I was told that if I was going to tow a heavy load inflate the rear tires to around 70-75psi, but when driving regularly keep them around 60-65psi. Then I went to a Load range D tire that was a 265/75/16 with a max of 65psi. And with this tire I inflated it to normally 50psi, and when towing heavy loads I inflated them to 60-65psi. I had these tires on for over two years and have had no issues with tire wear or tire failure, towing and regular driving. I sold my truck last Fall. Hopefully this helps.

Archived