Lt Tires For Towing?

wurgs

I tow a travel trailer thats well within the tow rating of my 09 Sierra but at about 7500lbs it can have a little sway when windy. Besides the better safety of the heavier duty tire, would LT 8 or 10 ply tires help with the sway? My factory Duelers seem pretty good but wonder if the cost of new tires would be worth it.

LT tires will make a difference. If however you don't have an anti-sway hitch setup such as a Reese dual cam or equalizer that should be your first purchase. If you do have one of these and still getting sway you should double check the setup.

Have the weight distributing hitch but no antisway bar. The camper is 26' long(just about 30 with hitch) and isn't bad except when the wind is blowing about 15mph or more directly from the side. I don't want to spend the money on a antisway system if LT tires are a better way to go, both for sway and safety when towing a heavier load.

With a trailer that length, you should have a sway bar anyways. The LT tires will help with the sway you feel in the truck, but if the trailer is swaying, you gonna feel it.

A swap bar can be added to your setup for under $150.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...y-control/12701

My experience using that very same part Patrick posted, is that it helps with the gusty conditions to prevent overreacting of the truck/trailer when the gust hits and when it ends abruptly.

My experience with a 2500 Suburban towing a 3 horse slant (approx 7500 lbs) when comparing a D load range vs. a E load range of the same size/brand, the D tire has much more lateral sway and less tread stability. The whole rig feels "squishy" with a D tire, to use a technical term.

LT tires will make a difference. If however you don't have an anti-sway hitch setup such as a Reese dual cam or equalizer that should be your first purchase. If you do have one of these and still getting sway you should double check the setup.

Have the weight distributing hitch but no antisway bar. The camper is 26' long(just about 30 with hitch) and isn't bad except when the wind is blowing about 15mph or more directly from the side. I don't want to spend the money on a antisway system if LT tires are a better way to go, both for sway and safety when towing a heavier load.

They help but are NOT a "better" way to go or at all a substitute for an anti-sway system.

Archived